Turn Off Ads?

Thread: FCB Said It Best in Game Thread.... (2013 Season)

Worth The Wait

FCB Said It Best in Game Thread.... (2013 Season)

FCB said it sort of felt like a merciful ending to what was an oddly unenjoyable eason. I totally agree. I know bucksfan has also said similar things.

I posted at thread at the AS break where I called the first half "meh." I feel the same way now that it is all over.

Did I enjoy this year more than the seasons when we were awful? Yes, of course. The Reds had me interested through Oct. 1st, so that in itself is a positive.

And I will admit that my own personal expectations of what we would be sort of colored my perception throughout the year. But I also feel like those expectations were realistic and warranted.

But this season just lacked a certain "juice." Of all the "good" seasons the Reds have had in my lifetime, this was the team I found the least interesting and the one that resonated with me the least. 1990, 1995, 1999, 2010, and 2011 were all seasons I look back on with fondness. I don't think I will add 2013 to the list. I even enjoyed seasons like 2000 and 2006 as much, if not more than this one.

Over the course of the entire year there was only one stretch (the Cards/Dodgers homestand) where I thought the Reds looked like true contenders. The rest of the time I thought they consistently looked like the 10th or 11th best team in MLB.

I guess some of it is borne out of fear. Is this the best this regime will ever manage? Are two NLDS losses going to be our pinnacle? I suppose I just feel like we have a limited window, and it seems to be shutting already and there is no Oct success to show for it.

I hoped they would come through tonight and possibly become the team I hoped they'd be. But instead, they were awful. A truly putrid showing given the circumstances. I'd say it was a wildly disappointing way to end a mildly disappointing season.
    Last edited by Edskin; 10-01-2013 at 11:53 PM.

2. Likes:

Slyder (10-02-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: FCB Said It Best in Game Thread.... (2013 Season)

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    FCB said it sort of felt like a merciful ending to what was an oddly unenjoyable eason. I totally agree. I know bucksfan has also said similar things.

I posted at thread at the AS break where I called the first half "meh." I feel the same way now that it is all over.

Did I enjoy this year more than the seasons when we were awful? Yes, of course. The Reds had me interested through Oct. 1st, so that in itself is a positive.

And I will admit that my own personal expectations of what we would be sort of colored my perception throughout the year. But I also feel like those expectations were realistic and warranted.

But this season just lacked a certain "juice." Of all the "good" seasons the Reds have had in my lifetime, this was the team I found the least interesting and the one that resonated with me the least. 1990, 1995, 1999, 2010, and 2011 were all seasons I look back on with fondness. I don't think I will add 2013 to the list. I even enjoyed seasons like 2000 and 2006 as much, if not more than this one.

Over the course of the entire year there was only one stretch (the Cards/Dodgers homestand) where I thought the Reds looked like true contenders. The rest of the time I thought they consistently looked like the 10th or 11th best team in MLB.

I guess some of it is borne out of fear. Is this the best this regime will ever manage? Are two NLDS losses going to be our pinnacle? I suppose I just feel like we have a limited window, and it seems to be shutting already and there is no Oct success to show for it.

I hoped they would come through tonight and possibly become the team I hoped they'd be. But instead, they were awful. A truly putrid showing given the circumstances. I'd say it was a wildly disappointing way to end a mildly disappointing season.
    My theory...... It's a disappointing season because no one expected the Reds to have such stiff intra-division competition. If the Cards were 5 over .500 and the Bucs had 5 under .500 again, this place wouldn't be suicidal.

Turn Off Ads?