Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mat Latos: Bone Spur-atos

So about these bone chips.....

Anyone know the severity of Latos' injury? Bone chips don't sound good but Baker is optimistic Latos can pitch Thursday. Off season surgery needed to clean out?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So about these bone chips.....

Maybe no surgery. Most pitchers develop small chips in their elbows. Goes with the territory. As I understand it, it is only when these chips float into an area where they rub against ligaments or irritate joint alinement that they cause problems. Swelling, soreness, tenderness. Surgery isn't always necessary because they can be manipulated with massage, and other non-invasive procedures back into non irritating areas. Th problem with surgery is the chips tend to recur anyway, so unless they are larger than normal or refuse to be dislodged from an offending area, non invasive procedures are preferred. If surgery is required, the sooner the better. Scott Diamond of the Twins had chips cleaned out last December, for example, and returned in April but only regained full velocity and effectiveness late in the year. Let's hope it's something that can be dealt with in the trainer's room.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Re: So about these bone chips.....

Considering how short the playoffs are, if they can get the current inflamation to go away he could be fine short term. I think the problem is that the chips can move around and cause more inflammation at any time. The surgery often does not require any cutting an tendons or ligaments-just finding and sucking out the larger chips. It's invasive so it obviously requires at least a couple of weeks of recovery time.

Mat Latos: Bone Spur-atos

ctrent ‏@ctrent 43m
    Mat Latos didn't want to talk. Reds trainer Paul Lessard said X-rays confirmed he has bone spurs in right elbow
    Discuss.

Re: Mat Latos: Bone Spur-atos

Another reason I wish Cingrani had pitched some toward the end.... If he were healthy he can be lights out.

I'm just wondering if anyone besides me thinks the "Curse of the Bambino" fell off of the Red Sox and landed on the Reds.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Another reason I wish Cingrani had pitched some toward the end.... If he were healthy he can be lights out.

I'm just wondering if anyone besides me thinks the "Curse of the Bambino" fell off of the Red Sox and landed on the Reds.
    No. But the curse of Pete Rose has been in full effect since he was banned from the Hall of Fame in 1991. Sports in this city since then have well, a terrible history. Thanks again Pete.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No. But the curse of Pete Rose has been in full effect since he was banned from the Hall of Fame in 1991. Sports in this city since then have well, a terrible history. Thanks again Pete.
    Doug, our beloved Bearcats (yes, I love them too) made the Final Four in 1992, just after that.

I understand your Pete Rose angst.

Please give it a rest?

9. Likes:

jimbo (10-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Doug, our beloved Bearcats (yes, I love them too) made the Final Four in 1992, just after that.

Please give it a rest?
    So the Bearcats didn't finish that year?

My Pete Rose theory is every bit as good as the curse of the Bambino.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So the Bearcats didn't finish that year?

My Pete Rose theory is every bit as good as the curse of the Bambino.
    Well, I consider reaching the Final Four a success.

I never thought you were one of those "anything less than a national championship is a failure" kind of guys. I know you're not, you're just a frustrated Cincinnatian.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

Please give it a rest?
    I don't understand the
    This is the first that I have heard this one.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

For comparison, Josh Johnson has bone chip surgery:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...-training.html

Righty Josh Johnson underwent minor elbow surgery this morning to remove bone spurs, agent Matt Sosnick tells MLBTR. Dr. James Andrews performed the procedure, telling Johnson he feels the discomfort caused by the spurs was the cause of his struggles with the Blue Jays this year. No issues were found with Johnson's elbow ligament. Johnson will be throwing in five weeks, and will be ready for spring training.

Might not be a huge deal but another reason why the idea of locking up Latos long term right now is not a great one. Latos is most likely at his peak value wise right now and probably not offering any discounts. Bailey certainly will not be a bargain this close to Free Agency.

What would have seemed crazy a few weeks ago is possibly exploring the idea of extending Cueto. Could actually be some bargain there as he might like the idea of guaranteed money considering injury history and still 2 years away from Free Agency. Not big on extending pitchers contracts but he is now the only one of those 3 I would look at right now.

Turn Off Ads?