Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

So who would come in to replace BP if he goes? I like the idea of Howie Kendrick or Dustin Ackley (who I think needs a change of scenery), but let me add the name Emilio Benifacio to the mix.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    let me add the name Emilio Benifacio to the mix.
    I feel as if this exact sentence has been said every 2 months on redszone since 2008.

So who would come in to replace BP if he goes? I like the idea of Howie Kendrick or Dustin Ackley (who I think needs a change of scenery), but let me add the name Emilio Benifacio to the mix.

There are those, but there are any number of other options. Such as Infante, or they could try to trade with the Rays for Zobrist.

They could also try to trade for a current SS like Lowrie, or the oft mentioned Profar, and play one of them or Cozart at 2B.

There is also buy low candidates such as Brian Roberts or Danny Espinosa. The latter of which, I have interest in as the backup MIF, rather than as intending to start him.

but let me add the name Emilio Benifacio to the mix.
    He of the career 79 OPS+? No thank you.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    ...or they could try to trade with the Rays for Zobrist.
    What would it take to deal for Zobrist?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    What would it take to deal for Zobrist?
    I don't know, the Rays are hard to read. They are going to shop Price to save money, and Zobrist will cost 7+ million in his walk year.

Maybe we could trade Phillips for Sandoval and a prospect(s), and then flip Bailey for Zobrist +?

Maybe we could trade Phillips for Sandoval and a prospect(s), and then flip Bailey for Zobrist +?
    And sign Beltran to a 2-3 year deal (herbdizzle's idea) to play LF? OK.

S Hamilton
    S Zobrist
    L Votto
    S Beltran
    L Bruce
    S Sandoval
    R Mesoraco
    R Cozart

Beltran could end up with 130 RBI batting 4th in that lineup, considering GABP.

It's a lineup (OK....fantasy lineup) that could take on all those dominating St. Louis RHP.

The bench with the additions of Ludwick and Frazier would even look good.
    Last edited by malcontent; 10-28-2013 at 06:34 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

9. Likes:

herbdizzle (10-29-2013)

I don't know, the Rays are hard to read. They are going to shop Price to save money, and Zobrist will cost 7+ million in his walk year.

i just threw up in my mouth.

as did the entire reds pitching staff.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

They could probably get used to working with 3-4 run leads.

I don't see how that helps the Rays.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Trades that will help this team is finding all the targets (in other players like those being mentioned) who are already cheap. Trading salary for salary is sideways step, the the goal should be to maximize returns at a lower cost that moves forward into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I don't see how that helps the Rays.

Yeah, like I said they are a hard team for me to judge. They plan on being competitive, while shedding salary every time someone gets too expensive. I mean unless you're Longoria, Moore, or Myers, I imagine you are available to different degrees.

That's why when asked what he might take, I suggested Bailey, because he will be cheaper than Price, and close to Zobrist. That would allow them to absorb the trade of Price, with as little a drop off as possible for next season alone.

I don't know what a pure prospect cost would be, and I doubt I would want the Reds to pay it.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

I'm not particularly sure why seeing as Zobrist is a plus 2B and Sandoval probably grades out about average, but ok.

I would be very much for Sandoval for Phillips straight up. He is a very solid 3B, even at the level he has performed the last couple of years, much less his MVP upside from 2011. Plus there is a 3M difference in salary in 2014 between him and Brandon that we can play with.

If we did that, I throw out 2 options for consideration at 2B in addition to the usual idea of looking at the market.
    1) Frazier moves to 2B. At 2B, his bat plays even better than at 3B. And he has worked himself into an outstanding defensive 2B. Could he do that at 2B too? He was a SS in the minors, so it might not be too much of a stretch.
    2) Billy Hamilton moves to 2B. I hate to move the guy again, but it is a lot easier to find an OFer than a 2B. It would allow us to resign Choo and do Choo in CF, Ludwick in LF for another year (Frazier at utility) or identify another stopgap. As a former SS, the switch to 2B is a common one as well. We lose a little by not taking full advantage of his speed as we would in CF, but his range would allow him to be the next in the long line of outstanding defensive 2B. Besides, it would give us a shot at another one of these. http://www.redreporter.com/2011/3/21...t-fielder-just

What do you think? Either of those in-house options play for you?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

OK, I've got another slobber-knocker involving BP:

Royals get:
    BP
    Lottery ticket pitcher like Guillon

Rangers get:
    Billy Butler (from KCR)
    Homer Bailey

Reds get:
    Christian Colon (from KCR)
    Jurickson Profar (from TEX)
    Craig Gentry (from TEX)
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?