Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I'm not particularly sure why seeing as Zobrist is a plus 2B and Sandoval probably grades out about average, but ok.
    Sandoval is not average. He's below average. And he's declining in every aspect of his game. And he makes 8 million dollars. And there is no current heir apparent in the Reds system for 3B for either him or Frazier.

a thousand times blech.

I've always liked Zobrist, but he's the definition of Utility player, albeit with a nice healthy bat. He's a solid if not spectacular glove owed 14.5M over the next two seasons (team options). He's also coming off his worst year. He hasn't sniffed his breakout season which came at age 28, and he'll be 33 next year.

That's why I pass. If the team is trading for guys, I want high upside young guys. And yes, I know it takes talent to get talent, which is why I'd offer Bailey for Profar only. No way do I offer Bailey for either Zobrist or Sandoval. I wouldn't offer Mike Leake for Sandoval, and I think everyone knows where I stand on Leake.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The heir apparent is Seth Mejias-Brean. I'll take him over Frazer in 2016.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    The heir apparent is Seth Mejias-Brean. I'll take him over Frazer in 2016.
    I'll take SMB over Frazier if he ever becomes a better player than the ToddFather.
    Sabermetrics can be boiled down to this simple truism: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Walt on Sirius XM with Mike Ferrin today about Phillips, payroll, Chapman, and more:

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmsport...-jocketty-they

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    That's why I pass. If the team is trading for guys, I want high upside young guys. And yes, I know it takes talent to get talent, which is why I'd offer Bailey for Profar only. No way do I offer Bailey for either Zobrist or Sandoval. I wouldn't offer Mike Leake for Sandoval, and I think everyone knows where I stand on Leake.
    Yeah, that's all great in the abstract but it's not like you get to just go shopping for players like it's a grocery store. There aren't multiple copies and you just pick however many you want. If you're buying, you don't match-up perfectly, you're probably going to give more than you get.

For instance, why on earth would Texas send us Profar for one year of Bailey? Their rotation is pretty good and Beltre's defense is already slipping, so they can just DH him and play Profar at 3B for the next 6 years without thinking. If they want another pitcher they can sign a FA and all it costs is money. Is not like Homer's got some great contract. As a buyer, you have to sweeten the pot some.

7. Likes:

Crumbley (10-29-2013), mth123 (10-29-2013), Revering4Blue (10-29-2013)

RT @DatDudeBP #WellAlright...
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    RT @DatDudeBP #WellAlright...
    Just saw that and was coming on here to post. With BP it could mean anything though...

the A in Alright is capitalized. Clearly an indication he has been dealt to the Atlanta Braves. Has nothing to do with Twitter etiquette.

I'm going to go start the thread.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-30-2013), camisadelgolf (11-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 90reds View Post
    Just saw that and was coming on here to post. With BP it could mean anything though...
    Like I said:

Brandon Phillips ‏@DatDudeBP 1h
    #WellAlright... Really enjoying my busy day so far lol! Meet & greet w/ kids, an autograph session and finally got #Avatar 🚘 washed! #Brrrr

Nope, it's about the fact that Brandon just got another Gold Glove according to the Cinci Reds FB page posting....

14. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-30-2013), Joseph (10-29-2013), marcshoe (10-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    the A in Alright is capitalized. Clearly an indication he has been dealt to the Atlanta Braves. Has nothing to do with Twitter etiquette.

My guess it is b/c he won the Gold Glove today.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    My guess it is b/c he won the Gold Glove today.
    I know, I was just trying to stir debate.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

Not so fast... A "W" in that hashtag is the first capital letter. This means that his first choice is to be traded to Washington - our nation's capital.

That's followed by a lowercase "ell," which could be code for the letter "L," implying he wants to go to "ell-A." This is confirmed by the remaining letters "llright," which translate to "L right," signaling that the previous guess of 'L' is correct.

Since there are two Ls in the signal, that either means he's going to the SECOND team in LA, the Angels or he's underscoring the "L" to signal that it's not the "A" team (Angels) he's headed to in LA. This part will have to remain a mystery for now.

So the code is cracked and he's off to Washington or LA.
    /r/reds

So after reading all of the various trade threads it seems to me we have an excuse for keeping everyone, but we are not ok with the results of everyone. Signing choo alone isn't the answer. Whether he's here or not there's going to be changes. Let's get it through our heads that the reds have a few subpar offensive players and there needs to be some wholesale offensive changes or we get 2011 all over again.

Someone has to be moved or platooned. Frazier isn't an answer at third. Hanigan is a poor paring with Mes, and Hamilton brings done killer speed but we could use a backup plan. Let's quit making excuses for underperforming players and hoping they get better and talk about bringing some better players. Sandoval is overweight but you can fix that. At age 28 you can't fix a hole in fraziers swing.

I'm liking mth's idea of bring in platoon partners. It'd really be a cost effective way to up performance. I think if we can do that plus bring in a permanent fix at a spot that the team will be set moving forward.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 10-30-2013 at 10:55 AM.

19. Likes:

Kc61 (10-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    So after reading all of the various trade threads it seems to me we have an excuse for keeping everyone, but we are not ok with the results of everyone. Signing choo alone isn't the answer. Whether he's here or not there's going to be changes. Let's get it through our heads that the reds have a few subpar offensive players and there needs to be some wholesale offensive changes or we get 2011 all over again.

Someone has to be moved or platooned. Frazier isn't an answer at third. Hanigan is a poor paring with Mes, and Hamilton brings done killer speed but we could use a backup plan. Let's quit making excuses for underperforming players and hoping they get better and talk about bringing some better players. Sandoval is overweight but you can fix that. At age 28 you can't fix a hole in fraziers swing.

I'm liking mth's idea of bring in platoon partners. It'd really be a cost effective way to up performance. I think if we can do that plus bring in a permanent fix at a spot that the team will be set moving forward.
    Agree. Whether the team goes to platoons, or replacements, and which guys the Reds just keep in place will likely depend on the specifics. Who is available, at what price, contract status, payroll, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Reds go the "Choo route" and get a few players with expiring contracts. Some of these players, like perhaps Sandoval, are often available for trade. It's a way to shoot for 2014 without long term commitments.

The first info should be the qualifying offer date which is, I think, five days after the Series ends. We will learn much then. Choo will likely just get a qualifying offer.

As for Arroyo, IMO, they will either announce a new deal (less likely) or not extend an offer (more likely). If I'm right, then the Reds will have some more money to work with, although they will be down one starting pitcher. I recognize many feel I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-30-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Turn Off Ads?