Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 525 of 722

Thread: College Basketball 2013-14

  1. #511
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: College Basketball 2013-14

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I'd rate the Illinois job higher than Marquette.

    Illinois could be a juggernaut with the right coach in there with that recruiting base.
    You mean when they had guys in there like Lou Henson, Lon Kruger, Bill Self, and Bruce Weber? Dick Vitale once called Illinois the best coaching job out there that nobody knows about.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #512
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,674

    Re: College Basketball 2013-14

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Seems like Masiello could have waited around and done better than USF. That's a tough gig, though I suppose an argument can be made that moving from the Big East to the AAC is actually a net positive for the USF hoops program.
    Looks like he will get another shot,wonder if Manhattan will take him back.
    Go Gators!

  4. #513
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: College Basketball 2013-14

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Looks like he will get another shot,wonder if Manhattan will take him back.
    So bizarre. Is this the Kentucky Derby ticket issue from a couple years back coming back to haunt him?
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 03-26-2014 at 09:38 AM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  5. #514
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: College Basketball 2013-14

    Nevermind... Falsified resume... When will these guys learn???
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  6. #515
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: College Basketball 2013-14

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    You mean when they had guys in there like Lou Henson, Lon Kruger, Bill Self, and Bruce Weber? Dick Vitale once called Illinois the best coaching job out there that nobody knows about.
    It would be if there was somebody who could recruit Chicago. Anthony Davis and Derrick Rose alone are prime examples.

    Don't know if this is true or not, but I remember when Weber got canned reading that Illinois couldn't recruit Chicago because they didn't have an African American coach. Something about the AAU circuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  7. #516
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: College Basketball 2013-14

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    So bizarre. Is this the Kentucky Derby ticket issue from a couple years back coming back to haunt him?
    According to ESPN, it's because he never graduated from Kentucky.

    I'd be surprised if Manhattan takes him back. Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  8. #517
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,674

    Re: College Basketball 2013-14

    If you're going to lie about a degree, why not aim higher?
    Go Gators!

  9. #518
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: College Basketball 2013-14

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    If you're going to lie about a degree, why not aim higher?
    How so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  10. #519
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,085

    Re: College Basketball 2013-14

    I bet WMR will personally vouch for Masiello's character. I understand that he had a reputation as a humble, solid citizen on UK's campus.

  11. Likes:

    WMR (03-26-2014)

  12. #520
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: College Basketball 2013-14

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I bet WMR will personally vouch for Masiello's character. I understand that he had a reputation as a humble, solid citizen on UK's campus.
    lol. If not me, they should contact Eric Bledsoe.

    They should have an unpopularity contest between Spray Tan Masiello and Travis Ford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  13. Likes:

    Hoosier Red (03-26-2014)

  14. #521
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,194

    Re: College Basketball 2013-14

    The only problem is that Illinois fans(like Iowa fans) have an overinflated sense of the program.
    This leads to lots and lots of people unhappy with just making the tournament.

    They're essentially as ridiculous as IU fans, but without the dusty banners to (theoretically) merit such ridiculousness.
    When people say that I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  15. Likes:

    Razor Shines (03-26-2014), Revering4Blue (03-26-2014)

  16. #522
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: College Basketball 2013-14

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It would be if there was somebody who could recruit Chicago. Anthony Davis and Derrick Rose alone are prime examples.

    Don't know if this is true or not, but I remember when Weber got canned reading that Illinois couldn't recruit Chicago because they didn't have an African American coach. Something about the AAU circuit.
    Illinois never really could recruit Chicago.......DePaul had that region, and now they cant get the talent either,
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  17. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (03-26-2014)

  18. #523
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: College Basketball 2013-14

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    The only problem is that Illinois fans(like Iowa fans) have an overinflated sense of the program.
    This leads to lots and lots of people unhappy with just making the tournament.

    They're essentially as ridiculous as IU fans, but without the dusty banners to (theoretically) merit such ridiculousness.
    LOL. I was waiting for someone one to mention that. Not only basketball concerning Illinois....they feel they should compete for a national championship in football every year as well.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  19. #524
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: College Basketball 2013-14

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Illinois never really could recruit Chicago.......DePaul had that region, and now they cant get the talent either,
    When DePaul first started their decline, Illinois did pretty good recruiting Chicago... Nick Anderson, Marcus Liberty, Kendall Gill, Ken Norman, Deon Thomas, probably would've gotten Benji Wilson too. And even more recently with Luther Head, Kiwane Garris, Dee Brown... But something WVRed alluded to earlier is something I've also heard... High school and AAU coaches weren't too keen on sending top notch recruits to Champaign because UofI wasn't considering, much less hiring, an African-American as their head coach in their last couple hires. Seems like Kenny Norman was particularly vocal in that regard. Groce hired Paris Parham to be his Chicago link and they've pulled a couple nice players from Chicago. They need to get their Antoine Walker or D. Rose or Davis or Jabari Parker though to make the next step. Tough sledding there.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 03-26-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  20. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (03-26-2014)

  21. #525
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,504

    Re: College Basketball 2013-14

    IIRC, there was a lot of backlash when longtime assistant Jimmy Collins, an African-American, wasn't given the HC job at Illinois (Lon Kruger was hired) when Henson retired in '96.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25