Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: NL WILD CARD 2013 October 1 Reds @ Pirates

They call me "chef"

Re: NL WILD CARD 2013 October 1 Reds @ Pirates

Do you think there will be enough clean baseballs in PNC to replace all of Liriano's off speed pitches in the dirt?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We finished 4 games behind the first Wildcard team. It's a gift that we even have a shot at moving on the playoffs. We have nothing to lose. We're "not supposed to be here".
    The second wild card is likely a big reason why the Reds stood pat. If taking 2nd or 1st in the division was a life or death scenario I think we'd have seen Jocketty go after a C grade difference maker like Byrd or Mornaeu.

4. Likes:

Mutaman (10-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Except no one believed this team wouldn't be here.
    Expectations, yeah. But after 162 games it's about results and the Reds didn't earn much. I'd be much more nervous if I was the team that was at home and finished 4 games in front--something that I worked all season long to achieve--only to lose it all in one game. That's pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Do you think there will be enough clean baseballs in PNC to replace all of Liriano's off speed pitches in the dirt?
    The sad thing is we'll swing at a lot of those; especially when there are runners on base

Expectations, yeah. But after 162 games it's about results and the Reds didn't earn much. I'd be much more nervous if I was the team that was at home and finished 4 games in front--something that I worked all season long to achieve--only to lose it all in one game. That's pressure
    Reds should feel much more pressure. Who knows, it's up to the personalities, but Reds should.

They blew a two game lead last year in the NLDS. They were swept in 2010. They were favorites to win the division this season and finished third.

Pirates are a great story even if they lose tonight after all the winning seasons. They will say, well, one game, we're back, and go for a victory dance.

The one thing that may help the Reds is playing on the road. Team doesn't seem to respond to home field pressure games that often. It may let the Reds concentrate on baseball rather than other distractions.

Go Reds.

Do you guys know about the duck? There's a huge rubber duck floating around the rivers by downtown Pittsburgh. He will no doubt get screen time tonight.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

NL Central champs

The sad thing is we'll swing at a lot of those; especially when there are runners on base
    If it makes you feel any better Liriano has a 5.48 ERA in his career in Sept/Oct.

They call me "chef"

In the first or second, when Liriano walks two runners on base with less than 2 outs, the Reds need to take a deep breath and remember, "I don't have to quickly strike out on three pitches here." If they can stay patient, they'll run Liriano out of the game.

CEO - Hal Morris Fanclub OC_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I am guessing you are are forgetting about this movie

it was released the same year as this SI cover
    No, didn't forget. Just really dislike the font choice. Sorry, I make my living on such things. It's boring, but it's my life.

So I've never tried to hit a slider... is there no way to differentiate it from a fastball. I mean if you know based on spin/height it's going to end up in the dirt just don't swing!

Anyone who's played the game at a high level care to comment?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

They call me "chef"

So I've never tried to hit a slider... is there no way to differentiate it from a fastball. I mean if you know based on spin/height it's going to end up in the dirt just don't swing!

Anyone who's played the game at a high level care to comment?
    A good pitcher can aim the initial trajectory of a slider to appear similar to a fastball's plane headed for a strike, so that when the hitter commits to swinging they are planning on fastball and by the time their swing reaches the zone the pitch has broke.

But a bad slider pitch will break too early and the hitter can identify it. It seems like Liriano's slider is effective so it's not just that the Reds are dummies. The best way to combat a good slider is to be patient and make the pitcher prove he can pitch it for a strike before you start swinging at every pitch.

14. Likes:

powersackers (10-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    A good pitcher can aim the initial trajectory of a slider to appear similar to a fastball's plane headed for a strike, so that when the hitter commits to swinging they are planning on fastball and by the time their swing reaches the zone the pitch has broke.

But a bad slider pitch will break too early and the hitter can identify it. It seems like Liriano's slider is effective so it's not just that the Reds are dummies. The best way to combat a good slider is to be patient and make the pitcher prove he can pitch it for a strike before you start swinging at every pitch.
    Look at some of these: Nasty!
    http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id...36214&c_id=mlb
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

My heart says the Reds are due to put a beatdown on the Pirates.

My head says this will be Halladay part II.

Last year I was really stressed about the games, at least now I don't have any expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I was stuck at work during all 3 of the final games against the Pirates. So you all can blame me for the sweep. But fear not....I'm watching tonight. :O)
    Why didn't you quit? Priorities man...

Turn Off Ads?