Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    I would call Texas and offer them BOTH Phillips and Bailey for a package of:

Profar
    Scheppers
    Martin Perez
    That would be the shortest conversation in history, if they didn't laugh before they hung up.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I disagree with this. BP changes his approach all the time. He's a chameleon at the plate.

He just needs the right backdrop. I wish he could spend 2 hours talking to Rickey Henderson.
    The problem with talking with Rickey is that Rickey thinks Rickey be Rickey but in reality he be Rickey

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    The problem with talking with Rickey is that Rickey thinks Rickey be Rickey but in reality he be Rickey
    Ok, now I have to go listen to that David Cross bit.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Kemp is now scheduled for another surgery on his shoulder to help clean up his first surgery. Reminds of Rolen with his back procedures.

Be very wary of players with bad shoulders or backs. They are two parts of the body that medical science still has trouble repairing.

And the only way the Dodgers deal Kemp is if they think these injuries will be chronic. And at that point why would you want him?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    And the only way the Dodgers deal Kemp is if they think these injuries will be chronic. And at that point why would you want him?
    I don't know about that. Everybody knows the Dodgers are going to move one of Kemp, Either, or Crawford, so if I'm them, my approach is shop all three and decide based on the offers I get.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Franchises #2 prospect after his age 17 season, number one since. Baseball America's #1 after his age 19 season. Yes, he's the best prospect they've ever had. Doesn't mean he will pan out, but his ceiling is 1st ballot HOF.
    I think the superlative is what I'm objecting too. "Best ever" is a bit strong too me. There is a class of elite, top-tier prospects that, imo, are hard to really distinguish from one another. Example: Trout v Harper. Both were clearly top 10 prospects, but trying to say x player is obviously the best compared to y player is kinda silly. He is an elite prospect. So was Jay Bruce, so was Homer Bailey.
    Just call me Legs

They didn't sign BP then all of a sudden decide they paid him too much, because of a WC game loss. He did or said something, if this is true (and the previous examples are likely culprits).

I do not want to see him traded. This lineup needs additions, not top 4 bats subtracted from it, especially a RH'd one.

10. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (10-09-2013),MattyHo4Life (10-08-2013),REDREAD (10-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    They didn't sign BP then all of a sudden decide they paid him too much, because of a WC game loss. He did or said something, if this is true (and the previous examples are likely culprits).

I do not want to see him traded. This lineup needs additions, not top 4 bats subtracted from it, especially a RH'd one.
    Agreed. And yet I somehow thought he was not cleanup material. Looking forward to the new brain trust.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I think Bailey for Profar could be a possible move in principle if Bailey allowed them a certain amount of time to work out an extension first.

I also really like Homer and don't want to see him go.

The Rangers have all the money on the world. They really don't need to deal Profar to get a starter like Bailey. I'd say they'd go after a bigger fish if they dangle him. David Price, Giancarlo Stanton or some one like that maybe. I can't see a year of Homer Bailey getting a guy like that.

Bailey could probably net a couple of decent prospects, but similar to the guys the Cubs got for Garza, they won't be "can't miss" guys and probably will need more time in the minors.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

RiverRat13 (10-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Rangers have all the money on the world. They really don't need to deal Profar to get a starter like Bailey. I'd say they'd go after a bigger fish if they dangle him. David Price, Giancarlo Stanton or some one like that maybe. I can't see a year of Homer Bailey getting a guy like that.

Bailey could probably net a couple of decent prospects, but similar to the guys the Cubs got for Garza, they won't be "can't miss" guys and probably will need more time in the minors.
    No. Bailey has been much healthier and much better over the last year or two than Garza when Garza was traded. Plus Garza was traded with two months left on his contract, not a full year, meaning not only would a team be getting him for 30+ starts instead of 10 but they could also get a first round pick if/when he walks at the end of the year, which wasn't the case for Garza.

In other words, the return for Homer Bailey will look nothing like the return for Garza. It will be much, much better.

(And the return for Garza wasn't bad)
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm in the camp that says no one is untouchable, but I'm leery of trading Phillips. You've already got a team that is lacking in RH bats, so I'm not sure that dealing the best one on the team is the right move. It would depend on what they got back of course, but it would leave them a gaping hole at 2B. I'm assume they'd have a plan for that if they do deal him, but I'd sure like to know what it is.

Guerrero poses two issue for me. The first is the unknown....do we really know what kind of MLB player he will be? The 2nd is timing. According to an acticle I read, he expects to sign in a couple of weeks. I would think that if the Reds signed him that would hurt the market for Phillips since now they'd be seen as having to trade him. I think that would hurt the market.
    Sto Pro Veritate

17. Likes:

REDREAD (10-09-2013)

That Phillips is the best right handed bat on the team doesn't make him very good. See thread on the top-heavy quality of the Reds lineup. Team needs serious reconfiguration.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    That Phillips is the best right handed bat on the team doesn't make him very good. See thread on the top-heavy quality of the Reds lineup. Team needs serious reconfiguration.
    Sure, but the way you fix that is by upgrading the 7th and 8th best bats in the lineup, not by possibly downgrading the 4th/5th best bat in the lineup.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

Girevik (10-09-2013),REDREAD (10-09-2013),XU Lou (10-19-2013)

I think getting Brandon Phillips away from Dusty could do him wonders. If you listened to Brandon you would always hear him talk about his job in certain spots in lineup. When he hit leadoff he needed to take more pitches, when he hit second he needed to use rightfield, cleanup he needed to drive in runs, etc. I think a new manager could come in, provided Walt improves the righthanded bats situation, plops Brandon in the 6 spot and just says, Be Brandon. Don't worry about any one persons job in a certain spot and just go up there and be you as a hitter. .280/.330/.440. Be yourself, play gold glove defense and the other numbers don't matter.

770 OPS from gold glove second baseman is probably a 4 WAR player and more than worth what they are paying him, IMO
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

22. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (10-17-2013),Raisor (10-09-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (10-13-2013),Wonderful Monds (10-09-2013)

Turn Off Ads?