Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Trade rumor thread

Re: Trade rumor thread

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Good target. Because we are talking about Tampa Bay here, clearing
    $3.7 Mil is the key. My guess is something toolsy with upside like Junior Arias would get it done.

A similar older player would be Jason Kubel who is a free agent, he makes a very nice LH platoon partner, and I can't imagine he would cost more than $3.7 Mil on a one year deal, probably less given how bad last year was with him. He needs a chance to get healthy and exploit matchups.
    UZR has Kubel being a much less effective defender than Joyce, but they are very similar offensive players. Another good suggestion!

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-06-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Does Colorado need Cuddyer still? He's a pretty bad RF, but can he be hidden in LF maybe?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Tidbit in this story about the premium on 30-home-run guys:

With $50 million freed up from an upcoming Brandon Phillips trade – "He's gone," one executive said Tuesday – and the departure of Bronson Arroyo and Shin-Soo Choo, the Reds have a decent amount of payroll flexibility, even if they extend Homer Bailey, Johnny Cueto or Mat Latos, all of whom will hit free agency within the next two years.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/power-o...062513098.html
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

The departure of Choo and Arroyo don't give the Reds any payroll flexibility. We're still at 79 million in 2014 contracts taking them out of the equation. You only get flexibility if you trade one of the players under contract for 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The departure of Choo and Arroyo don't give the Reds any payroll flexibility. We're still at 79 million in 2014 contracts taking them out of the equation. You only get flexibility if you trade one of the players under contract for 2014.
    Their payroll this past season was $100 million. How does that extra $21 million (or possibly a little more if the budget is set higher) not give them some flexibility?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Reading rumors that the Rays will be shopping Matt Joyce now that DeJesus has been resigned. Joyce would be nice platoon partner with Ludwick and a potential breakout in GAB if used properly. A bit of a defensive lug but can take a walk and has plenty of pop. Salary projected to be in the $3.7MM range.

What would it take in a trade?
    Nice idea but the Reds already have a platoon partner in house if they were to use them as such. OPS vs RHP last two seasons;

Joyce .783
    Paul .775

The problem with platooning Ludwick means he would sit the majority of time being the RH side of the platoon. Not sure the Reds are progressive enough to use their roster this way. Perhaps the signing of Bourgeois signals they can go that way with Baker gone. Since Bourgeois is very platoon capable with his splits.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Their payroll this past season was $100 million. How does that extra $21 million (or possibly a little more if the budget is set higher) not give them some flexibility?
    Arbitration is likely going to be in the 15-20 million range. We'll be using that money to bring back the arb-eligible players.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The flexibility is in future years, which is important for extending Latos, Cueto, Bailey, Leake and maybe even Bruce.

Phillips is actually a good deal for 2014, and maybe even 2015. It's 2016-17 that his contract is a problem. And it's also why signing Choo is problematic. Finding the money to pay him this year isn't a problem. Paying him in 2016 and beyond, while also keeping the pitching in tact is.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

11. Likes:

kpresidente (11-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Does Colorado need Cuddyer still? He's a pretty bad RF, but can he be hidden in LF maybe?
    With Todd Helton's retirement, they're probably going to play him at 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Nice idea but the Reds already have a platoon partner in house if they were to use them as such. OPS vs RHP last two seasons;

Joyce .783
    Paul .775

The problem with platooning Ludwick means he would sit the majority of time being the RH side of the platoon. Not sure the Reds are progressive enough to use their roster this way. Perhaps the signing of Bourgeois signals they can go that way with Baker gone. Since Bourgeois is very platoon capable with his splits.
    There's a lot more to it than just two years of data and it will present itself when the projection systems start getting released this winter. I would imagine there will be a minimum 50 point OPS difference between the two...

Dodgers listening on Kemp:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/h...senthal-110713

Damn, I really wish they didn't sign Guerrero now. Phillips would've been the perfect way to offset some money while filling a need for the Dodgers.

From other thread, that's not for discussion, concerning Tulo to the Cards suggested trade:

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Ugh. It's not Tulo replacing Kozmo's production...using their deal it's Tulo replacing Kozma, Beltran, 300 PAs from Matt Adams and Shelby Miller.

The reason I get to include Beltran in that equation is because letting him walk is the only reason they can afford Tulo. Taveras is beside the point, they're not adding him in the deal. They have him either way.
    All good points. I would just add that if the Cards think they can pry Tulo away from the Rockies with Matt Adams and Shelby Miller, they're fooling themselves. It would take something like Taveras, Miller, Rosenthal, and Martinez, and I'm not even sure that package would get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    From other thread, that's not for discussion, concerning Tulo to the Cards suggested trade:

All good points. I would just add that if the Cards think they can pry Tulo away from the Rockies with Matt Adams and Shelby Miller, they're fooling themselves. It would take something like Taveras, Miller, Rosenthal, and Martinez, and I'm not even sure that package would get it done.
    I actually disagree. Matt Adams in Colorado is a frightening thought, and Miller has the makings of a true ace. The Cards take on a ton of additional salary, the Rockies get a replacement for Helton, and the rotation gets a huge upgrade. Plus they get some salary relief. Personally, I hope the Cards do this deal as it actually weakens them IMO.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I actually disagree. Matt Adams in Colorado is a frightening thought, and Miller has the makings of a true ace. The Cards take on a ton of additional salary, the Rockies get a replacement for Helton, and the rotation gets a huge upgrade. Plus they get some salary relief. Personally, I hope the Cards do this deal as it actually weakens them IMO.
    Tulo is 28, is one do the best defensive SS in the game, one of the best offensive players in the game period, and is signed to a rather reasonable long term deal, considering his age and talent.

It would take more than just an out of shape, poor defending power hitter with a big hole swing who can't hit lefites, and a starting pitcher that the wasn't good enough to pitch a single inning in the post season for the Cardinals.

18. Likes:

Brisco (11-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Tulo is 28, is one do the best defensive SS in the game, one of the best offensive players in the game period, and is signed to a rather reasonable long term deal, considering his age and talent.

It would take more than just an out of shape, poor defending power hitter with a big hole swing who can't hit lefites, and a starting pitcher that the wasn't good enough to pitch a single inning in the post season for the Cardinals.
    I think the Cards getting Tulo looks bad, but he is very expensive even for his production. The Cards were smart with their stars too so they have Craig and Molina signed to team friendly deals. They also have Wainwright and Holliday making a lot, but not too costly. They also have a plethora of young talent that are going to be cheap for a long time. If they got Tulo then I think that hampers their payroll big time. One player like Tulo making $16M next year and $20M every year after that until he is 36 will be a bad contract in the future.

Don't forget that trading for him will also deplete their younger, cheaper talent too. Not to mention that Tulo isn't the healthiest of players either. 43 games in 2012 and 126 games in 2013. Also, with them getting Tulo, I would think that means that Beltran is gone too. Overall, I think that Tulo is too much risk rather than reward for them so I hope they make the trade.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Turn Off Ads?