Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty out as manager

Re: Dusty out as manager

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Sorry for dusty, but glad as a reds fan. It means bobc was indeed as angry as a lot of the fans over how this ended this year, and should portend other necessary moves. Pressure really on Walt now.

Indeed. I didn't think Walt's comments to the contrary after the game on Tuesday were particularly compelling. This was Cast's decision and he made the right one. Kudos to him

2. Likes:

redsfandan (10-04-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Bob was sitting with Morgan when this all went down...any chance?
    There is a chance.

There's a better chance Patrick Swayze will be managing the club next year though.

5. Likes:

WMR (10-08-2013)

I've heard David Bell as a candidate. That would generate a lot of excitement, not.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

If it's Riggleman, I'm resigning along with vp.
    sorry we're boring

8. Likes:

757690 (10-04-2013),RadfordVA (10-04-2013),westofyou (10-04-2013)

I thought I'd read or heard from Morgan that he really doesn't harbor any interest in managing because it would tie him to routines that limit his ability to pursue the things he's been building since retiring from the game. He's got businesses, he is popular as a commentator, has moved into a trusted status as a spokesman for the traditions of the game through his involvement with the HOF; I have a hard time seeing him as a manager.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

10. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-04-2013),George Anderson (10-04-2013),KittyDuran (10-04-2013),Number_Fourteen (10-04-2013),PedroBourbon (10-04-2013),redsfandan (10-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    If it's Riggleman, I'm resigning along with vp.
    Has the guy had any success anywhere he's been? I'd much rather take a chance on a first time manager than go down that road.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

12. Likes:

Slyder (10-04-2013)

Biggest move the team could make. Hopefully this will set the stage for some intelligent moves by the organization.

Joe Morgan is Dusty baker without the intelligence.

15. Likes:

kbrake (10-04-2013),WildcatFan (10-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I thought I'd read or heard from Morgan that he really doesn't harbor any interest in managing because it would tie him to routines that limit his ability to pursue the things he's been building since retiring from the game. He's got businesses, he is popular as a commentator, has moved into a trusted status as a spokesman for the traditions of the game through his involvement with the HOF; I have a hard time seeing him as a manager.
    With all the crazy threads this forum has had over Baker, sabremetrics and on base percentage...I don't know what anyone expect will happen if Morgan took over the club. Not only does he hold sabremetrics in a similar regard as Dusty, but he's much more outspoken.

Good players don't always make great managers. In fact, they usually make horrible managers.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-04-2013),KittyDuran (10-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Bob was sitting with Morgan when this all went down...any chance?
    Bob was also sitting with his wife. I'd give Mrs. C about the same odds as Little Joe.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

19. Likes:

757690 (10-04-2013),icehole3 (10-04-2013),KittyDuran (10-04-2013),redsfandan (10-04-2013),villain612 (10-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I'm going to guess they'll go with a guy who's actually managed or coached before.

I love Morgan, but this past year his big initiative was to start selling red and white wine at GABP. Going from that to managing the team would be one heck of an upgrade.
    This... IMHO, whomever gets the nod, it will only be for next year. They could try Joe out but I hope not. I'd rather not go through another episode like what happened with Tony.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Morgan will never manage. That ship has sailed. He is pushing 70 and has to cushy of a life and to many business interests going on to take on managing.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I feel bad for Dusty but it is the right move for the team to take a different direction. Jacoby needs to go too as this teams needs an entirely new approach. Price would be a good choice but I think they will go for a manager with experience.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

No, not Joe Morgan. Please no... That would ruin a perfectly happy Friday if Joe was announced.

24. Likes:

malcontent (10-04-2013)

I think the next manager needs to be the anti-Dusty...he needs to be a disciplinarian, not a laid back players manager. That means it should not be Riggleman. This is the silver lining that comes with losing on Tuesday. Putting the CTrent-Dat Dude incident aside, let's look at Dusty's handling of the team. As they melted down these last few weeks Dusty's reponse was something like "so what? The only game that means anything is Tuesday vs the Pirates...There's no urgency." Well now we see that there was urgency. He took the risk that after allowing his team to sleep walk through the end of the season that he could not awake them. He lived and died with that sort of approach to managing and today he "died by it."

26. Likes:

bucksfan2 (10-04-2013),malcontent (10-04-2013),redsfandan (10-04-2013),remdog (10-04-2013),smixsell (10-04-2013),toledodan (10-04-2013)

Turn Off Ads?