Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Qualifying Offers Thread

Qualifying Offers Thread

This can be the thread to keep track of Qualifying Offers news and discussions.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Qualifying Offers Thread

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/414088/qualifying-offers-will-be-worth-$141-million

Qualifying offers will be worth $14.1 million

Joel Sherman of the New York Post hears that the value of this year's one-year qualifying offer for impending free agents will be $14.1 million.

Qualifying offers were worth $13.3 million last offseason, so this is a jump of $800,000. The figure is determined by the average of the 125 highest-paid players in MLB. Teams must make a qualifying offer in order to secure draft pick compensation if a player signs elsewhere in free agency. For what it's worth, nine players received qualifying offers last winter (the first year of the new system) and none of them accepted.

Source: Joel Sherman on Twitter

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Qualifying Offers To Be Worth $14.1MM This Offseason

By Steve Adams [October 11 at 3:45pm CST]

The value of this year's one-year qualifying offer for free agents will be $14.1MM, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post (on Twitter). That sum represents an $800K increase from last year's $13.3MM mark.

Major League Baseball's latest collective bargaining agreement did away with the old Elias Rankings and Type-A/Type-B free agent system in lieu of the qualifying offer system. Simply put, teams who wish to receive draft pick compensation for the loss of a free agent to another team must first make a qualifying one-year offer that is worth the average salary of MLB's 125 highest-paid players. Only after the free agent rejects that offer is his former team eligible to receive a compensatory first-round pick.

Last year, just nine free agents received qualifying offers, and none of the nine accepted them. This year, the Mariners have already said that they will extend a qualifying offer to Kendrys Morales, and agent Scott Boras has said they will reject the offer. Rangers GM Jon Daniels also said that he expects to make a qualifying offer to impending free agent Nelson Cruz.

MLBTR's Tim Dierkes recently conducted a poll asking MLBTR readers which players would receive qualifying offers following the regular season. Not surprisingly, Robinson Cano led the way as the most likely to receive an offer. Jacoby Ellsbury, Shin-Soo Choo, Brian McCann and Hunter Pence were the next five on the list, although Pence can obviously be removed from the equation, as he signed a five-year extension with the Giants shortly after the poll was conducted.

**Note: In the 2014 Draft, the first 11 picks will be protected instead of the first 10, as the Blue Jays will receive the 11th pick as compensation for failure to sign 2013 first-rounder Phil Bickford.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Wish my industry had qualifying offers.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

6. Likes:

Always Red (10-14-2013),Beltway (10-11-2013),bigredmechanism (10-17-2013),Boss-Hog (10-17-2013),CarolinaRedleg (10-23-2013),cumberlandreds (10-11-2013),HeatherC1212 (10-22-2013),Jim (11-04-2013),kbrake (10-11-2013),MattyHo4Life (10-11-2013),NCCardfan (10-21-2013),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-14-2013),reds1869 (10-12-2013),Roy Tucker (10-12-2013),The DARK (10-14-2013),toledodan (10-12-2013),Tom Servo (10-12-2013),Wonderful Monds (10-12-2013)

So Choo for sure, maybe Arroyo get offers...am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    that's my guess
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    No offer to Arroyo would be playing way too safe for me. The chance he accepts is worth the risk when talking about an additional first round pick. There is a lot of value in those picks. Look at all the value the Cardinals stand to gain if Wacha is a reliable starter for the next few years. About a 90 million value for a fraction of that. Worth the risk of him accepting. One year deals for 14 million should not greatly alter any Front Office plans, even if he did accept.

10. Likes:

joshua (10-25-2013),RedlegJake (10-24-2013),Stingray (10-24-2013)

The latest has the Reds considering (and Arroyo likely to accept) a 2 year deal for 24 million that would wrap his $14 million QO with his remaining deferred money into a special 2 year deal that would buyout the deferrals (15 million thru 2021). Essentially 9 million additional for two more years with no deferred money left on the books after 2015.

You know, they are going to owe him 15 million of that anyway. Might not be such a bad idea. And it might be telling what they intend to do with Bailey. Plus they wouldn;t have that money hanging around their necks after 2015 either.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 10-24-2013 at 10:45 PM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

12. Likes:

lollipopcurve (10-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    The latest has the Reds considering (and Arroyo likely to accept) a 2 year deal for 24 million that would wrap his $14 million QO with his remaining deferred money into a special 2 year deal that would buyout the deferrals (15 million thru 2021). Essentially 9 million additional for two more years with no deferred money left on the books after 2015.

You know, they are going to owe him 15 million of that anyway. Might not be such a bad idea. And it might be telling what they intend to do with Bailey. Plus they wouldn;t have that money hanging around their necks after 2015 either.
    Interesting idea. Why would Areoyo accept this? He's going to get more than $9M on the open market. Even if you cut that in half because of money being worth less over time, he would still get more than $15M on the open market.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

The report I read said Arroyo was likely to accept a deal because 1/he really likes working with Bryan Price and 2/he really would like to stay in Cincinnati. If it is true then he's offering a heck of a discount actually. It's just whether or not the Reds want to take him up on it.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

The report I read said Arroyo was likely to accept a deal because 1/he really likes working with Bryan Price and 2/he really would like to stay in Cincinnati. If it is true then he's offering a heck of a discount actually. It's just whether or not the Reds want to take him up on it.
    So would that add $14 to this years payroll? While getting out of the deferred money would be nice, that could wreck this years payflex. Seems like an interesting offer, that both benefits and hurts both sides.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

That would be a pretty good move for the Reds, but Arroyo seems to be giving up a lot of money since he's going to get the $15 Million anyway. Got a link to this? Seems really an about face from what Arroyo was saying about maximizing his final shot at a payday.

If Arroyo is back on a deal like that, the Reds could probably deal 2 of Leake, Bailey or Chapman with the idea of filling other holes. That would fill a lot of them I'd think. If Arroyo is back and Chapman starting is back on the table, that would be 7 starters for 5 spots. I like having the depth, but these guys are all too good to be depth guys. 2 could be dealt with possibly a lesser depth guy or a near ready kid back as the depth guy as a part of the return.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

mth - here is the link. The writer is Rob Huff a Yahoo ESPN contributor so take that for what it's worth (not much). I had to search to even find the darn link even though I just read it last night (I knew I wasn't nuts):

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cincinn...0916--mlb.html

Here's another link from bleacherreports that predicts Arroyo is back with the Reds:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...t-teams/page/2

Again, just another writer spouting an opinion but since Price's hiring the worm seems to be turning in opinions around the game about Bronson staying. A week ago everyone seemed convinced the only way he was staying was if the Reds made a QO that he accepted. Now some are predicting some kind of deal will be reached.

Money-wise, I can only surmise that if the Reds do sign Arroyo, even at seems a relatively good deal, it signals that Bailey is not interested in an extension despite Price's hire (because pundits are also saying Bailey is very happy Price is hired, too). I think if the Reds FO believes they can't sign Bailey, or the money would be way beyond their means (and it might if they want to extend Latos and keep Choo) then Bailey gets traded and Arroyo staying looks better. And I agree, if Arroyo gets signed then 1 or 2 guys Bailey and possibly Chapman or Leake end up traded for prospects and near ready guys. I wonder if Chapman for Porcello and Castellanos is still on the table?
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 10-25-2013 at 09:35 AM.

That would be an incredible deal (if I am reading it right).. basically 9 million for 2 more years of Arroyo? Sign me up.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    That would be an incredible deal (if I am reading it right).. basically 9 million for 2 more years of Arroyo? Sign me up.
    Yes it would but after investigating I caution that Hoff was probably pulling this out of his butt with a deadline approaching and as he put down his PS3 realized he needed something fast. I haven't found an Arroyo or Reds FO glimmer of affirmation of this - I am sorry I even posted it - another ill conceived internet rumor it looks like. Jake

20. Likes:

REDREAD (10-29-2013)

Turn Off Ads?