Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cueto - Liriano

Cueto - Liriano

I referenced this in the game thread, but there's quite a bit of poetry in tonight's matchup. Circumstances have deemed that the Reds and Pirates are throwing Cueto and Liriano respectively, neither of whom were assured this start even a week ago. Two great pitchers who have appeared in two postseason games apiece, minimal innings (a little more than seven for Liriano, just over five for Cueto) and not a win to their credit yet. Both from the Dominican Republic. Both wear #47. Both rebounding from serious injuries this season to earn the starting spot in the year's most important game. Both often having played quiet second fiddle to a more firey, ace-y teammate this season.

Cueto is a farm kid and Liriano was an iffy FA signing. They're not similar pitchers in style: a strikeout southpaw vs. a more crafty righthander. But I have to imagine there is a lot of mutual respect between them and I expect -- and hope for, in some ways -- a low-scoring nailbiter of a game.

Honestly? Thinking about the starting pitching makes me feel better about this game than anything else. My gut tells me that Cueto is more of a gamer than Liriano. And I suspect that deep down Cueto feels that he's due.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-01-2013),MattyHo4Life (10-01-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Cueto - Liriano

Except the Reds can't hit lefties. That worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    The Reds are responsible for 50% (4 of 8) of Liriano's homers this year. He's near-unhittable, but he's susceptible to the long ball against this team. Just takes a leeeeettle misplacement on a strikeout pitch...

6. Likes:

TRF (10-01-2013)

Performance-wise, we know what the Reds will likely get from Cueto.

Health-wise, my hope is that 2013 regular and post-seasons are the mirror images of his 2012 campaign. In that sense, vaticanplum is right that Cueto is "due."

Liriano has been flaky throughout his career, and has been historically great against lefties this year. Historically great scenarios do not tend to hold in the postseason, especially when coming from an inconsistent performer.

Both of these guys are "due" for some mean reversion, and I hope that benefits the Reds.

Cueto is a good man and even better red

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Actually they do hit lefties. About the same as righties. Choo is the only lefty that has problems, and he's improved 100% as the season wore on.

Liriano has started 4 games vs. the Reds this year, and the Pirates are 0-4 in thos games.

He's a great pitcher, but Cueto has had way more success vs. the Pirates than Liriano has against the Reds.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Circumstances have deemed that the Reds and Pirates are throwing Cueto and Liriano respectively, neither of whom were assured this start even a week ago.
    Liriano has been scheduled to pitch the WC game for about the last month.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Liriano has been scheduled to pitch the WC game for about the last month.
    That was not definite. There was still talk of Burnett being a possibility. I heard about this every single day.

Turn Off Ads?