Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Reds have two choices for the future

The Reds have two choices for the future

I am so frustrated at the possibility of the return of Dusty Baker that I decided to post on a web site for the 1st time ever.

If Dusty Baker is retained then we have to conclude that he is managing this team the best it can be managed and the talent level is why he is 2-7 in playoff games, 0-3 at home and 0-5 in elimination games.

Hence, if that is the case then the team needs to be broken apart and major components traded or let fly away in free agency. If Votto, Phillips, and Cueto aren't good enough to win October baseball games then we need to try to find people who are.

On the other hand, if we think those players are good enough then Dusty Baker must be let go because for whatever reason he cannot lead them to where they need to be.

I am not sure which of the above is right, but firing the manager is easier.

All that being said I think Dusty Baker has done a good job in alot of ways with his teams, but I think these guys now need a Lou Peniella type to push them. A sense of urgency cannot be created in September, it has to be there in some form in May and June.

I feel certain that the reds will do neither. On the bright side, that means I can still say I was at the Reds last home playoff win, 18 years ago, for a long time to come.

2. Likes:

flyersbaseball (10-03-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reds have two choices for the future

Here is a question, most managers don't like managing under a 1 year deal, which is what Dusty will be under next year, they feel it will "undermind" them in their job. SO? Does Bob give Dusty an extenstion? IF Dusty doesn't get the type of "love" in the offseason he feels he should, does he walk?

I just want to present the opposing view. Not that I'm comparing this team to the Big Red Machine or Dusty to Sparky, but it did take the Machine and Sparky three tries before they finally won a championship. After all isn't that the complaint.

That being said, whether Dusty is back or not I don't care, I'll still back the Reds. Be careful what you wish for though about Dusty not being back - U.K. basketball fans wanted Tubby Smith gone and got Billy Gillespie, Michigan football fans wanted Lloyd Carr gone and got Rich Rodriguez.

Yep, the most talented players are the problem. Burn down the stadium!
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    I just want to present the opposing view. Not that I'm comparing this team to the Big Red Machine or Dusty to Sparky, but it did take the Machine and Sparky three tries before they finally won a championship. After all isn't that the complaint.

That being said, whether Dusty is back or not I don't care, I'll still back the Reds. Be careful what you wish for though about Dusty not being back - U.K. basketball fans wanted Tubby Smith gone and got Billy Gillespie, Michigan football fans wanted Lloyd Carr gone and got Rich Rodriguez.
    If these Reds, under Baker, were winning playoff series' but just couldn't get over the hump in the WS, I would say let's keep things in tact and give it another go.

Not only have these Reds not won a single playoff series, they've looked pretty miserable in the attempts.

Well, I was suprised with this result. I do want to say again I think Dusty Baker was a good manager and had an overall positive effect on the Reds.

The problem was that the team we have now is the team we are going to have. We may lose a piece (Choo & Arroyo) and gain a similar piece to replace to replace him. However, the overall talent level is about as high as we can expect right now as there are no prospects (I am counting Hamilton as Choo's replacement) and no free agent additions to the level. So with this core the time is now to win. If we believe this is world series talent then Mr. Baker had to go, if we don't then we need to find world series talent.

I have grave concerns as to whether you can win big with the core players we have. The lackadasial and bland style of play that permeates the team is set by its best players. Hopefully, someone else can find a way to get more out of them. In my opinion Dusty got fired but the blame is on the guys.

With that, my career as a poster is done.

Take care all and go Reds.

It's all Votto's fault. Can you imagine how bad this team would be if everyone played like him?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?