Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Managerial Candidates

Re: Managerial Candidates

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...omeone-fire-me

Someone publicly speculated on Joe Morgan's name. And we hope that's a joke.

To get rid of Baker because he isn't as familiar stats as one might like and replace him with Morgan, who showed he doesn't know about new stats in his previous job doesn't sound like something Jocketty would want to do. Plus, Morgan has no experience managing. He'd just be Baker lite. (Though that isn't fair to Baker because Baker is a warm person who deals exceptionally well with others.)
    Barry Larkin, a Reds icon and Hall of Fame player, is a name that makes some sense. He has what it takes to eventually become a good manager, and he'd be an immediate hit with fans.

Price and Riggleman are good names, as well. Price is about the most respected pitching coach in the game, and Riggleman is a fine manager who was a big part of the Nationals turnaround.

Either would make a fine choice. So might Larkin.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-04-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Larkin is as old school as Dusty and Morgan are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Larkin scares me for a number of reasons:

1. Status Quo. He would be a players manager, basically what we're trying to change.

2. Cincinnati ties. If he wins, he's even more beloved than what he is now. If he loses? I think most Reds fans agreed something had to be done in regards to Dusty, good luck convincing anybody Larkin would be the problem.

The lack of experience part doesn't bother me because the Cardinals and White Sox, among others, promoted managers with zero experience and the Cardinals have done quite well with it.

At this point, I'm all for getting into a bidding war with the Cubbies and Yankees for Joe Girardi. Old school disciplinarian type who would change the culture of the clubhouse and hold players accountable. That's what the Reds need and I don't know if any other managerial candidate is out there who could do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I really like the Scott Hatteberg idea. Might give Rolen an interview too.

There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-04-2013)

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...-Baker-removal

Arroyo supports Price:
    As for the next manager, Arroyo said he thinks Bryan Price would be an excellent choice.

"I think he'd be unbelievable," Arroyo said. "He's as organized as anyone in the game, he holds people as accountable as well as anyone I've seen. He doesn't buy into stereotypical things in the game, things that other people buy into that I don't feel are relevant. Price looks at evidence. He's a freaking smart guy, he makes his decision on reasonable evidence. Sometimes in baseball we go by hunches, what someone else said or they way things have gone in the past. He doesn't do that."

LeCure wants feathers ruffled:

"He knows all the players, which is a bonus, but it can also be a bad thing," LeCure said. "I don't want there to be a comfortability, I want someone to come ruffle some feathers."

Bruce is thoughtful, and sincere.

"I understand that it's a business and when teams don't accomplish what's expected of them there are changes, but any way you slice it, Dusty was an integral part of turning the organization around," Bruce wrote in an email. "The Cincinnati Reds became relevant again with Dusty at the helm, and that's something people should never forget. From a personal standpoint, I'm thankful to have had Dusty there with me from the time I was 21 years old. He taught me so many valuable things about the game of baseball, things that have helped me become the player I am today, and I'm very appreciative of that. Aside from the on field aspect, he took an interest in myself and the other players on a personal level that far exceeded that requirements of a manager."

9. Likes:

Always Red (10-04-2013),Edd Roush (10-04-2013),Falls City Beer (10-04-2013),Homer Bailey (10-07-2013),Larkin Fan (10-05-2013),M2 (10-05-2013),marcshoe (10-04-2013),Number_Fourteen (10-04-2013),redsrolen (10-04-2013),Revering4Blue (10-04-2013),westofyou (10-04-2013),WildcatFan (10-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    Where in the world are the Larussa rumors coming from?

I get that TLR and WJ are besties for life... but TLR, although a good managing mind that can get his teams all the way, would be an awful fit for the organization.... the way that BP flapped his gums in 2010, and the fact that the Reds think TLR purposely snubbed Cueto in 2012.... there is too much anger there to make it a fruitful relationship with this club.
    Let's be honest: Larussa would take one look at the state of the Reds' franchise (the emptiness of the farm, the maxed out finances) and quietly excuse himself.

Yeah but he led Brazil to 0-3 in WBC. Dusty would have been 0-4 at least.

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-04-2013),joshua (10-04-2013),reds44 (10-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Let's be honest: Larussa would take one look at the state of the Reds' franchise (the emptiness of the farm, the maxed out finances) and quietly excuse himself.
    The Reds are in much better shape than the A's and Cards were when LaRussa took over them.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds are in much better shape than the A's and Cards were when LaRussa took over them.
    Larussa isn't 35 years old anymore. He'd be looking for a sinecure, and the Reds are really nowhere close to a sure bet.

Ok I'm sold on Price after reading Arroyo's comments!

16. Likes:

remdog (10-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Jay Bruce just moved up a notch on my respect meter, he is a classy young man.

18. Likes:

Always Red (10-04-2013),BuckeyeRedleg (10-04-2013),Chip R (10-04-2013),cumberlandreds (10-04-2013),Edd Roush (10-04-2013),Falls City Beer (10-04-2013),Hypnotoad (10-04-2013),jimbo (10-04-2013),klw (10-04-2013),Larkin Fan (10-05-2013),marcshoe (10-04-2013),mth123 (10-05-2013),Number_Fourteen (10-04-2013),OC_Red (10-04-2013),PepperJack (10-04-2013),powersackers (10-04-2013),reds44 (10-04-2013),redsfanmia (10-04-2013),redsrolen (10-04-2013),Revering4Blue (10-04-2013),twindaddy (10-04-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (10-04-2013)

Larussa isn't 35 years old anymore. He'd be looking for a sinecure, and the Reds are really nowhere close to a sure bet.
    In that case, LaRussa will never manage again. Reds are easily the closest thing to a sure bet among teams looking for a manager. Can't see a better one coming up anytime soon.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    In that case, LaRussa will never manage again. Reds are easily the closest thing to a sure bet among teams looking for a manager. Can't see a better one coming up anytime soon.
    What about the Nationals?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I certainly hope so. I loathe LaRussa.

That being said, the current state of the Reds...it reminds me rather vividly of the Astros back around 2005. Very solid major league club but with some holes that kept them from getting over that hump and with a pretty depleted farm system. The Astros moved forward from that by holding onto aging assets, dealing even more kids from the farm for fringe help, and signing expensive free agents to fill the gaps making the payroll soar even higher. Let's hope the Reds don't follow their example.

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I certainly hope so. I loathe LaRussa.

That being said, the current state of the Reds...it reminds me rather vividly of the Astros back around 2005. Very solid major league club but with some holes that kept them from getting over that hump and with a pretty depleted farm system. The Astros moved forward from that by holding onto aging assets, dealing even more kids from the farm for fringe help, and signing expensive free agents to fill the gaps making the payroll soar even higher. Let's hope the Reds don't follow their example.
    I agree with the Astros comp. Another that comes to mind is the Phillies of 2011. You can feel the rigor mortis creeping in.

Turn Off Ads?