Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2013-14

Re: College Basketball 2013-14

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Payne was offered but never seriously considered OSU for some reason.

I'm hearing Kennard is a Duke lean at this point. I thought he would be UK bound.
    Where would Payne have fit in that recruiting class? Sullinger, Thomas, and Seibert were all bigger gets that year. The thing about recruiting is some times you hit and some times you miss. To be honest through the first 3 years of Payne's career I was perfectly happy with Thomas over him. Heck if Thomas would have stayed for his senior year I think OSU would been quite content with Thomas over Payne.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Where would Payne have fit in that recruiting class? Sullinger, Thomas, and Seibert were all bigger gets that year. The thing about recruiting is some times you hit and some times you miss. To be honest through the first 3 years of Payne's career I was perfectly happy with Thomas over him. Heck if Thomas would have stayed for his senior year I think OSU would been quite content with Thomas over Payne.
    Sullinger and Thomas were ranked higher, but Sibert was not a 5-star guy like Payne was in some services (both Scout and Rivals gave Payne 5-stars). And had they had Payne, Sully would have played the 4 and Thomas the 3 a decent amount in 2012 (Payne would not have been good enough to play in '11). There was no either/or as Thomas and Sullinger had committed when they were pretty young, yet Matta continued to recruit Payne. I would guess Weatherspoon would never have been offered had Payne committed to OSU. I believe he was the last commitment in that class.
    Last edited by RiverRat13; 01-24-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    One other note: Florida State appears to be, once again, exceeding pre season expectations. Leonard Hamilton quietly continues to do a nice job in Tallahassee.
    They've gotten the defense back on track after a mediocre 2012-13. The four seasons before that, they ranked something like 5-1-1-7 in Division 1 FG% defense. I think they're either #5 or #6 in that category right now, and they look like they did a few years ago: tall, athletic, relentless.

Unfortunately, they still struggle for long stretches with concepts like "take care of the ball" and "play offense," so I'm expecting something like a seed in the 7-9 range and win-one-lose-one exit from the NCAAs.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    The other problem is that Ohio hasn't produced a top big men since Sully. The state had a nice string there with Koufus, Mullens (who didn't do a whole lot at OSU) and Sullinger as all 5-star type talents. There hasn't been a whole lot of frontcourt talent in Ohio lately and outside of Bragg there isn't much coming that I know of until maybe this year's freshman class.
    Isn't that a problem across the nation? You hardly see great big men any more. Even in the NBA where Dwight Howard is the "best" big man in NBA by default. Olajuwon and Shaq would leave Howard crying into his gatorade. Style has moved away from the big men its more about PG and PF IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

My adopted hometown Shockers now up to #3 and #4 in the polls. I'm hoping this town gets another Final Four run. A matchup with KU when they get there would be icing on the cake.

So do you think they've already engraved Doug McDermott's name on all the national player of the year trophies? If not, they may as well go ahead and start tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    So do you think they've already engraved Doug McDermott's name on all the national player of the year trophies? If not, they may as well go ahead and start tonight.
    Times certainly have changed. Pete Maravich averaged over 44 points per game in college. Without a shot clock. Without a three-point line. I understand there are no comparing different eras, but Maravich was simply amazing at LSU. Pistol Pete may not have been the best collegiate player ever. But, to me, he was the most entertaining.

Found this tidbit surfing the web:

Dale Brown calculated that at the NCAA rule of a three-point line at 19 feet 9 inches (6.02 m) from the rim, Maravich would have averaged thirteen 3-point scores per game, lifting the player's career average to 57 points per game.

Well before my time, but the knock on Maravich has been that his LSU teams sucked. Part of that was, I'm sure, because his dad was a lousy coach and let Pete do whatever he wanted. At 44 PPG, that wasn't a terrible decision, but he probably should have tried to find another competent player or two.

Ohio State has managed to go from #2 or #3 in the country to Bubble team. Impressive.

11. Likes:

CoachBombay (01-30-2014)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Down goes Wisconsin at home against Northwestern.

What a whacked-out night in the B1G.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Northwestern is the new Wisconsin.

Sure didn't anticipate Georgetown taking out Michigan State on a neutral court. Georgetown has been terrible lately (5 losses in a row and 6 of 7 coming in).

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Northwestern is the new Wisconsin.
    LOL....yepper, they win ugly!

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

With the Super Bowl in the past, here are the ten things you need to know about college basketball.

1. Injuries plaguing two of the nation’s best.

2. Andrew Wiggins is overrated and underrated.

3. Tyler Ennis is the nation’s best freshman.

4. The Big 12, not the ACC, is the best conference.

5. The Big Ten is nuts.

6. Kentucky’s talented, but can they win a title?

7. Doug McDermott has been awesome.

8. Wichita State is better than they were last year.

9. Best team in the American is … Cincinnati?

10. The Mountain West is down, but SDSU isn’t.

For further explanation, read on.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...ge-basketball/
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Isn't that a problem across the nation? You hardly see great big men any more. Even in the NBA where Dwight Howard is the "best" big man in NBA by default. Olajuwon and Shaq would leave Howard crying into his gatorade. Style has moved away from the big men its more about PG and PF IMO.
    Naw, I would say that Roy Hibbert is the best big man in the NBA!!!!!!!!

But you are right.....the shot clock and the three point shot have changed the college game. It is more about guard play and silky smooth 6-8 guys.

Turn Off Ads?