Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Trade rumor thread

Re: Trade rumor thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Does Colorado need Cuddyer still? He's a pretty bad RF, but can he be hidden in LF maybe?
    With Todd Helton's retirement, they're probably going to play him at 1B.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Nice idea but the Reds already have a platoon partner in house if they were to use them as such. OPS vs RHP last two seasons;

Joyce .783
    Paul .775

The problem with platooning Ludwick means he would sit the majority of time being the RH side of the platoon. Not sure the Reds are progressive enough to use their roster this way. Perhaps the signing of Bourgeois signals they can go that way with Baker gone. Since Bourgeois is very platoon capable with his splits.
    There's a lot more to it than just two years of data and it will present itself when the projection systems start getting released this winter. I would imagine there will be a minimum 50 point OPS difference between the two...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Dodgers listening on Kemp:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/h...senthal-110713

Damn, I really wish they didn't sign Guerrero now. Phillips would've been the perfect way to offset some money while filling a need for the Dodgers.

From other thread, that's not for discussion, concerning Tulo to the Cards suggested trade:

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Ugh. It's not Tulo replacing Kozmo's production...using their deal it's Tulo replacing Kozma, Beltran, 300 PAs from Matt Adams and Shelby Miller.

The reason I get to include Beltran in that equation is because letting him walk is the only reason they can afford Tulo. Taveras is beside the point, they're not adding him in the deal. They have him either way.
    All good points. I would just add that if the Cards think they can pry Tulo away from the Rockies with Matt Adams and Shelby Miller, they're fooling themselves. It would take something like Taveras, Miller, Rosenthal, and Martinez, and I'm not even sure that package would get it done.
    "I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".
    —Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    From other thread, that's not for discussion, concerning Tulo to the Cards suggested trade:

All good points. I would just add that if the Cards think they can pry Tulo away from the Rockies with Matt Adams and Shelby Miller, they're fooling themselves. It would take something like Taveras, Miller, Rosenthal, and Martinez, and I'm not even sure that package would get it done.
    I actually disagree. Matt Adams in Colorado is a frightening thought, and Miller has the makings of a true ace. The Cards take on a ton of additional salary, the Rockies get a replacement for Helton, and the rotation gets a huge upgrade. Plus they get some salary relief. Personally, I hope the Cards do this deal as it actually weakens them IMO.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I actually disagree. Matt Adams in Colorado is a frightening thought, and Miller has the makings of a true ace. The Cards take on a ton of additional salary, the Rockies get a replacement for Helton, and the rotation gets a huge upgrade. Plus they get some salary relief. Personally, I hope the Cards do this deal as it actually weakens them IMO.
    Tulo is 28, is one do the best defensive SS in the game, one of the best offensive players in the game period, and is signed to a rather reasonable long term deal, considering his age and talent.

It would take more than just an out of shape, poor defending power hitter with a big hole swing who can't hit lefites, and a starting pitcher that the wasn't good enough to pitch a single inning in the post season for the Cardinals.
    "I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".
    —Bill Cosby

8. Likes:

Brisco (11-12-2013)

Tulo is 28, is one do the best defensive SS in the game, one of the best offensive players in the game period, and is signed to a rather reasonable long term deal, considering his age and talent.

It would take more than just an out of shape, poor defending power hitter with a big hole swing who can't hit lefites, and a starting pitcher that the wasn't good enough to pitch a single inning in the post season for the Cardinals.
    I think the Cards getting Tulo looks bad, but he is very expensive even for his production. The Cards were smart with their stars too so they have Craig and Molina signed to team friendly deals. They also have Wainwright and Holliday making a lot, but not too costly. They also have a plethora of young talent that are going to be cheap for a long time. If they got Tulo then I think that hampers their payroll big time. One player like Tulo making $16M next year and $20M every year after that until he is 36 will be a bad contract in the future.

Don't forget that trading for him will also deplete their younger, cheaper talent too. Not to mention that Tulo isn't the healthiest of players either. 43 games in 2012 and 126 games in 2013. Also, with them getting Tulo, I would think that means that Beltran is gone too. Overall, I think that Tulo is too much risk rather than reward for them so I hope they make the trade.
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I think the Cards getting Tulo looks bad, but he is very expensive even for his production. The Cards were smart with their stars too so they have Craig and Molina signed to team friendly deals. They also have Wainwright and Holliday making a lot, but not too costly. They also have a plethora of young talent that are going to be cheap for a long time. If they got Tulo then I think that hampers their payroll big time. One player like Tulo making $16M next year and $20M every year after that until he is 36 will be a bad contract in the future.

Don't forget that trading for him will also deplete their younger, cheaper talent too. Not to mention that Tulo isn't the healthiest of players either. 43 games in 2012 and 126 games in 2013. Also, with them getting Tulo, I would think that means that Beltran is gone too. Overall, I think that Tulo is too much risk rather than reward for them so I hope they make the trade.
    Tulo is a health risk, but he's a truly unique player. Only maybe Hanley Rameriz is in his class. Adams and Miller are nice young players, but they are replacable, espeically Miller.

Contracts have never seemed to hinder StL. Tulo isn't going to be making that much more than Beltran did (I think Beltran was making around 12 million/year). More expensive, but not crippling. If the Cards get Tulo and Tulo stays healthy, the Cards will be terrifying.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Tulo is a health risk, but he's a truly unique player. Only maybe Hanley Rameriz is in his class. Adams and Miller are nice young players, but they are replacable, espeically Miller.

Contracts have never seemed to hinder StL. Tulo isn't going to be making that much more than Beltran did (I think Beltran was making around 12 million/year). More expensive, but not crippling. If the Cards get Tulo and Tulo stays healthy, the Cards will be terrifying.
    I agree that Tulo would be dangerous when healthy. However, he would be a lot more costly than Beltran. He is making $16M next year and $20M a year after that until he is 36. Couple that with Craig, Garcia and Molina salaries' increasing as well as Wainwright and Holliday making $19.5M and $17M a season respectively and they are beginning to run thin on payroll flexibility. Not to mention they are probably going to have to give a lot of money to arb eligible too with Axford, Freese, Carpenter, Lynn, Kelly, Wacha, Martinez, and Siegrist all coming up in the next 3 years. Plus they still have to sign other utility and BP guys including a closer. Mujica projected to get $8M to $10M a year. Overall, Tulo would be dangerous healthy, but he is expensive and could cost them a core guy or two in the future as well as the ability to sign coveted FA's in the future as well.
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

12. Likes:

REDREAD (11-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

It's the Cardinals. Tulo would never see the DL in a Cards uniform.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (11-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Plus they still have to sign other utility and BP guys including a closer.
    The Cards don't need to sign a closer. They have already named Rosenthal as the closer to begin the season until Jason Motte can take over. I'm guessing it will take Motte most of the season to recover from TJ surgery.

a starting pitcher that the wasn't good enough to pitch a single inning in the post season for the Cardinals.
    OR he was a rookie battling injuries who needed to limit his innings, but yknow...
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

17. Likes:

TRF (11-22-2013)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I haven't read through the entire thread, but what about Cespedes for a trade target? Could be a great buy low candidate. With Beane it could just be a few prospects and someone like Heisey to give them a stop gap. Whats everyone think?
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Red Reporter's take on "5 pivotal Reds players during the trade season"

http://www.redreporter.com/2013/11/2...g-trade-season
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHo4Life View Post
    The Cards don't need to sign a closer. They have already named Rosenthal as the closer to begin the season until Jason Motte can take over. I'm guessing it will take Motte most of the season to recover from TJ surgery.
    I don't know if this is what the op was implying, but the Cardinals would likely have to give up Rosenthal to get Tulo.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 11-20-2013 at 09:09 AM.

21. Likes:

Farnsie (11-20-2013)

Turn Off Ads?