Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AP says Baker gone as mngr.

AP says Baker gone as mngr.

What it says.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: AP says Baker gone as mngr.

castellini was dealing big time

Dumb move. People are critical of him, but people are always critical of managers until the team wins it all, then they're indifferent, always giving credit to the just the players.

Dusty was a good manager. A really good manager. Next year, someone else will be there, and the Reds will go deep into the playoffs and everyone will say, see, Dusty was bad. But they will overlook how injured the Reds were this year and will overlook a full year with people like Hamilton and whoever the Reds pick up.

I feel they took a step back in manager position. Hopefully the new guy will be better. But I'd be really surprised if he is.

Had to be done. The Reds could have been 30 games over .500 next year and there would have been this dark cloud hanging over the team as the playoffs approached. They could win the division by 10 games and there would still be the lingering feeling that Dusty's teams would choke in the playoffs. His record in playoff elimination games is embarrassing. He's 1-11 in his last 12 games. Also, the Reds completely underachieved during the regular season. That wasn't all his fault, but some of it was.

This was a move that had to be made. Kudos, B-Cast. Now find us a good manager!

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey View Post
    Dusty was a good manager. A really good manager.
    Really good managers can be wrong fits for teams. Dusty did not fit in with the current members of this reds team.

Hopefully they find a manager that won't make comments on a continual basis poking at their best player. They better find somebody that realizes how important walks are.

Reds definitely have a manager already in mind or they wouldn't have done this. I am hoping for LaRussa, but if it's not him, I think Brian Price gets the job.

8. Likes:

malcontent (10-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim11 View Post
    Really good managers can be wrong fits for teams. Dusty did not fit in with the current members of this reds team.

Hopefully they find a manager that won't make comments on a continual basis poking at their best player. They better find somebody that realizes how important walks are.
    I hope we find a manager that feels it is important for your, supposed, best player to perform under pressure.

I do not think the Reds paid him for a huge contract on his ability to walk.

I think you probably don't know why the Reds paid him a huge contract. But this isn't about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey View Post
    Dumb move. People are critical of him, but people are always critical of managers until the team wins it all, then they're indifferent, always giving credit to the just the players.

Dusty was a good manager. A really good manager. Next year, someone else will be there, and the Reds will go deep into the playoffs and everyone will say, see, Dusty was bad. But they will overlook how injured the Reds were this year and will overlook a full year with people like Hamilton and whoever the Reds pick up.

I feel they took a step back in manager position. Hopefully the new guy will be better. But I'd be really surprised if he is.
    I always looked at things this way: once is unlucky, twice you need to look in the mirror, and three times is a pattern. You can't have three stinkers in the playoffs. You just can't. No matter if their is injuries or not. You have to rise up to the challenge and demand more from other players to fill that void. He can't and won't do that. Listen, I have 100% respect for Dusty and what he has done. I really am. But it is time to move on. If they didn't make this move, I can guarantee that they would lose a very big portion of their fanbase. Sure we could strike out with this decision, but I would rather fail at attempting to do something great than do nothing and succeed.
    Last edited by Reds&BuckeyeGuy; 10-04-2013 at 09:19 AM.

This is a positive move. I like Dusty the person, but Dusty the manager had to go. I appreciate the fact that he led this team into the playoffs three separate times, but it really seemed like this team didn't have much life this year. Let's hope the Reds make a good, quick hire and can then focus on adjusting the roster for a deep run in 2014.

Dusty out, time for a winning change

I like the Red's getting rid of Dusty, although his players love to play for him his game management was awful. Yankee hitting coach Kevin Long has already been mentioned for the Seattle vacancy, and I think would be a great hire for the Redlegs. He has had all kinds of success in New York, with post-season appearances nearly every year and a World Series championship to boot. He is the best of both worlds for the Reds, a highly intelligent baseball mind as well as a player favorite.

Possible Dusty Replacement....

Barry Larkin.....I think he would have the respect in the clubhouse which is more than half the battle in professional sports. Just a thought.....but if I were the front office I would explore the Larkin option to bring in a Reds guy.

I really like Bryan Price, but not sure he is what I want for this franchise as manager at this point. I would LOVE to see Bob get someone like Joe Giraldi, yes it's slim, but the man did incredible things this past season with a train wreck in NYC. Offer him the world..

Highly doubt LaRussa is in the cards (groaner right?). Larkin is having too much fun as a TV personality, sans the pressure of being a manager, doubt he'll do it. Someone on radio threw out Joe Morgan's name.

Firing a manager is easy, hiring the right new one is the challenge.
    Last edited by 90SeasonDreamin; 10-04-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Grammar

My choice, Chris Speier.

Turn Off Ads?