Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Trade rumor thread

Re: Trade rumor thread

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I think the Cards getting Tulo looks bad, but he is very expensive even for his production. The Cards were smart with their stars too so they have Craig and Molina signed to team friendly deals. They also have Wainwright and Holliday making a lot, but not too costly. They also have a plethora of young talent that are going to be cheap for a long time. If they got Tulo then I think that hampers their payroll big time. One player like Tulo making $16M next year and $20M every year after that until he is 36 will be a bad contract in the future.

Don't forget that trading for him will also deplete their younger, cheaper talent too. Not to mention that Tulo isn't the healthiest of players either. 43 games in 2012 and 126 games in 2013. Also, with them getting Tulo, I would think that means that Beltran is gone too. Overall, I think that Tulo is too much risk rather than reward for them so I hope they make the trade.
    Tulo is a health risk, but he's a truly unique player. Only maybe Hanley Rameriz is in his class. Adams and Miller are nice young players, but they are replacable, espeically Miller.

Contracts have never seemed to hinder StL. Tulo isn't going to be making that much more than Beltran did (I think Beltran was making around 12 million/year). More expensive, but not crippling. If the Cards get Tulo and Tulo stays healthy, the Cards will be terrifying.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Tulo is a health risk, but he's a truly unique player. Only maybe Hanley Rameriz is in his class. Adams and Miller are nice young players, but they are replacable, espeically Miller.

Contracts have never seemed to hinder StL. Tulo isn't going to be making that much more than Beltran did (I think Beltran was making around 12 million/year). More expensive, but not crippling. If the Cards get Tulo and Tulo stays healthy, the Cards will be terrifying.
    I agree that Tulo would be dangerous when healthy. However, he would be a lot more costly than Beltran. He is making $16M next year and $20M a year after that until he is 36. Couple that with Craig, Garcia and Molina salaries' increasing as well as Wainwright and Holliday making $19.5M and $17M a season respectively and they are beginning to run thin on payroll flexibility. Not to mention they are probably going to have to give a lot of money to arb eligible too with Axford, Freese, Carpenter, Lynn, Kelly, Wacha, Martinez, and Siegrist all coming up in the next 3 years. Plus they still have to sign other utility and BP guys including a closer. Mujica projected to get $8M to $10M a year. Overall, Tulo would be dangerous healthy, but he is expensive and could cost them a core guy or two in the future as well as the ability to sign coveted FA's in the future as well.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

4. Likes:

REDREAD (11-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

It's the Cardinals. Tulo would never see the DL in a Cards uniform.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (11-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Plus they still have to sign other utility and BP guys including a closer.
    The Cards don't need to sign a closer. They have already named Rosenthal as the closer to begin the season until Jason Motte can take over. I'm guessing it will take Motte most of the season to recover from TJ surgery.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    a starting pitcher that the wasn't good enough to pitch a single inning in the post season for the Cardinals.
    OR he was a rookie battling injuries who needed to limit his innings, but yknow...

9. Likes:

TRF (11-22-2013)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I haven't read through the entire thread, but what about Cespedes for a trade target? Could be a great buy low candidate. With Beane it could just be a few prospects and someone like Heisey to give them a stop gap. Whats everyone think?

Red Reporter's take on "5 pivotal Reds players during the trade season"

http://www.redreporter.com/2013/11/2...g-trade-season
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHo4Life View Post
    The Cards don't need to sign a closer. They have already named Rosenthal as the closer to begin the season until Jason Motte can take over. I'm guessing it will take Motte most of the season to recover from TJ surgery.
    I don't know if this is what the op was implying, but the Cardinals would likely have to give up Rosenthal to get Tulo.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 11-20-2013 at 09:09 AM.

13. Likes:

Farnsie (11-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I haven't read through the entire thread, but what about Cespedes for a trade target? Could be a great buy low candidate. With Beane it could just be a few prospects and someone like Heisey to give them a stop gap. Whats everyone think?

21 million over two seasons is a lot when they already have a RH leftfielder capable of producing similarly. Unless you see him as a full time CF next season.

Strikeouts went up quite a bit and walks went down last season. Seems like the league is starting to figure him out. He could adjust but that is alot to pay for a guy who is trending down and has a bad approach.

How about a MiLB flier on a guy like Shawn Marcum for rotation depth if he checks out medically? I believe he's open to another 1yr. "prove his worth" contract.

16. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (11-20-2013),Benihana (11-22-2013)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    21 million over two seasons is a lot when they already have a RH leftfielder capable of producing similarly. Unless you see him as a full time CF next season.

Strikeouts went up quite a bit and walks went down last season. Seems like the league is starting to figure him out. He could adjust but that is a lot to pay for a guy who is trending down and has a bad approach.

I would say trending is a strong term after only 2 years in the majors. Cespedes played injured most of the season. Finding old injury reports is tougher than I thought... Anyways his ISO last year was .202 barely below his 2012 of .214. His biggest drop in production came from rising K% and a lowered BB%. However, he actually swung at more pitches in the zone this year than in his rookie season 67% to 64%. Also, his BABIP dropped from .326 to .279.

I think the odds are high the 28 year old Cespedes will have a bounce back year, assuming he stays healthy. I still like him as a buy-low candidate. If the Reds really want to, he's about the same as Choo in CF but could be the RH slugger we need for LF.

18. Likes:

joshua (11-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I would say trending is a strong term after only 2 years in the majors. Cespedes played injured most of the season. Finding old injury reports is tougher than I thought... Anyways his ISO last year was .202 barely below his 2012 of .214. His biggest drop in production came from rising K% and a lowered BB%. However, he actually swung at more pitches in the zone this year than in his rookie season 67% to 64%. Also, his BABIP dropped from .326 to .279.

I think the odds are high the 28 year old Cespedes will have a bounce back year, assuming he stays healthy. I still like him as a buy-low candidate. If the Reds really want to, he's about the same as Choo in CF but could be the RH slugger we need for LF.
    Viola!

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ca...d.php?id=53004

20. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (11-22-2013)

NYTImes mentioned Gardner and Robertson for Phillips

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    NYTImes mentioned Gardner and Robertson for Phillips
    I know it's speculation from the Times' writer, but I'm quite intrigued by this proposition.
    No one expects the butterfly

I am strongly in favor, we must take advantage of the fact that the Yanks always have to churn the account and make their fans look like they are doing something

Turn Off Ads?