Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Managerial Candidates

Re: Managerial Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don't see an exodus, but I do see a retooling of the team if Dusty leaves. I think Walt has wanted to build a different type of team, but was forced to build a Dusty team.

Chapman to the rotation
    More OBP guys, less small ball guys
    More young cheap bullpen arms and bench players
    Color me confused.... But isn't OBP fueled by small ball? I can't imagine winning a game by HBP, and BB alone.

Small ball is not a bad way to go, especially if you have some XBH'ers sprinkled in the lineup.

Just a personal preference, I'd rather have a team that can get in and play small ball rather than live or die on the long ball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This is a long shot to say the least, and I love him inordinately, but throw Scott Hatteberg in the mix. Familiar with the organization but removed from it. Young and eager. Positive but understands baseball. I feel like somebody along those lines would be a huge shift and could really fire up this team.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-03-2013),Caveat Emperor (10-03-2013),Edd Roush (10-04-2013),joshua (10-04-2013),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-03-2013),remdog (10-04-2013),WVRedsFan (10-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    Color me confused.... But isn't OBP fueled by small ball?.
    Not in Dusty's world.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    This is a long shot to say the least, and I love him inordinately, but throw Scott Hatteberg in the mix. Familiar with the organization but removed from it. Young and eager. Positive but understands baseball. I feel like somebody along those lines would be a huge shift and could really fire up this team.
    Interesting to say the least. I wonder if Marty would flip his wig just because of his connection to "Moneyball."
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

7. Likes:

Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-03-2013),vaticanplum (10-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Isn't Dusty a renowned player's manager? If they replace him, I would hope they would either go with Price or find someone with a different philosophical approach. My sense is that Rolen or Cairo would be just more of the same.
    I wouldn't mind giving Rolen a go because I don't think its coincidence that 3/4 of our lineup regressed without Rolen in Cincy and Baker and Co remained the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Joe girardi

Good idea, but I don't think they'd be able to buy him out of his contract on Parks And Rec.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-03-2013),Chip R (10-03-2013),RadfordVA (10-03-2013),RichRed (10-03-2013),vaticanplum (10-03-2013),Yachtzee (10-03-2013)

The more I think about it the more I like Rolen to take the helm. He is young, has leadership, most likely a player manner, and the biggest bonus is that he knows the players already too.

But I think Price is still the first choice.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

I think if you're going to shake it up, shake it all the way up.

Everybody loves Maddon, so what about stealing some of his people? Dave Martinez? Jim Hickey? It seems both of those guys might be "ready."
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-04-2013),George Anderson (10-03-2013),Revering4Blue (10-03-2013)

Eric Wedge is available.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Can we get a consensus on how we feel about Joe Morgan?

Knowing BC, I'm thinking it will be a name hire, either because of experience and past wins or because of being a former player.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Joe Maddon and only Joe Maddon
    Cause everyone knows if you want to win it all you call Joe Maddon!

Wait that's not right.

18. Likes:

westofyou (10-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Can we get a consensus on how we feel about Joe Morgan?

Knowing BC, I'm thinking it will be a name hire, either because of experience and past wins or because of being a former player.
    Joe Morgan won't be a manager anytime in this lifetime

20. Likes:

George Anderson (10-03-2013)

Is he eager?

Is he even still connected to the game?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Not in Dusty's world.
    Who exactly on the team was brought in for their excellence in small ball?

The only starting Free Agent is Ludwick. Not exactly Willie Mcgee. I do not see how Dusty "small ball" has had any impact on moves made by Walt.

Turn Off Ads?