Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: what was your favorite zany baker move as manager

Re: what was your favorite zany baker move as manager

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    With this roster, I could have brought winning baseball back to Cincinnati.
    LOL, now that's zany!

2. Likes:

BurgervilleBuck (10-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    LOL, now that's zany!

Some Reds fans are extremely zany!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Honestly, I think that's laughable. He defied stats, and not just sabermetrics, and managed from "his gut".

With this roster, I could have brought winning baseball back to Cincinnati.
    Guy won manager of the year 3 times, how many have you won so far?

6. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-09-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Let's have the market speak. If Dusty is as good as some on the board think he is and a turnaround artist, then his iPhone 5S should be ringing off the hook with interviews and attractive managerial offers all throughout the offseason. According to Dusty his son is "already making a list of teams." (talk about delusion)

He may end up back in an analyst role or on MLB TV, but the book is out and you won't hear his name so much as rumored for any contending or mildly interesting managerial job.

8. Likes:

malcontent (10-07-2013), WMR (10-08-2013)

so it only took about 45 posts to elicit the brilliant riposte stating "How many have you won" by that reasoning Dallas Williams was the greatest red ever because he had two more hits than any other poster.

If it takes that level of pre kindergarden reasoning to defend Baker, then res ipsi loquitor

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Guy won manager of the year 3 times, how many have you won so far?
    Don't just dismiss my point with Dusty Baker's "manager of the year" awards.

I do believe anyone with slight baseball knowledge could have managed this team to a winning season. I believe you could have done this as well.

This was a team with 95 game win talent in multiple years with Dusty at the helm. How anyone could think Dusty helped them achieve more than they could otherwise I will never understand.
    Last edited by redsrule2500; 10-07-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

for a poster to defend a player by saying something like "well he's better than you" is the absolute nadir of reasoning, why have any discussion at all, the players all have more ability than the posters in baseball, whenever a complaint arises the poster could answer , well he won more games than you, How ludicrous

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    And he walked seven times during the month of April. So none of your statement is true.]
    Actually, April 29 to August 7 is over 3 months.

So Patterson only lead off 32 games. I was wrong about that. But the larger point...that Baker had no understanding of the significance of OBP...holds.

Then he gave us T-Virus and Gonzo 1/2 part of the next year.
    Last edited by malcontent; 10-07-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Don't just dismiss my point with Dusty Baker's "manager of the year" awards.

I do believe anyone with slight baseball knowledge could have managed this team to a winning season. I believe you could have done this as well.

This was a team with 95 game win talent in multiple years with Dusty at the helm. How anyone could think Dusty helped them achieve more than they could otherwise I will never understand.
    I don't believe I could have done it myself, that includes the whole job, not just the 3 hours in the dugout and the myriad of decisions that encompass that short span of time.

How anyone can discount 40 plus years of baseball experience and 20 years of managerial experience I will never understand

14. Likes:

919191 (10-10-2013), Always Red (10-07-2013), HeatherC1212 (10-09-2013), jimbo (10-07-2013), RedFanAlways1966 (10-07-2013), redsmetz (10-07-2013), Revering4Blue (10-07-2013), Tom Servo (10-07-2013), Tommyjohn25 (10-07-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I cannot emphasize this enough: Dusty Baker did not return winning baseball to Cincinnati, ownership did.
    That is undeniably true. Baker is given credit for three 90 win seasons. What about the three losing seasons he guided the team to? Or the 2-7 postseason record?

A .524 winning percentage is not HOF stuff.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

16. Likes:

redsrule2500 (10-07-2013)

by the prior "reasoning" mike miley and vern rapp are great managers because they have more experience than you

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    by the prior "reasoning" mike miley and vern rapp are great managers because they have more experience than you
    That's Dave Miley.

And he was a joke of a MLB manager

Please continue hitting the piñata, maybe some punctuation will fall out of it.

19. Likes:

Always Red (10-07-2013)

Defending Baker because he has more experience than the poster is beyond sophomoric, how about explaining why Leake would start game 4 of last years playoffs when he was originally not good enough to placed on the roster? I guess Baker had another one of those duodenal feelings?

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    Defending Baker because he has more experience than the poster is beyond sophomoric, how about explaining why Leake would start game 4 of last years playoffs when he was originally not good enough to placed on the roster? I guess Baker had another one of those duodenal feelings?
    Really?

Sophomoric is not conceding that experience is a major player in any career choice and poo pooing anyone's accomplishments to make an already weak point over and over again.

yes Bakers experience is a big factor in putting the center fielder first in the line up and the shortstop second, why I wish I had seen Baker manage the 1970 reds so Woody Woodward could bat second

Turn Off Ads?