Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The most important lineup decision of 2013...

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Re: The most important lineup decision of 2013...

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    A. The concern right now has to be pursuing a championship---not pursuing a free agent...
    B. Choo resigning is a long-shot to put it mildly...
    You're right about what the focus should be. But if you think anyone other than Choo gives us a better chance at winning this game then you are crazy.

2. Likes:

RadfordVA (10-01-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I seem to have convinced no one - I'm even being called crazy. Well get back to me after the 0-4 with a couple misjudged balls in Center.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I seem to have convinced no one - I'm even being called crazy. Well get back to me after the 0-4 with a couple misjudged balls in Center.
    You aren't crazy. You just don't understand how to choose the best lineup.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Even is Choo does go 0-4, who is to say that ANY replacement would not do the same. I think the old saying is "you gotta dance with the one who brought you".

7. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-01-2013), RadfordVA (10-01-2013)

Let me spare you an afternoon of wondering: Choo is going to lead off and play CF tonight...and every other game of the playoffs, for that matter.

Hopefully the Liriano gives up enough runs where Choo won't have to worry about him after the fourth inning.

Reds ‏@Reds 1m
    Reds Wild Card Game lineup:
    Choo CF
    Ludwick LF
    Votto 1B
    Phillips 2B
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3B
    Cozart SS
    Hanigan C
    Cueto P

11. Likes:

powersackers (10-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    Even is Choo does go 0-4, who is to say that ANY replacement would not do the same. I think the old saying is "you gotta dance with the one who brought you".
    Given the history, I think that nearly everyone in the Reds dugout has a better chance to have success against Liriano. We aren't talking about 10 PA's. We are talking about 32 and they were awful.

I get the whole "play who got you there" stuff. I do. And I don't think any manager in baseball would sit Choo given this situation. That doesn't mean it isn't a decent idea though. Offensively, you shouldn't expect anything against Liriano from Choo. Defensively, he is probably the 5th best center fielder on the team behind Hamilton, Heisey, Robinson and Bruce. At best he is the 4th best.

13. Likes:

powersackers (10-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Given the history, I think that nearly everyone in the Reds dugout has a better chance to have success against Liriano. We aren't talking about 10 PA's. We are talking about 32 and they were awful.
    32 PA spread over 5 seasons. I would not let anything from those numbers aid in making the decision here. That sample is pretty much insignificant. He started out his career against John Danks 6 for 13. Then proceeded to go 2 for 15. Head to head matchups have been shown to not be highly predictive.

I would be more focused on his 979 PA against LH starters in career in which he has an OBP of .372. Still extremely valuable despite lack of power.

Is replacing Choo tonight the worst idea in the world? It's not. But you only do it if you have a good option to do it with.

Chris Heisey is not a good option.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I was also called "crazy" for suggesting Hamilton should replace Choo tonight.

I guess we can hope Liriano is wild in the first and Choo draws a BB or HBP.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I was also called "crazy" for suggesting Hamilton should replace Choo tonight.

I guess we can hope Liriano is wild in the first and Choo draws a BB or HBP.
    Not Crazy. Hamilton could bunt 4 times and likely reach base more than Choo swinging away.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

I'll take Choo. If Liriano doesn't have good control he will walk. Also, while he has struggled, he knows Liriano better than any other Reds hitter, from the AL.

I'll take Choo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'll take Choo. If Liriano doesn't have good control he will walk. Also, while he has struggled, he knows Liriano better than any other Reds hitter, from the AL.

I'll take Choo.
    I hope you're right, but you're assuming Liriano has had good control the other 26 times Choo didn't get on base against him I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    32 PA spread over 5 seasons. I would not let anything from those numbers aid in making the decision here. That sample is pretty much insignificant. He started out his career against John Danks 6 for 13. Then proceeded to go 2 for 15. Head to head matchups have been shown to not be highly predictive.

I would be more focused on his 979 PA against LH starters in career in which he has an OBP of .372. Still extremely valuable despite lack of power.
    Trust me, I am not much of a "pitcher/batter match up" thing, but let's be honest here. Choo doesn't hit any lefties well. What Choo does do against lefties is walk. Except that he has one walk in 32 plate appearances against him. Choo draws a lot of walks, always has. Against Liriano he has a 3% walk rate. At some point the sample does indeed tell us something. I believe when the sample against Liriano and all lefties in general combine here, it gives some idea to that it may be wise to not play Choo until Liriano has left the game.

Turn Off Ads?