Thread: Time to really worry about BP?

Time to really worry about BP?

The trends don't look good at all.

Last year post-allstar game - .283/.320/.431

This year pre-allstar game - .266/.320/.413

This year post-allstar game - .250/.288/.381

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Time to really worry about BP?

So what do you think the problem is? Is he getting tired? Does he lose some of his excitement for the game the longer the season goes? Do pitchers learn how to adapt and pitch to him the more they see him?

I personally think he plays so hard during the season that later in the season it gets, he has to deal with more and more nagging injuries and they take a toll on him. The Reds need him in the lineup, but maybe in the future Dusty needs to give him more days off during the season to keep him fresh.

He definitely seems worn down. I hope it's not the beginning of a career downturn. He is a key piece to this team.

That being said, his numbers wouldn't be as concerning if the Reds were getting more offensive production from 3B, LF, and SS.

Time to worry about the terrible contacts Walt has dished out. The Votto, Phillips, Ludwick and Broxton deals will cripple the franchise.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Time to worry about the terrible contacts Walt has dished out. The Votto, Phillips, Ludwick and Broxton deals will cripple the franchise.
    I have a real hard time believe Ludwick and Broxton are going to cripple the franchise. Neither is making even $10M a year.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-28-2013),REDREAD (09-28-2013),tomnuetten (10-02-2013)

Phillips best contribution to the team offensively has been his RBI, and as we know that's a highly situational stat and the rest of his numbers suggest he won't be able to do that going forward. Phillips is still a great glove, but it may be time to consider him less of a top or middle of the order guy and more of an asset with the glove and 6 to 8 hole hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have a real hard time believe Ludwick and Broxton are going to cripple the franchise. Neither is making even $10M a year.
    You are right, but they are still horrible contracts, Votto's contract scares me the most, great hitter but the length scares me.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

"So Fla Red"

Datdude, Ludwick and Broxton will make nearly 30M next season combined. That is likely to be nearly 30% of the team's 2013 budget and almost ensures Choo and Arroyo will walk and that any replacements will need to be within the system or via low cost veteran castoffs.

Long term Votto's contract is a big concern, but at least for hte next few years the Reds should still get WAR or better value.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Datdude, Ludwick and Broxton will make nearly 30M next season combined. That is likely to be nearly 30% of the team's 2013 budget and almost ensures Choo and Arroyo will walk and that any replacements will need to be within the system or via low cost veteran castoffs.

Long term Votto's contract is a big concern, but at least for hte next few years the Reds should still get WAR or better value.
    Choo walks because his agent will get some team to way overpay for him. Choo is good, but he isn't as good as what his contract will pay him. Bronson is the same, he is good but some team will step up and give him a 3 year deal for 10+ million a year, way to much to pay a pitcher of his age.

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-30-2013),RedlegJake (09-30-2013),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-01-2013)

Given Ludwick and Broxton's contract expires after next year, it's hard to say that cripples the franchise. It's my understanding that the Reds' share of new contract for national tv renewals by fox and espn will be 30 milion in increased revenue. I have hard time believing they would not sign Choo to contact the Reds' liked just because of one more year of Ludwick and Broxton.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric from NC View Post
    Given Ludwick and Broxton's contract expires after next year, it's hard to say that cripples the franchise. It's my understanding that the Reds' share of new contract for national tv renewals by fox and espn will be 30 milion in increased revenue. I have hard time believing they would not sign Choo to contact the Reds' liked just because of one more year of Ludwick and Broxton.
    Broxton has two more years and Ludwick's $4.5M buyout would count against 2015. I think the FO would likely view this cost stream as;

2014: 15.5M (Broxton, Ludwick)
    2015: 12.5M (Broxton, Ludwick buy-out)

$10-15M guys don't necessarily cripple the payroll if they produce. A collection of unproductive 5M+ guys can kill you unless you are a very large market. Will the Reds get $31M of value from Datdude, Ludwick and Broxton next year - or even 2/3rds of value. I would say highly unlikely and would love to be very wrong on this prediction.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Datdude, Ludwick and Broxton will make nearly 30M next season combined.

Bad Walter at work.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

A healthy full year of Ludwick I think you get value from, and same with BP - maybe not complete value to his contract but close. Marshall will earn his, too, I believe. Broxton is a sunk cost at this point, though. I doubt he's effective again. I hope I am wrong. Broxton is the only one of those contracts I really worry about in 2014. I think the key to BP being effective in the future may be getting a decent IF sub to spell him regularly - say a game a week, all season long, as he gets longer in the tooth.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    A healthy full year of Ludwick I think you get value from, and same with BP - maybe not complete value to his contract but close. Marshall will earn his, too, I believe. Broxton is a sunk cost at this point, though. I doubt he's effective again. I hope I am wrong. Broxton is the only one of those contracts I really worry about in 2014. I think the key to BP being effective in the future may be getting a decent IF sub to spell him regularly - say a game a week, all season long, as he gets longer in the tooth.
    Yeah they are going to have to do something with him and his declining numbers. He is still a great leader and baseball player, but it seems he is on the downward slide. I think he still has plenty of value, so that shouldn't really be of concern to me. My thing would be if his D started getting worse (errors, not diving after balls, etc) because that is what I personally love most about BP.

the Ludwick contract looks bad because he was hurt most of the season and was bad the 1,5 months he played..

but he has a history as slow starter and with his injury I didnīt expect much from him...
    heīll be a good bat in the lineup next season (the contract is not as bad as it looks at the moment)

same with broxton although I have more concerns with him (I do hope that theyīll trade chapman, if the return is right and make broxton the closer next season)

every contract that is as long as vottoīs is dangerous and scary as hell, but itīs sadly the only way that a player like him is staying with your club...

bp is different, he was never as good as votto and has a different style of play (bp lives from his athleticism which isnīt the best thing for guys over 30, an old votto will still be good obp wise...)

Turn Off Ads?