Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Phillips isn't the problem. Ludwick and will Choo re-sign is the problem(s).

Someone just needs to tell BP his job is to score 100 runs. That is his job offensively. And while they are at it, tell everyone else that too.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-07-2013),joshua (10-07-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Phillips isn't the problem. Ludwick and will Choo re-sign is the problem(s).

Someone just needs to tell BP his job is to score 100 runs. That is his job offensively. And while they are at it, tell everyone else that too.
    Phillips' contract is a major part of not being able to re-sign Choo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-07-2013),lollipopcurve (10-07-2013)

When can trades be made again? After the WS?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I believe his value has been in the combination of power and speed, something you don't always get from a 2nd baseman.
    I thought thoughts about Brandon Phillips as being speedy had been laid to rest. I mean....he goes first to third as well as anybody, but his range is based more on quickness than speed. He doesn't steal bases. I guess you can blame Votto and Choo for his gidp rate, but it's been bad for a while.

I'm not suggesting that Phillips is valueless, but lets be honest about what he IS.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Howie Kendrick was available during this past season, but who knows for next year. Maybe a Bailey swap would interest them.
    I just read an article somewhere this weekend that said he was available for pitching help.

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    BP gave C Trent a rant, but he also called his contract a slap in the face compared to Votto's.

In the first case, he is just calling out a reporter which I think is understandable in a grueling, frustrating season. However, the second case he is calling out management and his own teammates. I can see Bob not liking that at all. Fan favorite or not, you cannot bite the hand that feeds you.

I love BP and would hate to see him go, but if he has caused a rift in the clubhouse and pisse.d Bob off, then hopefully we can get some major league talent for him. I would assume we target one of the losers of the 3 team race for Cano (Dodgers, Yankess, Rangers).
    Forgot the contract comments.

Sometimes an owner cares more about team image than anything else. This could be such a time.

BP also said the team choked.

Lot of stuff for Bob not to like, possibly.

10. Likes:

membengal (10-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    50 million bucks for a guy who makes outs and is aging will be what others will see
    What others will see is a fan favorite with a dynamic personally that sells tickets and attracts viewers.

2B is a defensive first position, and even in decline, Phillips is one of, if not the best defensive 2B in the game. $50M for fours years if that is a bargain for most teams. It's a bargain for the Reds, but they need to fill some holes.

The Reds aren't trying to trade Phillips because of his contract, or because of his spat with CTrent. They are trying to trade Phillips because he will bring back parts the Reds need for next year. No way the Reds do a salary dump with Phillips.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

12. Likes:

Brisco (10-09-2013),Crumbley (10-07-2013)

Is Brandon a 10-5 guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Forgot the contract comments.

Sometimes an owner cares more about team image than anything else. This could be such a time.

BP also said the team choked.

Lot of stuff for Bob not to like, possibly.
    Phillips sells tickets, improves ratings. If Cast is getting rid of Phillips for personal reasons, it's a dumb business move.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

15. Likes:

bounty37h (10-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Is Brandon a 10-5 guy?
    While he's played in parts of 12 seasons, Cots shows him as having 8.02 years of service time. Not sure if that's been updated, but if it hasn't that's still under ten, so he wouldn't have 10/5 rights.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    What others will see is a fan favorite with a dynamic personally that sells tickets and attracts viewers.

2B is a defensive first position, and even in decline, Phillips is one of, if not the best defensive 2B in the game. $50M for fours years if that is a bargain for most teams. It's a bargain for the Reds, but they need to fill some holes.

The Reds aren't trying to trade Phillips because of his contract, or because of his spat with CTrent. They are trying to trade Phillips because he will bring back parts the Reds need for next year. No way the Reds do a salary dump with Phillips.
    .701 and the guy has made more outs in the past 4 years than any other NL player, plus he can't seem to not create waves from time to time.

I like Philips at a lower price and all the platitudes you mention are great, at 50 million over the next few years it seems a little excessive to not mention his downside. As for defense yeah it's defensive position, but it's not SS and it's not CF and it's thin position around the game now, and yes he could help someone else out. But IMO he's hard to move now that they inked that extension

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-07-2013),OGB (10-08-2013),wlf WV (10-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Phillips sells tickets, improves ratings. If Cast is getting rid of Phillips for personal reasons, it's a dumb business move.
    Not if it means the difference between winning and losing. Essentially, the Reds could swap contracts with BP and Choo (paying choo a little more on average/year). You get a whole lot more value out of Choo's contract there than you do with BPs.
    Just call me Legs

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    While he's played in parts of 12 seasons, Cots shows him as having 8.02 years of service time. Not sure if that's been updated, but if it hasn't that's still under ten, so he wouldn't have 10/5 rights.
    He's played 8 full years, had 393 PAs in another, and 36, 24, and 9 in parts of 3 other seasons. He's not 10 and 5 yet, but he's getting close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    He's played 8 full years, had 393 PAs in another, and 36, 24, and 9 in parts of 3 other seasons. He's not 10 and 5 yet, but he's getting close.
    I went back and looked at Cot's and at the top of the Reds page, it clearly says through 2012, so he's just under ten (as we've both noted), so this is the last year where he cannot nix a trade.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Worn out his welcome implies selling low. Any trade might have to be for someone else in need of a change of scenery.
    Just no Uggla, please.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Turn Off Ads?