Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Wow....a professional athlete might not be the most faithful guy in a relationship?

Really grounding breaking stuff here on redszone.
    How do you know when an MLB player is cheating on his girlfriend?

When he's an MLB player.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    The media only has the power to run someone out of town if management decides to listen to the media. That's the whole point... management shouldn't be basing decisions on whether the media is in favor.
    Just because it shouldn't happen doesn't mean it won't happen. Spare me any nuances about how a manager shouldn't take a job where upper management listens to the media.

It's just the way it is. On an underperforming team, you will get zero benefit of the doubt of you are allowing baseball players to tweet during games. The media would crucify you and the fan base would easily get behind the media calling for your head.

So like I said, if but for no other reason than job security, a manager should not allow a player to tweet during games.

It's one thing to say it's not a big deal in the big picture.

It's another to say that if you were manager, you'd allow such a thing to go on.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    It's not behavior I'd encourage, but it's no different than writing your phone number on a ball or note and sending it or your room key to a hot fan, which has been going on forever.
    Ever read Ball Four? They were cutting holes in the dugout to look up skirts back in the 60s. I'm sure their full attention wasn't on the game either. As long as you're ready to hit then I guess it doesn't matter that much.

Stat geek...and proud

BP reminds me of a guy I work with, and he's also in our fantasy football league. You are constantly rolling your eyes at him, and he never shuts up. The line is "he's an idiot, but he's OUR idiot." And we all genuinely like the guy, even though we make rib him constantly. I get the feeling that there's a lot of eye rolling going on in the Reds clubhouse, but the other guys just live with it. Brandon being Brandon.

But, that's just how I see it. I've kind of thought that for years, but never really thought it needed to be brought up, until this discussion, and my view could be completely wrong, since I'm not in the clubhouse. Strictly an outsider's educated guess.

6. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-24-2013),REDREAD (10-24-2013),RiverRat13 (10-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It's unreasonable to expect that the starters for your team wouldn't be texting/tweeting during an actual game they're playing in!?!?
    If he's not due up in the inning, there's not much for him to do.
    Sure he could watch the pitcher throw, but maybe he's already seen the guy on tape (or past experience) and watching another 10 pitches isn't going to really make a difference..

How is this any different from when the players are talking to each other in the dugout or still giving HR high fives when the next at bat has started?

I'm just curious.. what is Brandon SUPPOSED to do when he's not due up in the inning?

I'd like to see more fire in this team too, but if he wants to tweet a few times during the game when he's sittting, I don't see the big deal. I imagine lots of players do that. Would it be less offensive if he wasn't trying to set up a date? Like what if he was checking if the Dow went up or down?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    There is a ton of dirty laundry out there about Phillips on the web (he's not going to be up for father of the year awards any time soon) as I am sure there is about a lot of other ball players. However none of this makes the light of day as long as he is filling up the stat sheet to fans satisfaction. My how fans can put up with things as long as a player continues to exceed expectation, the worm quickly has turned though as Phillips continues to deteriorate.
    Funny thing is, let's say Phillips gets his hand fixed over the winter, and comes back and OPSes 830.. The fans will then love him again
    All this behavior will be seen as lovable quirks.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

9. Likes:

Chip R (10-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If he's not due up in the inning, there's not much for him to do.
    Sure he could watch the pitcher throw, but maybe he's already seen the guy on tape (or past experience) and watching another 10 pitches isn't going to really make a difference..

How is this any different from when the players are talking to each other in the dugout or still giving HR high fives when the next at bat has started?

I'm just curious.. what is Brandon SUPPOSED to do when he's not due up in the inning?

I'd like to see more fire in this team too, but if he wants to tweet a few times during the game when he's sittting, I don't see the big deal. I imagine lots of players do that. Would it be less offensive if he wasn't trying to set up a date? Like what if he was checking if the Dow went up or down?
    He could be watching the pitcher, in the clubhouse watching tape of his last at bat, discussing game strategy, discussing the pitcher with other hitters etc.

You know how texts in the dugout? The guy who lolly gags down the first base line. The guy how makes bad baserunning mistakes because of a lack of thought. The guy.... oh wait.

You know who doesn't have the right to complain about the size of his contract relative to other guys? The guy texting in the dugout.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

11. Likes:

Chip R (10-24-2013),Edd Roush (10-26-2013),Larkin Fan (10-24-2013),TSJ55 (10-24-2013),wheels (10-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    BP reminds me of a guy I work with, and he's also in our fantasy football league. You are constantly rolling your eyes at him, and he never shuts up. The line is "he's an idiot, but he's OUR idiot." And we all genuinely like the guy, even though we make rib him constantly. I get the feeling that there's a lot of eye rolling going on in the Reds clubhouse, but the other guys just live with it. Brandon being Brandon.

But, that's just how I see it. I've kind of thought that for years, but never really thought it needed to be brought up, until this discussion, and my view could be completely wrong, since I'm not in the clubhouse. Strictly an outsider's educated guess.
    Wow. Have you even had a conversation with the guy? Seems pretty ridiculous to be making an assumption like that...

Missed this piece the other day. 8 potential landing spots for Phillips

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...andon-phillips

These are the teams with an obvious need at second base, some money to burn and a decent prospect or two to send to Cincinnati. They're all at least reasonably close to contention as well -- there's no reason for a rebuilding team to acquire a player like Phillips.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Funny thing is, let's say Phillips gets his hand fixed over the winter, and comes back and OPSes 830.. The fans will then love him again
    All this behavior will be seen as lovable quirks.
    I think the average Reds fan loves BP. BP and Votto shirts everyone on Reds game days.

Since he's never OPS'd .830 in his career, that would be an amazing accomplishment at age 33.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Missed this piece the other day. 8 potential landing spots for Phillips

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...andon-phillips
    I just have to post a couple of the comments from that article:

#1. Don't be surprised to see Votto traded (because he's sure some teams will be "willing to take" him)...
    Dat Dude is and always will be good to the fans. As much as I hate to see him go, it is time. Word is it wasn't only the owner that had beef with BP. Many of the players grew tired of some of his antics. Antics we probably don't hear anything about. We also need to unload Votto as crazy as that sounds. San Fran won a few WS rings by playing team baseball and good pitching. We have great pitching but Votto refuses to play team baseball. If he is asked to hit and run at the plate, and the pitch is even slightly a ball, he refuses to swing. Im sure there are plenty of teams willing to take Votto too. Until they find out how self centered he is. Don't be surprised if you see them both packaged.

#2. Our number one issue is no speed (and of course the fact that Votto bats 3rd)....
    @MAKA, Would like to see Phillips stay in Cincinnati but he has turned into an undisciplined big mouth clown. More than just fits for him, and if he is traded, I really don't care how he fits in with another team. I only care about what the Reds get in return. Votto is not the problem you think he is. The Reds #1 issue was that there was no speed in the line-up. Therefore, Votto was often not pitched to or frustrated. If you also noticed, turd head Baker never moved him out of the three spot unless he took a day off. With more speed and an improved batting order Votto will come back around.

#3. Phillips, Frazier and Cozart for.....Chris Davis! Of course! Why didn't I think of that? (...oh, wait, a PTBNL too? For a bum like Davis? Nevermind then)
    Looks like plenty of options for Uncle Walt to work his magic. The kicker for the REDS is we have Billy Hamilton ready to make the jump to the Majors and he can play SS, 2nd or CF. CF is the best option to use his speed on D as well as on the bases. But it helps to have options.

I see (wishful thinking? probably) the REDS potentially making a BP + Frazier (3B)/Cozart(ss) blockbuster trade for someone the likes of the O's Chris Davis. We might have to throw in a PTBNL or 3rd minor leaguer w/ potential.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Just because it shouldn't happen doesn't mean it won't happen. Spare me any nuances about how a manager shouldn't take a job where upper management listens to the media.

It's just the way it is. On an underperforming team, you will get zero benefit of the doubt of you are allowing baseball players to tweet during games. The media would crucify you and the fan base would easily get behind the media calling for your head.

So like I said, if but for no other reason than job security, a manager should not allow a player to tweet during games.

It's one thing to say it's not a big deal in the big picture.

It's another to say that if you were manager, you'd allow such a thing to go on.
    So basically your issue is not with players tweeting or texting, you're more concerned by what the media thinks of allowing them to tweet or text?

If truly you thought it was a problem, you wouldn't be spending time worrying about what the media had to say so I have to conclude that you're more worried about perception than whether it's actually an issue.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    So basically your issue is not with players tweeting or texting, you're more concerned by what the media thinks of allowing them to tweet or text?

If truly you thought it was a problem, you wouldn't be spending time worrying about what the media had to say so I have to conclude that you're more worried about perception than whether it's actually an issue.
    Please don't put words in my mouth.

I said "but for no other reason". I also think it could be a big distraction .

But yes, perception is important too.

Nothing further to discuss. If I was manager I wouldn't knowingly allow players to tweet during games, you would. So what. I'm not trying to convince you your reasoning is unfounded, but you are trying to do so to me.

I've been Brutus'd.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Please don't put words in my mouth.

I said "but for no other reason". I also think it could be a big distraction .

But yes, perception is important too.

Nothing further to discuss. If I was manager I wouldn't knowingly allow players to tweet during games, you would. So what. I'm not trying to convince you your reasoning is unfounded, but you are trying to do so to me.

I've been Brutus'd.
    You haven't given a reason why your reason is founded. So far all you've explained is that it would be torn apart in the media.

Why is it a big deal? You've done everything except explain that rationale.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown View Post
    Wow. Have you even had a conversation with the guy? Seems pretty ridiculous to be making an assumption like that...
    Did you even read my post? I said it was a theory based on what I've observed, not that is was definitely true.

Turn Off Ads?