Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Why is it that Phillips had a bad year (but still >>>>>>>>>>>> than Uggla) and he is in decline and will never come back. But Uggla had an even worse year and he is probably going to bounce back?
    Stop making sense. Next thing you'll point out that the Reds' best odds for upgrading from 2013 Brandon Phillips is by keeping Brandon Phillips.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

757690 (10-20-2013),jimbo (10-20-2013),REDREAD (10-21-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Stop making sense. Next thing you'll point out that the Reds' best odds for upgrading from 2013 Brandon Phillips is by keeping Brandon Phillips.
    It might be. That's why Walt makes the big bucks to figure the thing out...

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    If the reds intend to upgrade their roster this off season to be keep up with the Pirates and Cards he will have to continue to follow his m.o. and leverage the farm. Meaning, i don't really see how the reds go into next season with Hamilton, Cingrani, and Stephenson still in their organization.
    The Reds aren't going to pay, nor should they pay, Shin Soo Choo a nine figure contract. Subtract Choo, Phillips and Arroyo and you've got 35-40M of payflex (10-15M will be needed for the arm eligible arms).

Are the Cardinals trading Michael Wacha? Why exactly again, unless you are a Cardinals or Pirates fan, would the Reds trade a 24 yr old lefty under control until 2020 that posted up +131 ERA ball over 100 innings this season (Wacha was +131 over 65 innings).

Stephenson fills the gap perfecly post 2014/15 for the Reds rotation.

Hamilton - Possible, but unlikely.

The Reds just need to put together a 90-92 win club for 2014 (will be challenging given payroll issues and needs) and then build for a 95 win team from 2015 and beyond.

2015 and beyond

Latos
    Cingrani
    Any two of Cueto, Leake, Bailey, Chapman
    Stephenson

Votto
    Bruce

New manager

I'll take my chances every year that an average or above average GM can fill in the bullpen and position gaps at GABP around that core. This house needs some maintenance, but the structure and foundation is in excellent shape. Jocketty needs to be on his game this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Get the LaStella kid. Gritty player with LH bat who gets on base and can hit a little. If Uggla doesn't rebound, LaStella could step into 2B. Would give the Reds two New Jersey guys on the infield.
    La Stella is an interesting kid. Got a little Pedroia in him. Personally I'd tell the Braves that Uggla is a pill they're going to have to swallow and build a deal around Gattis (at least that's what I'd do if I was being forced to trade Phillips to the Braves).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

So if Phillips is moved, which I'm not opposed to in the sense that I'm not opposed to moving anyone depending on the return, how much money do you think the Brewers would be willing to kick in with Rickie Weeks? Not ideal certainly, but I think there's some bounce-back potential there and I'm trying to come up with other second basemen who might be available.

The A's have a couple guys in Lowrie and the other Weeks that are intriguing, but with that I don't know about the availability for either. The reality is that the lack of replacement options likely means Phillips stays put.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

A couple of rough ideas:

Phillips and Chapman to Toronto for Bautista (lineup improves)

Phillips to Chisox for A. Ramirez or G. Beckham (saves money)

Phillips to Seattle for D. Ackley (saves lots of money)

Phillips to NYY for B. Gardner

Phillips and prospect to TEX for Kinsler and prospect

Phillips and Hamilton to WAS for Redon and Span

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    So if Phillips is moved, which I'm not opposed to in the sense that I'm not opposed to moving anyone depending on the return, how much money do you think the Brewers would be willing to kick in with Rickie Weeks? Not ideal certainly, but I think there's some bounce-back potential there and I'm trying to come up with other second basemen who might be available.

The A's have a couple guys in Lowrie and the other Weeks that are intriguing, but with that I don't know about the availability for either. The reality is that the lack of replacement options likely means Phillips stays put.
    In regards to Milwaukee, I wouldn't trade him within the division. The A's are definitely a team to look at.

The Weeks misspell their name.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    The Reds aren't going to pay, nor should they pay, Shin Soo Choo a nine figure contract. Subtract Choo, Phillips and Arroyo and you've got 35-40M of payflex (10-15M will be needed for the arm eligible arms).
    Choo and Arroyo aren't part of the 79 million budgeted for 2014. We don't get any payflex if they leave.

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post

Are the Cardinals trading Michael Wacha? Why exactly again, unless you are a Cardinals or Pirates fan, would the Reds trade a 24 yr old lefty under control until 2020 that posted up +131 ERA ball over 100 innings this season (Wacha was +131 over 65 innings).

Stephenson fills the gap perfecly post 2014/15 for the Reds rotation.

Hamilton - Possible, but unlikely.

The Reds just need to put together a 90-92 win club for 2014 (will be challenging given payroll issues and needs) and then build for a 95 win team from 2015 and beyond.

2015 and beyond

Latos
    Cingrani
    Any two of Cueto, Leake, Bailey, Chapman
    Stephenson

Votto
    Bruce

New manager

I'll take my chances every year that an average or above average GM can fill in the bullpen and position gaps at GABP around that core. This house needs some maintenance, but the structure and foundation is in excellent shape. Jocketty needs to be on his game this offseason.
    I am ignorant, what free agents do you have your eye on? And the comparison with the cardinals and Wacha doesn't make sense because cards GM has shown that it will take a huge haul to have our youth, while jocketty has shown he is VERY open to trading young players. This cannot be denied.

The reds won't sign cano or Beltran (he will either be a cardinal or Yankee).

I am ignorant, what free agents do you have your eye on? And the comparison with the cardinals and Wacha doesn't make sense because cards GM has shown that it will take a huge haul to have our youth, while jocketty has shown he is VERY open to trading young players. This cannot be denied.

The reds won't sign cano or Beltran (he will either be a cardinal or Yankee).
    Jocketty has a history of trading the right young players, the players other teams want, but that he doesn't value very highly. With the exception of Dan Haren, Jocketty's been right every time.

The Cards aren't trading Wacha because the have faith he will be valuable to them in the future. The Reds feel the same way about Cingrani, Hamilton and Stephenson.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

And the comparison with the cardinals and Wacha doesn't make sense because cards GM has shown that it will take a huge haul to have our youth, while jocketty has shown he is VERY open to trading young players. This cannot be denied.
    Yep, that's exactly our plan. Ship off whatever talented prospects we have whenever possible for any return. Walt is probably on the phone right now trying to unload Stephenson for Ludwick's platoon partner.

Phillips and Hamilton to WAS for Redon and Span
    Rendon is a very interesting name, and he supposedly is not untouchable. IT sounds as if they'd dangle him for a top arm. Which makes me wonder if they might do Rendon and Storen for Chapman (with perhaps some prospect condiments either way). I like Rendon as a long term bet at either 2B or 3B.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post

I'd look into Scooter Gannet myself. He's not going to hit .300 like he did his rookie season, but he would be a perfect, cheap replacement for Phillips is Phillips is dealt elsewhere.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...e-3-team-style

Given the inherent difficulties in finding a suitor, but also the difficulty in getting a solid return, if the Reds truly want to move Phillips, a three-way trade may prove most suitable.
    So, we have three teams, all with incentives to make a deal, and possibly with the personnel to make a trade work. Here is how I envision the three-way trade working out:

Reds Trade 2B Brandon Phillips + $15 million and OF Ryan Ludwick to the NY Yankees
    Reds trade SP Tony Cingrani to the Tampa Bay Rays
    Reds receive SP David Price
    NY Yankees Receive 2B Brandon Phillips, $15 million, and OF Ryan Ludwick
    Yankees trade OF prospect Mason Williams to the Tampa Bay Rays
    Rays trade SP David Price to the Cincinnati Reds
    Rays receive OF prospect Mason Williams from NY Yankees
    Rays receive SP Tony Cingrani from Rays
    Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post