Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dat Dude:"We need to put our pride aside and play smallball!

Re: Dat Dude:"We need to put our pride aside and play smallball!

When you start saying that you have to give away outs to win before the game has started then you've already have given up the regular approach before you've hit the field.

Not what I want to hear from the RH cleanup hitter the day before playing a LH pitcher

2. Likes:

dougdirt (10-01-2013),jojo (10-01-2013),joshua (10-02-2013),Larkin Fan (10-01-2013),Number_Fourteen (10-01-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Willie Mays Hayes telling others to put pride aside and to give away even more outs.

You just can't make this stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If you are talking about the play in the first inning of game three, Phillips was stealing second when the ball got by Posey, who subsequently gunned him down at third.
    If you are talking about another play, just forget that I ever typed this.

But your point is well taken.

A TOOTBLAN by any other name......
    I was there. I still believe that base running blunder cost the Reds the series last year.

6. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (10-01-2013)

Every time DatDude opens his mouth it makes me sicker and sicker about his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    I'd actually prefer they win.
    Win. Just get the job done. Whether that's with "small ball" or with a few homers, doesn't matter. Just win.
    All that matters. Approach, in baseball, is not bad, but when you are married to a single approach at all costs, I don't believe it is ever a good thing. The ability to adjust to a situation is important. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 10-01-2013 at 09:53 AM.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-01-2013),Old school 1983 (10-01-2013)

It's interesting when that when the articulate Arroyo speaks his mind, it's welcomed with open arms (Other than his first reference to liking Boston when Arroyo first got here).

Phillips speaks his mind, and suddenly everyone says he's stupid?
    Why can't people let that magazine article go? The Reds told Phillips there was no money (as a negotiating tactic) because they prefered to sign Votto first. I can understand how that would cause some hard feelings. It doesn't mean I think Phillips > Votto, but Phillips is human and I can understand his feelings being hurt.

Now Phillips is saying the Reds need to play small ball.. seems like a smart thing to say, because Liniaro is stingy at giving up hits, and people are calling him stupid..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

11. Likes:

Crumbley (10-01-2013),dubc47834 (10-01-2013),jimbo (10-01-2013),joshua (10-02-2013),moewan (10-01-2013),RedlegJake (10-01-2013),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Who was our best hitter in crucial situations this year?
    Shin-Soo Choo was the Reds best hitter in high leverage situations this year. Brandon Phillips was 4th behind Choo, Bruce, and Votto. All guys he could learn a thing or two about hitting from.

13. Likes:

hebroncougar (10-01-2013),Larkin Fan (10-01-2013),OnBaseMachine (10-01-2013)

Forget OBP slugging walks or small ball or home runs. Only stat that matters in the playoffs is the W. I don't care how the reds get it, as long as they get it.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    It's interesting when that when the articulate Arroyo speaks his mind, it's welcomed with open arms (Other than his first reference to liking Boston when Arroyo first got here).

Phillips speaks his mind, and suddenly everyone says he's stupid?
    Why can't people let that magazine article go? The Reds told Phillips there was no money (as a negotiating tactic) because they prefered to sign Votto first. I can understand how that would cause some hard feelings. It doesn't mean I think Phillips > Votto, but Phillips is human and I can understand his feelings being hurt.

Now Phillips is saying the Reds need to play small ball.. seems like a smart thing to say, because Liniaro is stingy at giving up hits, and people are calling him stupid..
    Not true at all. A lot of people don't like some of the things Arroyo has to say. Myself in particular, didn't care for him talking about the Mets as a potential suitor for him.

16. Likes:

Hubba (10-01-2013),OC_Red (10-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Forget OBP slugging walks or small ball or home runs. Only stat that matters in the playoffs is the W. I don't care how the reds get it, as long as they get it.
    And the best way to get there is by avoiding outs and accumulating as many bases as possible in the process.

All of us just want the Reds to win. But there's a process that goes into a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Not true at all. A lot of people don't like some of the things Arroyo has to say. Myself in particular, didn't care for him talking about the Mets as a potential suitor for him.
    I guess my point is, Arroyo has not gotten the rage/mocking that Phillips has recieved. No one has called Arroyo stupid yet. I can't even recall someone calling Arroyo greedy or selfish (although maybe it happened).
    If BP in a similiar situation and was talking about his next contract when the Reds were trying to get homefield advantage for the WC, I imagine the pitchforks would be out...
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

19. Likes:

jimbo (10-01-2013),joshua (10-02-2013),RedlegJake (10-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Although I agree with you wholeheartedly, I am rejecting negativity today.
    Exactly! NO NEGATIVITY today! Believe the Reds will win tonight. Believe believe believe.

I have a feeling BP will come through big time tonight for the Reds.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

21. Likes:

Always Red (10-01-2013),bounty37h (10-01-2013),OC_Red (10-01-2013)

This from a guy who has made more baserunning blunders than any other player I can think of -- including the infamous play in Game 3 last year against the Giants.

small ball? I hope he means sound fundamental baseball. Not trying to pull an outside pitch to a lefty hitter with a man on third and no outs with no strikes on you. Basic stuff taught to Pony League players that I see ignored over and over again (not just by the Reds). Stuff like that. Hit your cutoff man. Stay within your game - don't try to do too much. If his definition of small ball includes that kind of stuff I accept. Even with Dusty's love of bunts thrown in.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Smallball is a dirty word around here, but he's right in his intent. They have to scrape across some runs, any way they can. Hit behind a runner. Find a way to get the ball to the outfield with a man on third and less than two outs. Execute a bunt properly. If they play slow-pitch softball, station-to-station on the bases and wait for the three-run homer against Liriano, they may wait themselves right into the offseason.

25. Likes:

bucksfan2 (10-01-2013),Chip R (10-01-2013),goreds2 (10-01-2013),icehole3 (10-01-2013),REDREAD (10-01-2013)

Turn Off Ads?