Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nori Aoki Traded To Royals

Nori Aoki Traded To Royals

For LHP Will Smith. Didn't see a thread on it already posted. Is there a reason (other than intra-divisional) why the Reds didn't make a play for Aoki?

He seems like he'd be a perfect insurance policy/bridge to Hamilton in CF. Or am I missing something?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nori Aoki Traded To Royals

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    For LHP Will Smith. Didn't see a thread on it already posted. Is there a reason (other than intra-divisional) why the Reds didn't make a play for Aoki?

He seems like he'd be a perfect insurance policy/bridge to Hamilton in CF. Or am I missing something?
    Will Smith has higher trade value than Marshall. That was a great trade for the Brewers.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Aoki always seemed to play well against the Reds. Not gonna miss him when we play the Brewers.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

5. Likes:

DocRed (12-06-2013),Spider Tre (12-06-2013)

Is there a reason (other than intra-divisional) why the Reds didn't make a play for Aoki?
    Why is it that everytime a player is traded to another team, it is assumed that the Reds didn't make a play or inquire about said player?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

7. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (12-06-2013),Fil3232 (12-06-2013),Mitri (12-06-2013),NebraskaRed (12-06-2013),Old school 1983 (12-06-2013),Patrick Bateman (12-06-2013),Plus Plus (12-06-2013),PuffyPig (12-06-2013),redsmetz (12-06-2013),Spider Tre (12-06-2013),traderumor (12-06-2013)

As many sources said during Fister trade about Dombrowski. Sometimes a GM has very specific idea of what he is wanting in return for a player. Looks as though he may have wanted a young cheap controllable LH reliever with still the possibility of being a starter. Reds have no one to match that. Unless you wanted to give Cingrani away.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Why is it that everytime a player is traded to another team, it is assumed that the Reds didn't make a play or inquire about said player?
    Because this is an internet messageboard for fans of the team. Among other things the reason d'être of those is for fans to post their gripes and offer (sometimes baseless) speculation. I think sometimes a lot of people around here forget that and take on this holier (or more informed) than thou attitude.
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-06-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

10. Likes:

bigfunguy (12-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Aoki always seemed to play well against the Reds. Not gonna miss him when we play the Brewers.
    Good point. But this move just paves the way for Khris Davis to start fulltime and hit 15 HR vs the Reds in 2014. Davis was .440/.548/1.628 vs Reds pitching last year.

They call me "chef"

Ronny Cedeno begat Bill Hall.
    Bill Hall begat Nori Aoki.
    Nori Aoki begat Khris Davis.

13. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (12-06-2013),oregonred (12-06-2013),Tom Servo (12-06-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Because the Reds didn't get him and therefore they didn't even try. Come on Brutus, get with it.

15. Likes:

Big Klu (12-06-2013),Brutus (12-06-2013)

Because this is an internet messageboard for fans of the team. Among other things the reason d'être of those is for fans to post their gripes and offer (sometimes baseless) speculation. I think sometimes a lot of people around here forget that and take on this holier (or more informed) than thou attitude.
    There's a difference between saying that you would have been willing to offer "such and such" for a player and you feel that is a better package than what the Brewers received, and saying "I don't understand why the Reds didnt even try to get the guy".

The first one is a personal valuation opinion, and the second is just pure 100% baseless conjecture that offers no value to anyone. I think everyone is fine with the first set, but the second is just a waste of space and unfairly criticzes the Reds for something you have zero clue on. Pretty simple.

As far as Aoki is concerned, he's a midly intriguing, essentially average major league starting CF. There are a number of reasons why the Reds may not acquire him, starting with:

1. Perhaps they are setting their sights higher (ie. Choo)

2. Perhaps the Brewers really liked Smith and were holding the Reds to a standard in value that they did not feel was consisent with the value they put on Aoki.

3. Maybe the Reds just flat out don't like Aoki, and hold a lower value on him than you do? I mean, he's just about 32, has almost zero power and is probably a compromise in CF. He's a nice little player, but probably profiles as more of a great 4th OF'der than a really good starting solution.

As usual, pretty difficult to judge the Reds intentions without seeing what they actually do. I remember you getting as Randy would eloquently put it, "getting your panties tied in knots" last offseason assumign Walt was going to do nothing before acquiring Choo, and the year before that, acquiring Latos. Jocketty is probably going to make a substantial move to get an outfielder, will we all like it, however, is a completely different question. As far as Aoki is concerned, I'm not crying that Walt failed to make the highest bid on a 2 win player likely moving into the downside of his career.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-06-2013),PuffyPig (12-06-2013),RadfordVA (12-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    There's a difference between saying that you would have been willing to offer "such and such" for a player and you feel that is a better package than what the Brewers received, and saying "I don't understand why the Reds didnt even try to get the guy".

The first one is a personal valuation opinion, and the second is just pure 100% baseless conjecture that offers no value to anyone. I think everyone is fine with the first set, but the second is just a waste of space and unfairly criticzes the Reds for something you have zero clue on. Pretty simple.

As far as Aoki is concerned, he's a midly intriguing, essentially average major league starting CF. There are a number of reasons why the Reds may not acquire him, starting with:

1. Perhaps they are setting their sights higher (ie. Choo)

2. Perhaps the Brewers really liked Smith and were holding the Reds to a standard in value that they did not feel was consisent with the value they put on Aoki.

3. Maybe the Reds just flat out don't like Aoki, and hold a lower value on him than you do? I mean, he's just about 32, has almost zero power and is probably a compromise in CF. He's a nice little player, but probably profiles as more of a great 4th OF'der than a really good starting solution.

As usual, pretty difficult to judge the Reds intentions without seeing what they actually do. I remember you getting as Randy would eloquently put it, "getting your panties tied in knots" last offseason assumign Walt was going to do nothing before acquiring Choo, and the year before that, acquiring Latos. Jocketty is probably going to make a substantial move to get an outfielder, will we all like it, however, is a completely different question. As far as Aoki is concerned, I'm not crying that Walt failed to make the highest bid on a 2 win player likely moving into the downside of his career.
    Does the original post imply I am getting my panties tied in knots?

It was only an outright criticism if you interpret it as a rhetorical question. It wasn't, it really was just more of an honest question meant to spur discussion. How is this any different than what was asked/said on the Fowler thread?
    Go BLUE!!!

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Good point. But this move just paves the way for Khris Davis to start fulltime and hit 15 HR vs the Reds in 2014. Davis was .440/.548/1.628 vs Reds pitching last year.
    Indeed. Bill Hall 2.0 does concern me.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Last edited by Benihana; 12-06-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm just still a little unclear how not getting a player means team didn't make any sort of offer or inquisition for said player.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?