Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Either that or the Reds' "source" is telling the entire every reporter in the world.
    Maybe, but from what we know of Walt Jocketty and leaks regarding the machinations of his proceedings, I doubt it is coming from the Reds. The big trades with the Reds tend to become known in the last portion of the process. Latos and Choo, became public knowledge at about the time the commissioner's office was being submitted paperwork. Broxton was the same, as was the supposed Denard Span trade.

The only two trades that Walt got involved with that we heard about beforehand, didn't get done, those being Cliff Lee and Umbaldo Jimenez.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Likes:

joshua (11-07-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If that's what the market is offering they better not trade him...
    Dave Cameron said last week that the Royals were a fit for a BP trade. This week he said a couple of bullpen arms was a fair return for BP.
    what about BP to the Royals for Tim Collins & Kelvin Herrera? The Royals get a second baseman which they need. The Reds get needed depth for the pen & salary relief.

While Jocketty is usually quiet on the trade/FA front, it's possible he's trying to get the Phillips market hot so he can get a sense of the market for him more quickly. I wouldn't trust rumblings about a specific trade, but I could see him priming the pump.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Dave Cameron said last week that the Royals were a fit for a BP trade. This week he said a couple of bullpen arms was a fair return for BP.
    what about BP to the Royals for Tim Collins & Kelvin Herrera? The Royals get a second baseman which they need. The Reds get needed depth for the pen & salary relief.
    I had been considering Herrera as a target too. However, I'd rather get the guy the Royals have soured on, Johnny Giavotella, rather than a second reliever.

Even if he's just a super-sub, he can put together a professional at bat -- moreso than Henry Rodriguez.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    No. I don't see how dealing one of the best all-around players on the team with no identifiable replacement for depth for the pen and salary relief possibly makes this a better team.
    Go BLUE!!!

8. Likes:

bounty37h (11-07-2013),LexRedsFan (11-07-2013),M2 (11-07-2013),New Fever (11-07-2013),Old school 1983 (11-07-2013),REDREAD (11-08-2013)

Maybe the Enquirer can cut a deal to send Daugherty to the NYT for George Vecsey.

10. Likes:

Big Klu (11-07-2013),HeatherC1212 (11-07-2013),joshua (11-07-2013),Larkin Fan (11-07-2013),mbgrayson (11-07-2013),OC_Red (11-07-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (11-07-2013),REDREAD (11-08-2013),Reds/Flyers Fan (11-07-2013),reds1869 (11-10-2013),Revering4Blue (11-07-2013),Slyder (11-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I had been considering Herrera as a target too. However, I'd rather get the guy the Royals have soured on, Johnny Giavotella, rather than a second reliever.

Even if he's just a super-sub, he can put together a professional at bat -- moreso than Henry Rodriguez.
    No on Giavotella, I think he is a AAAA guy. Aside from the salary relief they have to get something tangible for Phillips, to appease the Brandon Phillips posed for a picture crowd. Giavotella, is out of options as well, if I read it correctly.

The Royals and Reds have some redundant parts to swing around in a deal. I would rather expand it, and get something else useful.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 11-07-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    No on Giavotella, I think he is a AAAA guy. Aside from the salary relief they have to get something tangible for Phillips, to appease the Brandon Phillips posed for a picture crowd. Giavotella, is out of options as well, if I read it correctly.

The Royals and Reds have some redundant parts to swing around in a deal. I would rather expand it, and get something else useful.
    Yeah, like Alex Gordon.
    Go BLUE!!!

Someone earlier mentioned the idea of Billy Hamilton as a supersub. Maybe the Reds could use him like Zobrist for the Rays has been in the past? He could fill in capably at 2b, SS, CF easily. Plus with the situational aspect of him he can start, sub, pinchrun. I really like this idea. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    No. I don't see how dealing one of the best all-around players on the team with no identifiable replacement for depth for the pen and salary relief possibly makes this a better team.
    I'm with you. To a degree I feel like I'm watching a horror movie and the Reds have just wandered off into the woods alone in a drunken stupor. Nothing good is going to happen out there.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

15. Likes:

Crumbley (11-07-2013),jimbo (11-07-2013),REDREAD (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    Someone earlier mentioned the idea of Billy Hamilton as a supersub. Maybe the Reds could use him like Zobrist for the Rays has been in the past? He could fill in capably at 2b, SS, CF easily. Plus with the situational aspect of him he can start, sub, pinchrun. I really like this idea. Thoughts?
    I could see this for next season. Ultimately the hope is to have BH play CF every day, but for next year I could see him moving around the field to get some playing time.

Contrary to the usual wisdom around here, I would be surprised if BH went back to the minor leagues. His speed/baserunning is a very potent weapon which is "ready."

Hamilton's speed is an asset limited by time; it won't last forever. If I were GM, I would want that speed in the big leagues immediately, while it's in peak form.

17. Likes:

malcontent (11-07-2013),Old school 1983 (11-07-2013)

I am currently debating with a Tigers fan on motownsports fan forum about the following trade:

Someone said the Tigers should trade Porcello and Austin Jackson for Chapman and Billy Hamilton.

I said that is not enough to get Chapman and Hamilton. Someone came back with Billy being "terrible' and Chapman being a reliever. I said, Walt and all of baseball knows that the Tigers are desperate for relief pitching and the only way Walt would even talk to Dave Dombrowski is if Castellanos is on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm with you. To a degree I feel like I'm watching a horror movie and the Reds have just wandered off into the woods alone in a drunken stupor. Nothing good is going to happen out there.
    I agree with the sentiment on a BP trade, but I have enough faith in Walt to believe he won't screw the pooch on anything. Now, if Castellini gets heavily involved and forces Walt's hand ...

20. Likes:

REDREAD (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    I agree with the sentiment on a BP trade, but I have enough faith in Walt to believe he won't screw the pooch on anything. Now, if Castellini gets heavily involved and forces Walt's hand ...
    Presumably the salary relief wouldn't be pocketed. Walt would spend it on something.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I am currently debating with a Tigers fan on motownsports fan forum about the following trade:

Someone said the Tigers should trade Porcello and Austin Jackson for Chapman and Billy Hamilton.

I said that is not enough to get Chapman and Hamilton. Someone came back with Billy being "terrible' and Chapman being a reliever. I said, Walt and all of baseball knows that the Tigers are desperate for relief pitching and the only way Walt would even talk to Dave Dombrowski is if Castellanos is on the table.
    If Hamilton is terrible then why are they proposing to trade for him? FWIW, I like Jackson. I'd also like to see the Reds sink their mitts into Drew Smyly.

Actually the guy on the Reds the Tigers really could use is Phillips. He and Iglesias would shore up what has been some terrible IF defense for that team. And Phillips could give them that glove while essentially replacing Jhonny Peralta's production.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?