Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moves to make to field championship team

Re: Moves to make to field championship team

Quote Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
    What we need is offense. What we have is starting pitching. I say move Cueto and Bailey for some offense. And if we can sign Choo, put Bruce on the block.
    While I agree that we need to add "offense," I disagree that we should trade both Bailey and Cueto. I could see Bailey being moved for a bat, but Cueto isn't going anywhere. If we trade two arms out of our rotation who takes their place? Our rotation would be Latos, Leake, Cingrani, ?, and ?. Even if we move Chapman to the rotation (which is still a big question mark) it leaves our depth paper thin. Also, I don't think you trade Bruce. Especially if the primary objective this off season is to improve the offense. Any upgrade over Jay Bruce is going to be older, more expensive, and likely worse in the field. If we are to upgrade the offense we can't start by shipping off one of the teams best offensive players. Move Bailey and change for a right handed high obp bat, add a high obp bat for the bench, hire Brian Price, and call it a day.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jwertz View Post
    While I agree that we need to add "offense," I disagree that we should trade both Bailey and Cueto. I could see Bailey being moved for a bat, but Cueto isn't going anywhere. If we trade two arms out of our rotation who takes their place? Our rotation would be Latos, Leake, Cingrani, ?, and ?. Even if we move Chapman to the rotation (which is still a big question mark) it leaves our depth paper thin. Also, I don't think you trade Bruce. Especially if the primary objective this off season is to improve the offense. Any upgrade over Jay Bruce is going to be older, more expensive, and likely worse in the field. If we are to upgrade the offense we can't start by shipping off one of the teams best offensive players. Move Bailey and change for a right handed high obp bat, add a high obp bat for the bench, hire Brian Price, and call it a day.
    Bailey we likely lose after next year. Cueto injuries seem chronic. We have Reynolds and Cingranni.

Bruce's offensive numbers are streaky. He is hard to count on. Plus his SO% is too high, we need to lose a LH bat if we sign Choo.

Tulo has been fantastic this season and healthy to boot. CarGo hasnt been his usual self but he has been dealing with a finger injury all season and should be back after the all star break. The Rockies are fading now 10 games under 500 and while they say they want to build around these 2 how much longer are they willing to try without results. Now if the Reds were able to take on the extra salary I would have no issue moving Leake plus any 3 prispects the Rockies wanted for the 2.

A batting order that goes Hamilton/Votto/Tulo/CarGo/Bruce/Phillips/Mesoraco/Fraizer with Cueto/Bailey/Latos/Simon/Cingrani with Chapman closing equals championship

Last year you wanted to move Hamilton and Mesoraco + the best prospects in the ogranization. Imagine where the Reds would be right now without Hamilton and Mesoraco.

26.5 mil, 36 mil, 37mil, 40 mil - that's what Tulo and Cargo would cost payroll thru 2017. Sure, I'd love that lineup but you cannot forget salary - you just can't and be realistic. You'd need an LA Dodgers type payroll to add them and sign either Cueto or Latos plus you want to give them ANY three prospects? I am thrilled you aren't the GM. The team's finances and farm system would be bankrupt.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Last year you wanted to move Hamilton and Mesoraco + the best prospects in the ogranization. Imagine where the Reds would be right now without Hamilton and Mesoraco.
    Yea it would definitly suck not having Hamilton and Mesoraco.

Bruce's offensive numbers are streaky. He is hard to count on.
    He's the ONLY man in the NL to hit 30 or more HRs in each of the last 3 seasons. From where I stand, that sounds like consistency...and something to count on.

I used to hear similar talk about Dunn being too streaky while he had remarkably similar numbers for about a 3-4 year period for the Reds as I recall. The vast majority of MLB hitters are at least somewhat streaky within a particular season and I don't get why that irritates some fans so much about particular players. It's just the nature of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyecat View Post
    I used to hear similar talk about Dunn being too streaky while he had remarkably similar numbers for about a 3-4 year period for the Reds as I recall. The vast majority of MLB hitters are at least somewhat streaky within a particular season and I don't get why that irritates some fans so much about particular players. It's just the nature of the game.
    Because Marty and Thom rant about it so often. A few weeks ago Bruce was on a hot streak and rather than talk about that, Marty started talking about how this just means that we are closing in on a dry spell for Bruce. Yeah, the team pays him for that crap. Boatloads of money to say things like that about their team. It's mind numbing. I'm not saying you need to be Hawk Harrelson, but you shouldn't openly sound disgusted about the team or openly talk poorly about players.

Turn Off Ads?