Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: per mlbtraderumors.com, Bronson Arroyo wants a 3 year deal.

Re: per mlbtraderumors.com, Bronson Arroyo wants a 3 year deal.

The ? of whether Arroyo would accept a QO is certainly something that gives Arroyo a bit of leverage. Is there anyway he would give up that info to the front office due to the goodwill he has received from the team over the past 7-8 years?

If the Reds offer the QO, it probably lowers his price on the free agent market. I don't know...it just seems like something that 2 parties that respect each other may be able to help each other out with....and if Arroyo really doesn't want the QO...I would hope that the Reds would respect that. (He would just tell them that he would accept it)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

After what happened with Kyle Lohse this year, I think Bronson would think twice before turning down a QO.

Having said that, put me in the camp that doesn't necessarily think it's a bad thing if Arroyo accepts his QO.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

he is old and is a 500 pitcher, a dependable .500 pitcher but still average, capable of getting bmombed on any given big game

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    he is old and is a 500 pitcher, a dependable .500 pitcher but still average, capable of getting bmombed on any given big game
    He takes the ball every 5th day, throws 200+ IP per year of better than league-average ball. You pencil him into the rotation at the start of the year and never worry about having to call up some jobber like Greg Reynolds for 4-5 starts in the middle of a season.

You can disagree that he's worth the financial commitment, but don't soft-sell the value Arroyo has brought to the Reds thus far and would continue to bring to the Reds if they weren't cash-strapped from other deals.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

6. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (10-07-2013), joshua (10-08-2013), REDREAD (10-08-2013)

Arroyo keeps guys from reaching 1B.

That's what I want ever Reds pitcher to do, and I don't care anymore how they do it.
    Suck it up cupcake.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (10-08-2013)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

It's probably been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but the Reds have up to five days after the World Series to make the offer and Arroyo would then have seven days to accept or decline it. So it's not like he can wait around and see how the market shakes out over the winter and then come back and take the qualifying offer -- he'd only accept it if early buzz was telling him the demand for his services wasn't there.

Of course, the qualifying offer would be a potential drag on that market, so it's entirely possible they could bluff the Reds into thinking they'd better not risk it.
    Not all who wander are lost

I'm not quite sure how this qualifying offer business works but IIRC, the Reds have to offer him a certain amount of money. Do they have to offer him a certain number of years as well? If they don't and they don't want him back, can the Reds offer him that certain amount of money for just 1 year? You make him an offer he can refuse.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm not quite sure how this qualifying offer business works but IIRC, the Reds have to offer him a certain amount of money. Do they have to offer him a certain number of years as well? If they don't and they don't want him back, can the Reds offer him that certain amount of money for just 1 year? You make him an offer he can refuse.
    The qualifying offer is just for one year. It will be valued around 13 million this season I think.

12. Likes:

Chip R (10-07-2013)

Almost everything you wanted to know about qualifying offers:

Explaining Qualifying Offers

Qualifying offers last year yielded varying results

14. Likes:

Chip R (10-07-2013)

Arroyo should want a three-year. He's been one of the most dependable arms in baseball during the past decade. Somebody's going to pony up for that.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

16. Likes:

Chip R (10-07-2013), joshua (10-08-2013), REDREAD (10-08-2013)

Arroyo also offers great "veteran leadership." Great mentor for young pitchers (see Mike Leake). I expect the Mets to come after him hard -- their first round pick is protected this year. Put him in that bigger park and he'll get by just fine, so long as he can keep that fastball out of the mid 80s.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I like Bronson, but I do not think you offer him a qualifying offer. He is an innings eater and he is veteran with great leadership, but there is no way I would pay $13M - $14M for a 4th or 5th starter. Especially when you have pitchers coming through the pipeline and you have to put money into Latos, Bailey, Leake, and Choo this year and Cueto after next year.

That is a lot to spend in the hopes of getting a draft pick. I would offer him 2 years for a lot less with a mutual option for year 3. I think he would take that over the Mets offer. Yes he has been quoted to be chasing the dollar, but I think that is talk. He loves it here, is a shoe in for Reds HOF, and I would think he would like to be on a winning team to end his career, especially if it is managed by a pitching coach in Bryan Price.
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Arroyo keeps guys from reaching 1B.

That's what I want ever Reds pitcher to do, and I don't care anymore how they do it.
    Since 2010, Arroyo has played in front of one of the best defenses in the majors. Of qualified starting pitchers over that span, he's ranked 92 out of 160 in era (4.11; mlb: 4.07). He's ranked 153rd based upon FIP (4.72 vs mlb: 4.10) and 123rd based upon xFIP (4.28 vs 4.00 for mlb).

The guy has tossed a lot of innings (15th in that span) of below average ball over the last three years. Other than eating innings, he stacks up even worse if compared strictly against his NL peers.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Chapman should start, we need a(nother) lefty if we want to get past the Cards and compete in the playoffs.
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Arroyo should want a three-year. He's been one of the most dependable arms in baseball during the past decade. Somebody's going to pony up for that.
    I agree, as long as the Reds don't make a qualifying offer. Few teams will "pony up" if they will lose a draft pick. Boras had a hard time finding Kyle Lohse a 3 year deal after a great season, and he is younger, albeit less durable than Arroyo. I think it would be a mistake for Arroyo to decline a qualifying offer if the Reds make him one.

Turn Off Ads?