Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade rumor thread

Re: Official trade rumor thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I really like Profar, but there's a good chance if he's an MLB starter next year, he puts up similar production to Cozart. He's only 20, and still has a lot to learn.
    Profar's career minor league OBP/SLG/OPS is 367/449/816, despite a 323/473/696 slash as a 17 year old rookie in 288 PAs in low A.
    Cozart's minor league slash is 332/421/753 after 665 PAs in low A through his age 22 season.
    367 career OBP, primarily accumulating data between the ages of 17-19? Profar can barely improve on a 234 BA as a 20 year old and be light years ahead of Cozart. His OBP was already .034 higher and the power will come.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I think it makes a ton of sense for Texas....not the Reds. Profar didn't exactly set the world on fire against MLB pitching. We've got Cozart under control for quite a while IIRC so there's no hurry to push him out. We've got Phillips already under control and there's no indication that Profar can out hit EITHER Brandon or Zach at the MLB level. I'm not saying he can't....I actually think he will. But it's not a slam dunk.

That being said...why does it make sense for the Reds to deal Homer? It makes MORE sense to extend him. Cueto has health issues. Bronson looks like he's got one foot out the door. Cingrani shows promise, but he's far from a sure thing as the league hasn't had a chance to adjust to him yet. Deal Homer and have even ONE starter get hurt....and you're in trouble.

Just for idle speculation...let's say the deal DOES happen.

Cueto gets hurt and misses half the season....not far out of the realm of possibility. Bronson goes elsewhere. Our rotation is this....

Latos
    Leake
    Cingrani
    ?
    ?

I don't care HOW good Profar turns out to be, we've grown into a serious contender based on defense and PITCHING. That rotation will NOT get it done. Even if Cueto IS healthy, it still won't get it done. We need Homer. We should be dealing NO starting pitchers. If Arroyo decides to move on, so be it. I can deal with the Reds counting on Tony to replace Bronson....but not TWO starters.
    The deal makes a ton of sense IF Arroyo is offered a one year deal and he takes it. And you left Cueto off your list. He doesn't have health issues, he had an injury. His shoulder and elbow are sound. If the Reds hadn't bungled his recovery/rehab by rushing him back or allowing him to rush back, he'd have made 5-6 starts at the end of the year instead of 2.

Here is the list of upcoming FA Starting Pitchers:
    (* – player whose current contract includes 2014 option.)

Bronson Arroyo
    Scott Baker
    Erik Bedard
    Nick Blackburn *
    A.J. Burnett
    Chris Capuano *
    Chris Carpenter
    Bruce Chen
    Bartolo Colon
    Aaron Cook
    Jorge De La Rosa
    Scott Feldman
    Gavin Floyd
    Jeff Francis
    Armando Galarraga
    Jon Garland
    Matt Garza
    Roy Halladay *
    Jason Hammel
    Aaron Harang *
    Rich Harden
    Dan Haren
    Roberto Hernandez
    Tim Hudson
    Phil Hughes
    Ubaldo Jimenez *
    Josh Johnson
    Jeff Karstens
    Hiroki Kuroda
    John Lannan
    Jon Lester *
    Colby Lewis
    Ted Lilly
    Tim Lincecum
    Derek Lowe
    Paul Maholm
    Shaun Marcum
    Jason Marquis
    Daisuke Matsuzaka
    Brett Myers *
    Ricky Nolasco
    Mike Pelfrey
    Andy Pettitte
    Wandy Rodriguez *
    Jonathan Sanchez
    Ervin Santana
    Johan Santana *
    Joe Saunders *
    James Shields *
    Tim Stauffer
    Jason Vargas
    Ryan Vogelsong *
    Edinson Volquez
    Tsuyoshi Wada *
    Chien-Ming Wang
    Chris Young
    Barry Zito

The Reds can't sign 1 of these guys to round out the rotation?

Plus Robert Stephenson is rising quickly in the minors.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I disagree. The guy who most wanted Chapman to stay in the pen is still here. His name is Aroldis Chapman.
    I think Dusty had some say in the matter. All Chapman needs is to hear from his agent how much more he'd make as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    All the rumors in this official thread have been started by the people posting in this official thread.
    Does that mean they are official rumors?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

All the rumors in this official thread have been started by the people posting in this official thread.
    We are speculating and discussing the "official" rumor that Sheldon posted which is that Homer Bailey could be moved since it is speculated that he does not intend to sign an extension with this team.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Or so it is rumored.

8. Likes:

WildcatFan (10-09-2013)

While the idea is a good one, it is pointless to start a thread like this for people to quickly check on actual reported trade rumors. Too many people have other ideas of what the thread should be and will not let it be a quick check for actual reported rumors.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 10-08-2013 at 08:16 PM.

10. Likes:

Always Red (10-08-2013),HeatherC1212 (10-08-2013),Revering4Blue (10-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    While the idea is a good one, it is pointless to start a thread like this for people to quickly check on actual reported trade rumors. Too many people have other ideas of what the thread should be and will not let the it be a quick check for actual reported rumors.
    Also, it is too early for an official trade rumor thread because the season still hast another 3 weeks left.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Profar's career minor league OBP/SLG/OPS is 367/449/816, despite a 323/473/696 slash as a 17 year old rookie in 288 PAs in low A.
    Cozart's minor league slash is 332/421/753 after 665 PAs in low A through his age 22 season.
    367 career OBP, primarily accumulating data between the ages of 17-19? Profar can barely improve on a 234 BA as a 20 year old and be light years ahead of Cozart. His OBP was already .034 higher and the power will come.
    No matter how talented, a 20-21 year old in his first full season in the bigs is a risk, both offensively and defensively. I'm guessing Profar will have a much better MLB career than Cozart, but in 2014, I'm not so sure who will be better.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Not a trade rumor, but I know we have been linked to Guerrero, but that news is like 2 or 3 weeks old. Do teams have to wait to sign him until after the WS or something? Or are team or him for that matter just waiting it out in hopes of getting the best deal?

That being said. I am surprised we have not been linked to Abreu. I read that every team was at his showcase, but we were not listed as one of the more interested teams. The Chat today on MLBTRADERUMORS mentioned that he took some grounders at 3B and displayed above average arm from the hot corner. Frazier showed he had a good glove, but I think a lot of people are in agreement that he should be relegated to a supersub role and maybe Abreu can fit the role of 3B. Estimated contract is near $8M - $12M a year which is a lot less than Choo would cost.

No matter how talented, a 20-21 year old in his first full season in the bigs is a risk, both offensively and defensively. I'm guessing Profar will have a much better MLB career than Cozart, but in 2014, I'm not so sure who will be better.
    Agreed that it is hard to speculate on who will be better next year, but I think Profar is still the answer. We have Votto, Bruce, and hopefully a renewed BP all signed long term. We need to make sure there are pieces around our core guys long term too. Profar adds that for us because he is very young and cheap. Not to mention we have no indication of any prospects coming up that can play SS, 2B, or even 3B. Profar even has experience in the OF too which can be useful if Choo decides to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Agreed that it is hard to speculate on who will be better next year, but I think Profar is still the answer. We have Votto, Bruce, and hopefully a renewed BP all signed long term. We need to make sure there are pieces around our core guys long term too. Profar adds that for us because he is very young and cheap. Not to mention we have no indication of any prospects coming up that can play SS, 2B, or even 3B. Profar even has experience in the OF too which can be useful if Choo decides to leave.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if the Reds could acquire Profar. I just think people might get disappointed by his production on 2014.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if the Reds could acquire Profar. I just think people might get disappointed by his production on 2014.
    Yea, I'm not expecting the world. But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect production a notch or two lower than what BP gave us (both offensively and defensively). Plus, everyone loves hitting in GABP
    Just call me Legs

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Also, it is too early for an official trade rumor thread because the season still hast another 3 weeks left.
    Anybody know how that I can delete this so that someone else can start another one that is better? If you don't like it don't read it.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

19. Likes:

MattyHo4Life (10-08-2013),texasdave (10-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba View Post
    Anybody know how that I can delete this so that someone else can start another one that is better? If you don't like it don't read it.
    I was not saying I didn't like the thread. I meant it is pointless to complain about a lack of quality content/legit trade rumors because the season is not over yet.

Turn Off Ads?