Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

2014 Rotation Thread

Here's your projected top-5:

1. Mat Latos
    2. Johnny Cueto
    3. Homer Bailey
    4. Mike Leake
    5. Tony Cingrani.

Two of the five (Cueto & Cingrani) had major durability issues in 2013. Mike Leake is a pitcher who is a full run worse in the second half of seasons as he is in the first half. Homer Bailey is in his walk year.

Does this rotation need Arroyo to come back? Should the Reds look at bringing someone in and dealing Bailey if they can't reach a long-term agreement? Can you really count on Cueto and Cingrani long-term?

Discuss here.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: 2014 Rotation Thread

Cingrani will get stronger I think. It's his first full year. Cueto, that's way more up in the air.

Bailey should be extended ASAP.

After Dusty is gone, Chapman should finally be moved to the rotation. It would nice to have a guy with true shutdown potential like Chapman has for games like this.

Cueto was on the DL for a considerable amount of time this season. Latos has been pitching hurt and now has some kind of elbow issue, Cingrani has been hurt also.

If Stephenson is not ready to wait in the wings in Louisville, we need to have some sort of arm to use as insurance if we don't bring Arroyo back.

"So Fla Red"

That rotation can compete for the division even without Arroyo. With a lot of bad contracts the Reds simply have no room for error next year in the rotation and have to rely on those five and good health. No money for Choo and no money for Arroyo.

Walt is going to have to earn his money in the offseason and get to work. New manager, CF/leadoff hitter, couple of pen arms, low cost #5/#6 type starter, an actual bench and a veteran with some pop. Quite a few holes to plug with liitle to no payflex. This team aged before our eyes this year and regressed on defense and the competition in the NL Central will only be tougher in 2014.

If Bailey won't sign a LTC, I think you have to deal him. The downside is 2014 could be the last year of the Reds window with the Cardinals, Pirates and rebuilding Cubs with tons of payflex. So maybe you have to ride Bailey and let him walk after the season.

Trade Bailey for Jurickson Profar, and finally put Chapman in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Here's your projected top-5:

Does this rotation need Arroyo to come back?
    No. Let him go if for no other reason than to make room for Cingrani. You must have at least one LH in the rotation. Absolutely must. I'm having a hard time even remembering the last one the Reds had.

Let Bronson walk. Extend Homer. Spend $5MM on rotation insurance/bullpen. Focus everything else on the offense.

Well, we will likely only have 2 or those 5 still pitching worth a d@mn come mid-August.

Given the long-term life-draining contracts awarded to Votto and Phillips, it's hard to imagine this season being anything but the high-water mark for this team for the rest of the decade.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    No. Let him go if for no other reason than to make room for Cingrani. You must have at least one LH in the rotation. Absolutely must. I'm having a hard time even remembering the last one the Reds had.
    Wood, Maloney, Willis most recent three.

(I'm embarrassed to admit that I had to look that up to remember Maloney and Willis)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Cueto was on the DL for a considerable amount of time this season. Latos has been pitching hurt and now has some kind of elbow issue, Cingrani has been hurt also.

If Stephenson is not ready to wait in the wings in Louisville, we need to have some sort of arm to use as insurance if we don't bring Arroyo back.
    Sounds like Stephenson may be ready to come along the same way Cingrani was this season. If he has a big spring, who knows. Maybe he's there on opening day.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

No way am I trading any pitching. Also, next to no chance I am bringing back Arroyo. He is the 6th starter on this team moving forward. Find a swingman to put in the bullpen and keep insurance in AAA like you had last year. Hope you don't ever need it, but if you need someone in the second half, you may have Stephenson available by then.

I've never been on the Start Chapman bandwagon, but this year has convinced me. Four games against the Pirates and not a single appearance by our (rested and ready) all-star pitcher.

If the other five starters not named Arroyo all come back, then start Cingrani in the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Wood

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No way am I trading any pitching. Also, next to no chance I am bringing back Arroyo. He is the 6th starter on this team moving forward. Find a swingman to put in the bullpen and keep insurance in AAA like you had last year. Hope you don't ever need it, but if you need someone in the second half, you may have Stephenson available by then.
    Agree with all of this, except if Bailey won't re-sign, makes clear he is playing the market, and you get a top offer for him you have to consider it.

He's a very good pitcher but if he's leaving and you get top notch controllable players in return, you have to think about it.

Let Arroyo walk. Use the rotation given in the OP or convert Chapman. Either way. Too many other glaring issues to commit the money to a 6th starter, no matter how likely it is we'll need 1.

Turn Off Ads?