Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade rumor thread

Re: Trade rumor thread

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    Wins and losses are team dependent. Terrible way to try to convince people of Leake's worth
    OK how about a WAR of 3.0? .2 behind homer and good for 3rd on the staff behind Latos at 3.8 and Bailey at 3.2. all I'm saying is that he's not a bad pitcher, but I do admit that his bad games are like Bronson's...Coyote ugly. But the dude can deal when he's on. Just arguing that he is not a horrible pitcher.
    Last edited by Beatlessp; 10-26-2013 at 10:43 PM.

2. Likes:

jimbo (10-27-2013),REDREAD (10-28-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Beatlessp View Post
    OK how about a WAR of 3.0? .2 behind homer and good for 3rd on the staff behind Latos at 3.8 and Bailey at 3.2. all I'm saying is that he's not a bad pitcher, but I do admit that his bad games are like Bronson's...Coyote ugly. But the dude can deal when he's on. Just arguing that he is not a horrible pitcher.
    I wouldn't back off won loss record. Leake had 21 decisions and won twice as often as he lost. And it wasn't some fluke, he had a solid 3.37 ERA.

Now he did have ten no-decisions, so those games need to be explored, but they couldn't be that bad given his ERA.

I know that it's more fashionable to rely on WAR or xFIP or to focus on peripherals, but I think most teams would view Leake as a successful pitcher in 2013.

Take along with that his relative youth, his health, his athleticism, his good hitting and fielding, and I think Leake is quite valuable. His big downside is he isn't a huge bat misser. Many teams prefer guys who strike out more hitters.

But Leake is valuable and I would only trade him for very good value. Particularly with the injuries to so many others on the Reds last season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-27-2013 at 12:02 AM.

5. Likes:

jimbo (10-27-2013),lollipopcurve (10-27-2013),Old school 1983 (10-27-2013),REDREAD (10-28-2013),Rojo (10-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I think we'd all move anyone in the right deal.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    I think you must have forgot about Arroyo. There is not a huge gap between those two but Leake was better than Bronson.

I'm a fan of moving Chapman. He's got soooo much value locked up to only pitch so little. Sure transitioning him to a starter might get some value but I'd rather trade him for an offensive upgrade

The tigers need to shore up their BP.... Perhaps Austin Jackson for Chapman plus BH?
    no he wasn't. Leake was MARGINALLY better at getting a strikeout. Arroyo was VASTLY better at keeping men off base.

Leake at age 25 had fewer K's and IP than Arroyo at age 36.

Leake's K rate is trending down.

His value is high, but his peripherals state he's walking a tightrope. He doesn't limit hits, doesn't limit walks. I'll give him this though, he's pretty good at limiting the HR. But it ain't like he's Cueto-esque at it. If his HR's for a season rise to the mid to upper 20's, with the rest of his peripherals he's a mid 4 ERA guy.

So get something for him now, while his value is high. I'd much rather see Cingrani in his spot.
    Last edited by TRF; 10-28-2013 at 12:55 PM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

When did the trade rumor thread become the bickering about Mike Leake thread?

9. Likes:

jimbo (10-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    So get something for him now, while his value is high. I'd much rather see Cingrani in his spot.
    The way you constantly rag on Leake, he wouldn't be worth a bag of balls. .

Pitching depth is an underrated asset, and whether you like him or not, he has proven his value on a pitching staff. It's foolish to think you only need 5 quality starting pitchers in a 162 game season.

I've always felt that Leake will be as effective as his home run rate.

He's a ground ball pitcher who too often has been burned by the long ball. Just not a good combination.

In 2012 he had a 1.31 HR rate. Not good. In 2013 he was much more effective. .98 HR rate.

In 2012 Leake had a HR/FB rate of 16.7%
    In 2013 Leake had a HR/FB rate of 11.5%.

Leake allows too many baserunners to give up home runs. If he can throw ground balls with consistency, he's very good. If he allows a bunch of homers in any particular year, he's toast.

Still young, a lot of positive attributes, a valuable pitcher. But he needs to perfect the art of keeping the ball on the ground and avoiding long balls.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-28-2013 at 01:20 PM.

12. Likes:

TRF (10-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I've always felt that Leake will be as effective as his home run rate.

He's a ground ball pitcher who too often has been burned by the long ball. Just not a good combination.

In 2012 he had a 1.31 HR rate. Not good. In 2013 he was much more effective. .98 HR rate.

In 2012 Leake had a HR/FB rate of 16.7%
    In 2013 Leake had a HR/FB rate of 11.5%.

Leake allows too many baserunners to give up home runs. If he can throw ground balls with consistency, he's very good. If he allows a bunch of homers in any particular year, he's toast.

Still young, a lot of positive attributes, a valuable pitcher. But he needs to perfect the art of keeping the ball on the ground and avoiding long balls.
    Put better than most all my posts about Leake. And while i love the depth he gives the Reds, He's probably the best trade chip they have right now.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Put better than most all my posts about Leake. And while i love the depth he gives the Reds, He's probably the best trade chip they have right now.
    Stephenson, Robert is the best trade chip. I would be very upset if he were traded, but I would assume he is #1

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...medium=twitter

MLBTR Offseason Outlook on the Brewers. Author suggests the Brewers might be more prone to moving Aoki. They have Khris Davis who can only play left and Gomez solidified in Center. Braun will likely have to move to right which leaves Aoki in limbo. Author suggests they use him as a trade chip.

Could be a potential Choo-like trade where we can get an OF for a year rental. He is only owed $1.5M in 2014, he has a low strikeout rate, great contact and leadoff hitter, looks to be nearly the same against both LHP and RHP, and he has experience (limited in left and center) in every outfield position. His defense isn't spectacular, but he posted a positive dWar in both seasons in the MLB. Also, he not does have the power than Choo does.

I would hate to see Choo go, but Aoki might be an answer to the void left by Choo. Billy might not be ready and Aoki could be the next stop gap player until he is ready. Also, would hate to trade in the division, but we have done it in the past (Marshall trade). Also, I would think that if Choo does resign with us, then we can still explore Aoki for a LF. Would help with the top of the lineup too. However, we would have 4 lefties in the lineup (Votto, Aoki, Choo, and Bruce), but given Aoki's success against lefties, it might not be as bad to bat them back to back to back....

Something like this:

LF Aoki
    CF Choo
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    SS Cozart
    C Mesoraco
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-29-2013)

Could we buy low on Braun and offer Corcino, Soto, Heisey, and a bad contract like Broxton? I know the Brewers would do just about anything to rid themselves of Braun and just imagine Votto, Braun, Bruce

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I'd like to see the Reds sign Tyler Colvin to a minor league contract.

Just turned 28 and OPS'd 0.858 just two years ago.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-29-2013),mth123 (10-29-2013),Revering4Blue (10-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    Could we buy low on Braun and offer Corcino, Soto, Heisey, and a bad contract like Broxton? I know the Brewers would do just about anything to rid themselves of Braun and just imagine Votto, Braun, Bruce
    Just looked at Baseball Reference and was surprised to see his salary over the next few years.

2014: $10M
    2015: $12M
    2016: $19M
    2017: $19M
    2018: $19M
    2019: $18M
    2020: $16M
    2021: $20M (mutual option, otherwise a $4M buyout)

If you used him instead of resigning Choo, you would gain a LF with power and his contract does not completely devour our payroll either. Also, his base salary numbers decrease just as Votto's begin to increase.

I would not do the trade myself, but I wouldn't hate it if the Reds did it. Perhaps give him a rigorous physical to make sure the steroids are both gone and he can perform without them. Also, might be able to get the Brewers to eat some contract too. Would definitely help us is 3 ways. Add the righty power bat we need, solve the LF hole, and get him out of the Brewers control. They owned us last season without him, could you imagine if he returns to form with that same team?
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    lolz - "Hey Brewers, here are a bunch of crappy players for your perennial MVP candidate."

22. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (11-06-2013),Crumbley (10-28-2013),Edd Roush (10-29-2013),Tom Servo (10-28-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I'd stay an ocean away from Braun and that contract at this point.

I can't imagine the Reds would consider it for a second.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Turn Off Ads?