Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    Most people work 40 hours a week, BP "works" about 18 hours a week. Not to mention how much money he is being paid in comparison to the average Joe who works 40 hours a week. If he can't refrain from tweeting during those 18 hours, he needs to go.
    That sounds more like jealousy that he only "works" 18 hours than it does for being a good reason why there's any problem with him sneaking a Tweet here or there.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    But have you ever made a phone call at work? Browsed the internet? Done anything that wasn't 100% having to do with your job? Same difference, really.

And yes, I made a big deal because there's a big difference as to whether someone can be legally fired because of what Phillips said at an at-will job and whether a contractor or employee subject to a strict, labor agreement can be terminated for such a thing. Unlike that situation, there's really no difference with a baseball player sneaking a peak at their Twitter account between innings and an employee sneaking one on their job. Unless it's impacting their work performance, it's not a big deal.
    So, if I'm manager, I don't allow my players to tweet during games. Like I said, during a major league game, that's not ok with me.

Would you knowingly allow it to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So if I'm clear, are there some of you who if managing the Reds, don't tell BP to knock off the tweeting during games?
    I'd tell him the same thing I told my employees when I was managing a chain of cellular stores: as long as you're getting the job done and I don't suspect your work performance is becoming distracted, it doesn't bother me. The minute I think you're spending too much time on it and not enough time working, then yes, knock it off.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I'd tell him the same thing I told my employees when I was managing a chain of cellular stores: as long as you're getting the job done and I don't suspect your work performance is becoming distracted, it doesn't bother me. The minute I think you're spending too much time on it and not enough time working, then yes, knock it off.
    I wouldn't knowingly allow it all other reasons aside,simply for the fact that if the media picked up on it, and found that I allowed it, I'd be skewered the first time this happened.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...illips-up.html

I wouldn't knowingly allow it all other reasons aside,simply for the fact that if the media picked up on it, and found that I allowed it, I'd be skewered the first time this happened.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...illips-up.html
    Why on earth does the media knowing about it matter?

I don't know about you, but I don't make decisions based on what others "think." I make decisions on what I think actually matters. What the media thinks about it definitely does not matter one bit. I just don't subscribe to the PC culture and make decisions on what's popular.

I don't have an opinion on Phillips texting someone during the game but I hope he never twerks during a game. (Except for the time that guy with the Astros slide into him)

I'm a reasonable guy, I will add. And if the goings good, I'll let things slide depending on circumstances.

But just today our own RMR, who is one of the more impressive analytical guys on here, mentioned he observed a team with no energy this year. Just going thru the motions.

Now, if that's the case, you bet I'm not going to allow distractions such as tweeting during games knowingly go on during my watch. Sorry.

9. Likes:

gilpdawg (10-24-2013)

There is a ton of dirty laundry out there about Phillips on the web (he's not going to be up for father of the year awards any time soon) as I am sure there is about a lot of other ball players. However none of this makes the light of day as long as he is filling up the stat sheet to fans satisfaction. My how fans can put up with things as long as a player continues to exceed expectation, the worm quickly has turned though as Phillips continues to deteriorate.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (10-24-2013)

Why on earth does the media knowing about it matter?

I don't know about you, but I don't make decisions based on what others "think." I make decisions on what I think actually matters. What the media thinks about it definitely does not matter one bit. I just don't subscribe to the PC culture and make decisions on what's popular.
    The media has been known to run players and coaches out of towns.

If I'm manager, I don't allow that to happen because I decided to let players use twitter during games. Especially when the chips are down.

Most people work 40 hours a week, BP "works" about 18 hours a week. Not to mention how much money he is being paid in comparison to the average Joe who works 40 hours a week. If he can't refrain from tweeting during those 18 hours, he needs to go.
    Baseball players "work" a lot more than 18 hours a week. They often play everyday of the week and when you factor in all the time the spend at park and traveling 18 hours doesn't even begin to cover it.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

14. Likes:

gilpdawg (10-24-2013), New Fever (10-24-2013), Revering4Blue (10-23-2013), TRF (10-24-2013)

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Baseball players "work" a lot more than 18 hours a week. They often play everyday of the week and when you factor in all the time the spend at park and traveling 18 hours doesn't even begin to cover it.
    I was using 18 hours a week for the texting argument because I don't really care if the player tweets during a travel or whatever, just don't tweet during a game.

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

I was using 18 hours a week for the texting argument because I don't really care if the player tweets during a travel or whatever, just don't tweet during a game.
    To me tweeting during practice or during meetings is just as bad. That's when you are suppose to be honing your craft or studying your opponent and you're worried about your next piece of tail...not cool.

17. Likes:

Slyder (10-24-2013)

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    To me tweeting during practice or during meetings is just as bad. That's when you are suppose to be honing your craft or studying your opponent and you're worried about your next piece of tail...not cool.
    Depending on the manager a no texting/tweeting policy could (should, IMO) be implemented at those times too, but it is hard for me to quantify how much time players spend in meetings/practice so it was easier to just use games, which is the worst offense, IMO.

"So Fla Red"

Depending on the manager a no texting/tweeting policy could (should, IMO) be implemented at those times too, but it is hard for me to quantify how much time players spend in meetings/practice so it was easier to just use games, which is the worst offense, IMO.
    Howver, prank calling the banana phone during rain delays and reading Redszone game threads for entertainment value should be encouraged at all times.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (10-24-2013)

The media has been known to run players and coaches out of towns.

If I'm manager, I don't allow that to happen because I decided to let players use twitter during games. Especially when the chips are down.
    The media only has the power to run someone out of town if management decides to listen to the media. That's the whole point... management shouldn't be basing decisions on whether the media is in favor.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (10-24-2013)

Turn Off Ads?