Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AP says Baker gone as mngr.

Re: AP says Baker gone as mngr.

Quote Originally Posted by 90SeasonDreamin View Post
    Highly doubt LaRussa is in the cards (groaner right?). Larkin is having too much fun as a TV personality, sans the pressure of being a manager, doubt he'll do it. Someone on radio threw out Joe Morgan's name.

Firing a manager is easy, hiring the right new one is the challenge.
    Great post, agree with everything. Larkin would be another players manager. Larussa doesn't appear interested per a comment made today.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

2. Turn Off Ads?

given the history of player managers, especially players on the HOF level, I am not sure why the desire for either Larkin or Morgan

Bob Brenly

From Ohio- Check
    Managerial Experience- Check
    Playoff Success- Check
    Won a World Series- Check
    Smart Guy- Check
    Unemployed- Check

Sounds like a no brainer?

We need a manager! Not a players buddy. I don't care who they are as long as they make very few mistakes, manage the players personalities, and get the players to play hard, get on base, and play team baseball!!

I donīt see why everyone is so opposed to Barry Larkin. Would i like to see him at the helm? No! Not yet. What he did with the young brasilian team at the WBC though was pretty darn impressive. Sure Brasil just wound up being 14th but having seen some of those games you had to be impressed. Involve him somehow more into the organisation. I think he would be someone who will bring a good mood into the clubhouse.

As for manager. Dunno. But Brenly is imho an interesting thought even though he has been out for a while.

My quick take on potential Reds managerial candidates:

Bryan Price: Interviewed for Marlins job last season. Mariners supposedly want him. Arroyo gushed about him the other day. He's smart, well-respected and you can't argue the results of the Reds pitching staff since he joined the team. If the Reds stay in-house, best choice I think.
    Jim Riggleman: Will get a look, and hopefully its a quick one. Pass
    Delino DeShields: Managed Billy Hamilton in Dayton. Not really sure what he'd bring to the table.
    Miguel Cairo: Jocketty likes him and he's well-regarded, but would it be too soon for him?
    Joe Morgan: No, no, no, no, no...NO!
    Barry Larkin: I think he likes being a broadcaster. Also have heard complaints that he might be too much like Dusty, and too old school. Not a fan of hiring popular ex-players
    Tony La Russa: Has said he won't manage again. Hope he's telling the truth
    Jim Tracy: Hamilton native, but haven't been impressed with his work
    Dave Martinez: Tampa Bay Rays bench coach for last 6 years. If he's learned anything from Maddon, could be a sneaky good hire.

That's all I got right now.
    Last edited by PaulyOH; 10-07-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: formatting

Turn Off Ads?