Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Trade rumor thread

Re: Trade rumor thread

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1995 View Post
    Yankees have asked about Phillips price is steep
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...-be-very-steep
    Precious few teams have $300M to spend on Cano. Why not float interest in some available guys to drive the price down, even a tiny bit?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    [redacted]

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Because Bronson is 36, and that park is a launching pad in the dog days. It tends to get hot in Texas. Bailey is younger, can be signed for a bit of a long term deal into his age prime years. If I were Texas, I'd be all over it if I thought I could sign Bailey to a 5 year deal. The Giants just gave Lincecum 2 years 35M. The last two years, Bailey has been better than big time Timmy-Jim. Similar K rates, but Bailey has been better at keeping guys off base, and the NL West has a few pitcher's parks for Timmy to feast on. Arroyo at 36 plus the heat doesn't make sense unless it is in addition to getting a stud starter like Bailey. And yes, that is what Bailey has been turning into, a stud #1 starter.
    He was just using Arroyo as an example. Signing Bailey to a 5-year pact would cost more than say, Ubaldo Jimenez, Ervin Santana, or Matt Garza. So if Texas is so desperate for SP, why wouldn't they just sign one of those guys and keep the best prospect in the game? These Bailey-for-Profar suggestions are beyond absurd. Let it die. If they do trade him, it will be for a guy of the David Price or Oscar Taveras variety, not a rental #2 pitcher that can be found on the FA market.

I bet the Royals thought Wil Myers was pretty great. And they traded him. You sometimes have to deal from strength to shore up a weakness. The rotation is a weakness for the Rangers.
    And the Royals were immediately blasted by pretty much everyone as soon as they made that deal.

4. Likes:

dubc47834 (11-06-2013)

Bailey is better than those three pitchers. Better by a lot in fact.
    Here is the list of potential free agent SP's from BP http://www.baseballprospectus.com/co...ents-for-2014/

(* – player whose current contract includes 2014 option.)
    Code:
    Starting Pitchers
    Bronson Arroyo    Scott Baker       Erik Bedard       Nick Blackburn * 
    A.J. Burnett      Chris Capuano *   Chris Carpenter   Bruce Chen
    Bartolo Colon     Aaron Cook        Jorge De La Rosa  Scott Feldman
    Gavin Floyd       Jeff Francis      Armando Galarraga Jon Garland
    Matt Garza        Roy Halladay *    Jason Hammel      Aaron Harang * 
    Rich Harden       Dan Haren         Roberto Hernandez Tim Hudson
    Phil Hughes       Ubaldo Jimenez *  Josh Johnson      Jeff Karstens
    Hiroki Kuroda     John Lannan       Jon Lester *      Colby Lewis
    Ted Lilly         Derek Lowe        Paul Maholm       Shaun Marcum
    Jason Marquis     Daisuke Matsuzaka Brett Myers *     Ricky Nolasco
    Mike Pelfrey      Clayton Richard   Wandy Rodriguez * Jonathan Sanchez
    Ervin Santana     Johan Santana *   Joe Saunders *    James Shields *
    Tim Stauffer      Jason Vargas      Ryan Vogelsong *  Edinson Volquez
    Tsuyoshi Wada *   Chien-Ming Wang   Chris Young       Barry Zito
    I don't see the guy on here that's just hitting his age prime years, coming off a season where he had the 13th most K's and 16th lowest WHIP of all starters. That's an ACE. Ubaldo had the closest season to him, except a much higher WHIP. 1.30 to Homer's 1.12. 2013 was a huge bounceback for him after two very POOR years. Meanwhile, Bailey has been getting better every year, the past three years. He's also two years younger.

Not everyone blasted the Royals, and I thought it was exactly the type of trade they needed to make. The Royals have offense. They needed pitching. had they not made that trade, all 2013 would have been is yet another year to collect a top ten draft pick. Instead, they were in the WC race most of the year. They picked up the option on Shields. Davis was a bit of a bust as a starter, but was fairly dominant as a reliever.

My point is the Rangers have no place for Profar to play, especially once they sign Cruz, which in all likelihood they will do. So get as much as you can for him. Bailey makes the Rangers serious division contenders in a depleted rotation past Darvish.
    Suck it up cupcake.

6. Likes:

RadfordVA (11-06-2013)

Bailey is better than those three pitchers. Better by a lot in fact.
    Here is the list of potential free agent SP's from BP http://www.baseballprospectus.com/co...ents-for-2014/

(* player whose current contract includes 2014 option.)
    Code:
    Starting Pitchers
    Bronson Arroyo    Scott Baker       Erik Bedard       Nick Blackburn * 
    A.J. Burnett      Chris Capuano *   Chris Carpenter   Bruce Chen
    Bartolo Colon     Aaron Cook        Jorge De La Rosa  Scott Feldman
    Gavin Floyd       Jeff Francis      Armando Galarraga Jon Garland
    Matt Garza        Roy Halladay *    Jason Hammel      Aaron Harang * 
    Rich Harden       Dan Haren         Roberto Hernandez Tim Hudson
    Phil Hughes       Ubaldo Jimenez *  Josh Johnson      Jeff Karstens
    Hiroki Kuroda     John Lannan       Jon Lester *      Colby Lewis
    Ted Lilly         Derek Lowe        Paul Maholm       Shaun Marcum
    Jason Marquis     Daisuke Matsuzaka Brett Myers *     Ricky Nolasco
    Mike Pelfrey      Clayton Richard   Wandy Rodriguez * Jonathan Sanchez
    Ervin Santana     Johan Santana *   Joe Saunders *    James Shields *
    Tim Stauffer      Jason Vargas      Ryan Vogelsong *  Edinson Volquez
    Tsuyoshi Wada *   Chien-Ming Wang   Chris Young       Barry Zito
    I don't see the guy on here that's just hitting his age prime years, coming off a season where he had the 13th most K's and 16th lowest WHIP of all starters. That's an ACE. Ubaldo had the closest season to him, except a much higher WHIP. 1.30 to Homer's 1.12. 2013 was a huge bounceback for him after two very POOR years. Meanwhile, Bailey has been getting better every year, the past three years. He's also two years younger.

Not everyone blasted the Royals, and I thought it was exactly the type of trade they needed to make. The Royals have offense. They needed pitching. had they not made that trade, all 2013 would have been is yet another year to collect a top ten draft pick. Instead, they were in the WC race most of the year. They picked up the option on Shields. Davis was a bit of a bust as a starter, but was fairly dominant as a reliever.

My point is the Rangers have no place for Profar to play, especially once they sign Cruz, which in all likelihood they will do. So get as much as you can for him. Bailey makes the Rangers serious division contenders in a depleted rotation past Darvish.

Yep. The Royals are the opposite of the Reds. They can produce position players but not pitchers. Trading with them would be a good move if we're dead set on dealing Bailey.

I think teams interested in trading for pitching would take a shot at Price before they would Bailey. But after Price is traded, there's very few great pitchers available. Bailey could get us quite the haul and allow us to rebuild the top end of the farm system.

Reading rumors that the Rays will be shopping Matt Joyce now that DeJesus has been resigned. Joyce would be nice platoon partner with Ludwick and a potential breakout in GAB if used properly. A bit of a defensive lug but can take a walk and has plenty of pop. Salary projected to be in the $3.7MM range.

What would it take in a trade?

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-06-2013), Billy Hamilton's Legs (11-06-2013), Edd Roush (11-06-2013), marcshoe (11-06-2013), mth123 (11-07-2013)

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Reading rumors that the Rays will be shopping Matt Joyce now that DeJesus has been resigned. Joyce would be nice platoon partner with Ludwick and a potential breakout in GAB if used properly. A bit of a defensive lug but can take a walk and has plenty of pop. Salary projected to be in the $3.7MM range.

I like where your head is at, fella!
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Good target. Because we are talking about Tampa Bay here, clearing
    $3.7 Mil is the key. My guess is something toolsy with upside like Junior Arias would get it done.

A similar older player would be Jason Kubel who is a free agent, he makes a very nice LH platoon partner, and I can't imagine he would cost more than $3.7 Mil on a one year deal, probably less given how bad last year was with him. He needs a chance to get healthy and exploit matchups.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Good target. Because we are talking about Tampa Bay here, clearing
    $3.7 Mil is the key. My guess is something toolsy with upside like Junior Arias would get it done.

A similar older player would be Jason Kubel who is a free agent, he makes a very nice LH platoon partner, and I can't imagine he would cost more than $3.7 Mil on a one year deal, probably less given how bad last year was with him. He needs a chance to get healthy and exploit matchups.
    UZR has Kubel being a much less effective defender than Joyce, but they are very similar offensive players. Another good suggestion!
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

13. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-06-2013)

Does Colorado need Cuddyer still? He's a pretty bad RF, but can he be hidden in LF maybe?
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Tidbit in this story about the premium on 30-home-run guys:

With $50 million freed up from an upcoming Brandon Phillips trade – "He's gone," one executive said Tuesday – and the departure of Bronson Arroyo and Shin-Soo Choo, the Reds have a decent amount of payroll flexibility, even if they extend Homer Bailey, Johnny Cueto or Mat Latos, all of whom will hit free agency within the next two years.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/power-o...062513098.html
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

The departure of Choo and Arroyo don't give the Reds any payroll flexibility. We're still at 79 million in 2014 contracts taking them out of the equation. You only get flexibility if you trade one of the players under contract for 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The departure of Choo and Arroyo don't give the Reds any payroll flexibility. We're still at 79 million in 2014 contracts taking them out of the equation. You only get flexibility if you trade one of the players under contract for 2014.
    Their payroll this past season was $100 million. How does that extra $21 million (or possibly a little more if the budget is set higher) not give them some flexibility?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Nice idea but the Reds already have a platoon partner in house if they were to use them as such. OPS vs RHP last two seasons;

Joyce .783
    Paul .775

The problem with platooning Ludwick means he would sit the majority of time being the RH side of the platoon. Not sure the Reds are progressive enough to use their roster this way. Perhaps the signing of Bourgeois signals they can go that way with Baker gone. Since Bourgeois is very platoon capable with his splits.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Their payroll this past season was $100 million. How does that extra $21 million (or possibly a little more if the budget is set higher) not give them some flexibility?
    Arbitration is likely going to be in the 15-20 million range. We'll be using that money to bring back the arb-eligible players.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The flexibility is in future years, which is important for extending Latos, Cueto, Bailey, Leake and maybe even Bruce.

Phillips is actually a good deal for 2014, and maybe even 2015. It's 2016-17 that his contract is a problem. And it's also why signing Choo is problematic. Finding the money to pay him this year isn't a problem. Paying him in 2016 and beyond, while also keeping the pitching in tact is.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

21. Likes:

kpresidente (11-20-2013)

Turn Off Ads?