Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds' wildcard roster thread

Re: Reds' wildcard roster thread

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Leake is there for an emergency AND because he's a viable threat with the bat and running the bases.
    I wonder if he can play the field too?
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Leake is there for an emergency AND because he's a viable threat with the bat and running the bases.
    I think you and I may adhere to different definitions of "viable" in terms of baserunning, but yes, that too
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

4 LH relievers... Interesting that Duke made the team.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    No one trusts Leake less than I do, but he is the right choice for this roster. Latos, Bailey and Arroyo are slightly worn out and not likely to be effective. They'll be more effective later this week if and when it comes to that. Leake has also been pretty murderous against the Pirates this year.

Duke was also drafted by the Pirates and spent five years on the major league team. It's a stretch, but maybe he's on the roster because he knows the hitters and the park. Either that or he's a sweet-talking spy.
    And not just this year, either. He has a career 3.22 ERA against Pittsburgh in 95 innings.

There are some lineups where he's not as effective against, certainly. But this is one he's had some success against.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I think you and I may adhere to different definitions of "viable" in terms of baserunning, but yes, that too
    Meaning late inning pinch runner. Not basestealer. But once we've passed a certain number of innings, the less chance of a need for Leake to pitch. It opens up some other possible uses for him. I doubt it happens, but he's certainly more versatile than the other starting pitchers.

Reds ‏@Reds 1m
    Reds Wild Card Game lineup:
    Choo CF
    Ludwick LF
    Votto 1B
    Phillips 2B
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3B
    Cozart SS
    Hanigan C
    Cueto P

9. Likes:

mdccclxix (10-01-2013)

This roster lacks a bruiser, a Johnny Gomes type. I want a guy who can conjure some instant bloodlust if Hurdle decides to have his pitchers throw some beanballs at the Reds hitters.

11. Likes:

vaticanplum (10-01-2013)

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    This roster lacks a bruiser, a Johnny Gomes type. I want a guy who can conjure some instant bloodlust when Hurdle decides to have his pitchers throw some beanballs at the Reds hitters.
    Fixed that for you.
    No one expects the butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    This roster lacks a bruiser, a Johnny Gomes type. I want a guy who can conjure some instant bloodlust if Hurdle decides to have his pitchers throw some beanballs at the Reds hitters.
    "Instant Bloodlust" is the name of the next (i.e., first) Reds rally song I write.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

"Instant Bloodlust" is the name of the next (i.e., first) Reds rally song I write.
    Can I be a dancer in the video? I can do a lot with a Votto mask and red spandex.

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I wonder if he can play the field too?
    In an extreme emergency, yes, I think he could.
    He played just about every position in college.
    That said, I think Frazier or Hannahan is probably a better emergency SS than Leake.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by mrherd05 View Post
    With Cueto's history of being injured, and the fact that he left a playoff game early already, why would Leake, our fifth starter, be the only other starter on the roster for tonight. What if Cueto goes down..again???
    Or, just does not have it.
    Homer should be on this roster!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I guess we won't see Cingrani until 2014.
    I'm guessing Cingrani is being held back in case we need him to start a game.
    Homer, Arroyo and Latos all have little nagging injuries.. I'm guessing if they were all healthy, Cingrani makes the WC roster over Logan.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

No way Ondrusek should be on, with 2 long men and guys like Hoover and Chapman who can go 2 innings he should never see the field.

With Corky on you could use Mez as your first RH bat off the bench, Heisey can't hit anything. Then you can still pinch run Hanigan later on with Billy if needed.

Turn Off Ads?