Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pittsburg fans

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Pittsburg fans

There are 10,000 "real" Pirates fans -- the same 10,000 that have been showing up year after year as the Pirates routinely dropped 90 games a season.

The rest of the crowd you're hearing are bored Steelers fans looking for someplace to drink and yell at until hockey season starts.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (10-07-2013),Beltway (10-08-2013),Big Klu (10-08-2013),Bob Borkowski (10-07-2013),HeatherC1212 (10-07-2013),marcshoe (10-07-2013),RadfordVA (10-07-2013),Spider Tre (10-13-2013),The_Mudshark (10-07-2013),TOBTTReds (10-14-2013),Tom Servo (10-07-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

They are just excited. I find it hard to begrudge them that. No one makes any no bones about the fact that baseball is the third sport here. Regular season hockey is getting just about as much attention as playoff baseball. The Steelers' disastrous start (and their bye yesterday) certainly plays into the amount of attention paid, but they would have filled that stadium yesterday no matter what. It's a football town first and hockey town second but it's still a sports town above everything else.

I know a number of die-hard, lifelong fans here, including a great number who have had season tickets the last 20 years. I know a lot of perpetually casual fans, along the lines of a lot of Reds fans I know, who are more into it now. that's normal -- annoying sometimes depending on the people, but normal. The only thing that bugs me is that my Facebook feed yesterday was filled with photos of people who were at the game, and honest to god, three-fourths of them I've never heard talk about baseball before, ever. And back when I was a sports fan, believe me, there was plenty of opportunity to talk about baseball around me. There are so many die-hard fans I know who are more deserving of the chance to attend a playoff game but don't have the money or whatever. But they're not bothered by that. Everyone's just excited to have playoff baseball again.

All that said, being the target of their rivalry/hate/napoleanic complex is not something I cherish, which is maybe why I can be more relaxed about it now. And yet I suspect I will long for the days of their inferiority complex if they become a perpetual powerhouse again.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 10-07-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    There are 10,000 "real" Pirates fans -- the same 10,000 that have been showing up year after year as the Pirates routinely dropped 90 games a season.

The rest of the crowd you're hearing are bored Steelers fans looking for someplace to drink and yell at until hockey season starts.
    Exactly. Even this season they were 11th out of 15 in NL attendance. These are people looking for a good time. Driving me crazy listening to the broadcasts praising how much the fans deserve it and are into it.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

In fairness, PNC Park only seats something like 38K.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Like them or hate them, Pittsburgh fans are giving their team a real home field advantage.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

8. Likes:

lidspinner (10-07-2013)

If they keep winning the fans will keep showing up, same as here.
    Go Gators!

Go Gorillas!

(That's Pitt State, which I assumed this thread was about based on the title)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I think that was the point of his
    Yup...I didn't catch on til after I posted...but thought it still worked. So I left it.

there are of course lots of fans who only go to the park when the team is winning, but it´s the same in every stadium

if the reds would have back to back losing seasons you won´t have that many fans at the stadium aswell (especially in a 82 game season)...

in other sports, f.ex. football you´ll find some soldout places every game even if the team doesn´t play that good (only 8 home games...)

in german soccer it´s the same, you´ll find some teams that sell out every game (big teams in big cities) and some fans only go to the stadium if the team plays well....

but I don´t like to discredit the pirates because there fans make much noise in post season.. of course there were some drunken, stupid "fans" that made stupid stuff, but with 40.000 people and alcohol served you´ll find problems in every stadium ...

I´ve been to a bengals game, reds and mets (regular season) and a boston bruins game (preseason)... loudest were the preseason hockey game (indoor makes it loud of course) but it´s a total different athmosphere than what I´m used to in germany

Is there a big crowd there today? It's a lot easier to go to a game if it's at night or on a weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

+1. This guy nailed it.

I could care less about Yinzer Nation. I care even less about Dallas Latos. I feel like the initial question(s) of this thread was pretty loaded, but no, I don't think they will become like the Braves fans of the 90's. A lot more goes into that than yelling a pitchers name and cheering for the only team in your town that is winning.

Good for the Pirates, they have a great team that got hot at a great time. Their fans get to enjoy it and I am happy for them.
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...

Any reason there is no "h" on Pittsburgh in the thread title?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    The real question is: Why is there an "h" in Pittsburgh. Here is the answer according to wikipedia.

The city was chartered in 1816, its name being spelled without the h, and its official form is still Pittsburg. The h appears to have been added by the Post-Office Department, and through that action local usage appears to have become divided.
    The city's name is commonly misspelled as Pittsburg due to the fact that innumerable cities and towns in America make use of the German -burg suffix, while very few make use of the Scottish -burgh suffix. This problem is compounded by the fact that from 1891 to 1911, the official spelling of the city's name was temporarily changed to Pittsburg.

17. Likes:

757690 (10-13-2013),marcshoe (10-13-2013),mth123 (10-13-2013),oneupper (10-13-2013),RedEye (10-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    The real question is: Why is there an "h" in Pittsburgh. Here is the answer according to wikipedia.
    Whoa. I had no idea. Question withdrawn.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Yeah the OP is a idiot who cannot spell...just calling it like it is.

Turn Off Ads?