Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Agree. Whether the team goes to platoons, or replacements, and which guys the Reds just keep in place will likely depend on the specifics. Who is available, at what price, contract status, payroll, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Reds go the "Choo route" and get a few players with expiring contracts. Some of these players, like perhaps Sandoval, are often available for trade. It's a way to shoot for 2014 without long term commitments.

The first info should be the qualifying offer date which is, I think, five days after the Series ends. We will learn much then. Choo will likely just get a qualifying offer.

As for Arroyo, IMO, they will either announce a new deal (less likely) or not extend an offer (more likely). If I'm right, then the Reds will have some more money to work with, although they will be down one starting pitcher. I recognize many feel I'm wrong.
    Arroyo brings as many questions to the offseason as choo. Maybe more. You sign him, and that gives you flexibility to move another pitcher. You don't you still have a solid albeit injury susceptible staff with chapman still closing.

I think the best route to go would first to look into moving position players for upgrades. Toronto has made no secrets about wanting a 2b and catcher. Maybe Phillips Frazier and hanigan there for Bautista. Make Bautista do a chooesque position change and put him at third. At that point you have to consider what else has happened. Can you move a starter bc you've resigned arroyo? Do you feel comfortable with chapman as a starter if no arroyo? Do you go FA? If they feel ok with chapman starting and have a closing option or bring arroyo back, then I'd look into a leake for Kendrick type of deal. If not maybe take a look at infante. After that fund platoon partners for the appropriate guys like mth suggested and I think we'd be set without giving up much pitching

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dave Cameron was asked in a chat about what the potential return for Phillips might be. He replied "a couple of bullpen arms".

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Dave Cameron was asked in a chat about what the potential return for Phillips might be. He replied "a couple of bullpen arms".
    Cool. So Craig Kimbrell and Jordan Walden. I could live with that.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

marcshoe (11-06-2013)

They call me "chef"

BP for some 32 year old AAAA Yankees bullpen arms would be a great deal for ESPN.

7. Likes:

joshua (11-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    If that's what the market is offering they better not trade him...
    Go BLUE!!!

9. Likes:

REDREAD (11-07-2013)

Fay predicts BP will be back with the Reds next year. So, I wonder where he'll be traded?

11. Likes:

757690 (11-07-2013),joshua (11-07-2013),Reds/Flyers Fan (11-07-2013)

From another thread, via Pepperjack

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=34

https://twitter.com/jjcoop36

Quote:
    Could be wrong, but wouldn't be shocked at all if Billy Hamilton is the Reds' starting 2B in 2014.

Quote:
    If rumors of Phillips trade end up being true, Hamilton is most logical option in org to replace him, no other obvious possibilities.

Quote:
    Delino DeShields, former SS turned 2B, told me in 2012 that he thought Hamilton would be a great 2B. Arm was biggest question at SS.
    If this is the result of a Phillips trade, I'd be much happier.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (11-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He's played almost as many innings at 2B as he has at CF. Ideally, I want Hamilton to be a supersub, though. Those guys usually get 300 AB/year, plus you can use his speed situationally, which matters a lot in a post-steroid era. I bet he can produce just as much in that role as he would as a starter, and it lets you save the starting slots for people that get on base.

15. Likes:

757690 (11-07-2013)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    From another thread, via Pepperjack

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=34

As an aside, I sure would love to see DeShields added to the Reds' major league coaching corp under Price. He did wonders for Hamilton at Dayton and there's little doubt he'd do the same in Cinci.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    BP for some 32 year old AAAA Yankees bullpen arms would be a great deal for ESPN.
    Maybe the "Dat Dude" radio show could become a fixture on ESPN Radio, rather than just residing in obscurity on WLW?
    /r/reds

18. Likes:

REDREAD (11-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Maybe the "Dat Dude" radio show could become a fixture on ESPN Radio, rather than just residing in obscurity on WLW?
    Could also be Seg's big break. Temp Star!

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Yeah, that's all great in the abstract but it's not like you get to just go shopping for players like it's a grocery store. There aren't multiple copies and you just pick however many you want. If you're buying, you don't match-up perfectly, you're probably going to give more than you get.

For instance, why on earth would Texas send us Profar for one year of Bailey? Their rotation is pretty good and Beltre's defense is already slipping, so they can just DH him and play Profar at 3B for the next 6 years without thinking. If they want another pitcher they can sign a FA and all it costs is money. Is not like Homer's got some great contract. As a buyer, you have to sweeten the pot some.
    Simple answer is they'd do it with a 72 hour window to negotiate a LT contract. If they can't deal would be off. I bet Bailey would sign a deal with them. Plus they have the money to get it done.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale

One of the biggest trade chips at next week's GM meetings will be 2B Brandon Phillips, who appears to have played his final game for #Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    There must be a ton more rumblings going on than we are actually hearing/seeing as there are multiple people who are saying Phillips being traded is a foregone conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    There must be a ton more rumblings going on than we are actually hearing/seeing as there are multiple people who are saying Phillips being traded is a foregone conclusion.
    Either that or the Reds' "source" is telling the entire every reporter in the world.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?