Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 70 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty out as manager

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: Dusty out as manager

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    And Jocketty said he thought Baker would be back to. What people say and what actually happens are often 2 very different things. Like I said, it wouldn't shock me in the least if he's the Reds manager next year.
    True but LaRussa has some bad blood with segments of the Reds.

Never say never but I would actually be surprised.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

It's pretty remarkable how positive everyone is about the Reds' future. You'd think there would be at least one person preaching doom and gloom in here.

4. Likes:

M2 (10-04-2013),Old school 1983 (10-04-2013),pahster (10-04-2013),Razor Shines (10-05-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Just like the Washington Nationals last year.
    I'll admit I never saw that coming. But, to me, this Pittsburgh team seems to be far less likely to fall to Earth.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    It's pretty remarkable how positive everyone is about the Reds' future. You'd think there would be at least one person preaching doom and gloom in here.
    I would have been. But they fired Baker so today was the first day of the rest of my life.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Just so I'm clear: I DO NOT see the Pirates as some juggernaut. They're an organization that can be swallowed up by mediocrity in the blink of an eye, a baseball team in a football town, just like the Reds. Only one juggernaut exists in the NL Central. I just think right now they're likely to be better than the Reds.

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    St. Louis had some injuries to its rotation, most definitely, but otherwise it was pretty healthy.
    The Cardinals lost their 2nd best Starting pitcher for most of the year. They lost their closer and starting shortstop for the entire year. The Cardinals had their share of serious injuries.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-05-2013)

Don't forget your projection of Ludwick for 2014 FCB...I believe you said he gets cut after 300 AB of a .560 OPS.

Yet the Pirates don't have to lift a finger?

Who will the Reds pick with the #1 overall pick in 2015?

A lot I could argue with in that article, but not the remarks about Jocketty deserving some of the blame.

You guys aren't holding Walt to his GM-speak on Dusty are you? The guy had a mic shoved in his face minutes after the Wild Card game.

Do you want him to sing like a canary whenever he is asked a tough question?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I'll admit I never saw that coming. But, to me, this Pittsburgh team seems to be far less likely to fall to Earth.
    Agree. The Reds were better than Pittsburgh at maybe two positions. 1B and RF (and Byrd really closed the gap in right). Pittsburgh is going to be good for awhile and seeing how they tried to improve their ball club at the trade deadlines you have to think they'll continue to make moves to get better.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yep, though I'd say it depends on your definition of that good. Liriano had a 117 ERA+ and he was majorly assisted by PNC.
    My definition is he was excellent at home and good to very good on the road.

Here's some interesting breakdown (at least it was to me)

vs. LHH
    K/9: 8.54
    BB/9: 1.62
    HR/9: 0.00

vs. RHH
    K/9: 9.30
    BB/9: 4.13
    HR/9: 0.66

Home
    K/9: 8.80
    BB/9: 3.18
    HR/9: 0.24

Away
    K/9: 9.38
    BB/9: 3.81
    HR/9: 0.72

Why do I find this fascinating? Because on the road and vs. RHH, he's kind of the Liriano I always think of when I hear the word "Liriano." That is, Edinson Volquez with some sort of semi-useful "control" powerup.

However, at home and vs. LHH, he's...well...Homer Bailey.

To FCB's point, the guy had a great season and there was no smoke and/or mirrors behind it. My, myself personally needs to see more to be convinced this is "the guy" going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Thin starting pitching, a thin lineup and a bullpen built around two historically inconsistent relievers? No way that team could ever hit the rocks.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    True but LaRussa has some bad blood with segments of the Reds.

Never say never but I would actually be surprised.
    Edmonds wasn't popular with the Reds or Reds fans either, until he became a Red. My guess is either TLR or Oquendo will become the next Reds manager.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHo4Life View Post
    Edmonds wasn't popular with the Reds or Reds fans either, until he became a Red. My guess is either TLR or Oquendo will become the next Reds manager.
    Larussa will not come out of retirement to manage this question mark of a team.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHo4Life View Post
    Edmonds was never a real RED.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

20. Likes:

Big Klu (10-05-2013),BlackPete Ibold (10-04-2013),joshua (10-04-2013),Tom Servo (10-04-2013)

Turn Off Ads?