Turn Off Ads?
Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Brandon Phillips is kinda just trolling everyone right now.

https://twitter.com/DatDudeBP
    I don't get it...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    You don't waste speed like Hamilton's in the minors. The team will have to be creative in their use of him, maybe he's not a daily starter, but putting him at AAA is a massive waste.
    If he's not a daily starter, then he absolutely needs to be in AAA getting ABs

Man Pills

You can't wait forever if you want to exploit Hamilton's speed. He either needs to be playing in MLB soon or traded before the bloom is off the rose.

5. Likes:

Benihana (11-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Well, there is a lot of ground between a .308 OBP in AAA and a .400 OBP. His legs won't do anything if he isn't on base. I don't want some guy at the top of the line-up making outs 3 out of 4 PAs no matter how fast he is. I know everyone thinks he's unstoppable, but he only reached base at a .308 clip in AAA. With all his speed, in 547 PAs he scored a fairly pedestrian 75 Runs. In 2012, a universally judged inadequate Drew Stubbs scored 75 Runs in 544 PAs. Stubbs accumulated those numbers in the big leagues and had enough pop to add 14 HRs to the mix. Hamilton's numbers were at AAA, how much worse would they be against big league pitching and major league catchers? If it falls below the Stubbs 2012 season, which it seems like it would, I don't want that on the roster no matter how fast he runs.

What Hamilton did in the majors last season was impactful because he was used as a PR and his speed was utilized as a situational tool. If he's playing every day, we're going to see all the ugly warts we didn't see in his month in the big leagues. I know he seems unstoppable, but based on his AAA numbers, guys who weren't even major league pitchers were stopping him. He's simply not ready to be a big league player. Give him another couple of months in AAA at least. If he seems to be getting on base, call him up. When he arrives, I want the guy who will score 120 runs per year in the lead-off spot (the AA version of BH projected to 141 Runs scored in 700 PAs), not some pedestrian 90 to 95. Let's give him a chance to develop and get there. If he shows he's ready, he can be called up. There will be plenty of PAs for whoever they acquire.

As for Span, he's kind of meh in my book. If he could be had for spare parts, he'd be OK. He's a superb defender, but I want something better offensively if he's going to require dealing off major pieces with value. If he could be had straight-up for Phillips, I'd do it because I think it would help the Reds long term to get out from under Phillips deal but it's a wash at best for 2014. I wouldn't deal any top 10 prospects or any members of the rotation for him.
    I'm not basing my opinion on just what he did last year. I'm looking at the warts too. In 2012 the reds won 97 games with Drew Stubbs leading off and having an OBP of .277. Last year they won 7 less with choo having a stellar OBP. I have to ask why. A minor factor would be the loss of Houston and the pirates being better. So if that's the case, then maybe Stubbs v. Choo is a wash. So why? In 2012 the the heart of the reds lineup was chugging along. A nice year from votto ludwick Phillips and probably a career year from Frazier. Compare that to 2013. We had one great OBP followed by a hole in the lineup. The heart of the lineup was often staggered with huge peaks and valleys in production. One great OBP followed by a meh OBP. That is the main issue with the reds lineup, not a high OBP leadoff guy or lack thereof. Resources need to be used to acquire a starting big right handed bat for either left or 3b at this point and a nice platoon partner for the tensing position as well as a solid replacement for 2b and a closer if chapman goes into the rotation. History tells us that the reds can win without a huge leadoff OBP, but aren't as good without consistent production throught the lineup.

When comes to the power, Stubbs did have 14 homers, but Hamilton will probably have more steals. It's a trade off. Hamilton also realizes he is not a power hitter. He'll be bunting and trying to make contact on the ground. The guy best out a routine grounder to second. That's nuts. Plus he'd be a huge defensive upgrade over choo. A lineup of

Hamilton
    Votto
    Acquired right bat
    Bruce
    Ludwick/Frazier (platooned with whoever)
    Mes
    Cozart/acquired 2b
    Cozart/acquired 2b

Is better than what the reds ran out the majority of last year.

7. Likes:

Kc61 (11-10-2013), membengal (11-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    If he's not a daily starter, then he absolutely needs to be in AAA getting ABs
    I'm sure we all watched Hamilton's impact as a pinch runner in September.

The Reds will win several close games (otherwise lost) if Hamilton is on the base paths.

He absolutely has to be on the ballclub.

Hamilton is different. You can't use the usual measures and the usual patterns. If Hamilton was on the Reds' bench all year in 2013 IMO they would have won several more games and maybe had a better playoff position. I'd say probably would have.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-10-2013 at 09:35 AM.

9. Likes:

757690 (11-10-2013), Old school 1983 (11-10-2013), reds1869 (11-10-2013)

The Reds will win several close games (otherwise lost) if Hamilton is on the base paths.

Hamilton is different. You can't use the usual measures and the usual patterns. If Hamilton was on the Reds' bench all year in 2013 IMO they would have won several more games and maybe had a better playoff position. I'd say probably would have.
    Keeping Hamilton on the MLB roster in Itzuris' spot for 2014 makes a lot of sense. Even if he replicates Itzuris' pathetic batting line, Hamilton will give extra value as a backup in CF, SS and maybe 2B.

But his real value will come as it did this September, coming off the bench as a late in ing pinch runner in close games. His WAR may be terrible, but he could be the equivilant of a 5+ Win player by helping the Reds win more close games. Kinda like the offensive version of a closer.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

11. Likes:

Crumbley (11-10-2013), kpresidente (11-10-2013), reds1869 (11-10-2013), wolfboy (11-10-2013)

If that's the premise and that's the role, then I think he could have value, but the premise laid out here was that Hamilton would be fine holding down CF every day and that the Reds don't need to waste resources acquiring a CF. That's a lot different than what you laid out above. The Reds absolutely need to address CF with some one other than Hamilton. They also need to address several other positions by clearing some money and signing/acquiring several role playing free agents to make those positions more productive as a position even if they don't completely replace the current starter.

That role will stunt Hamilton's development though. He may never be the Willie Wilsonesque dynamic lead-off man we all hope for if he's kept around as a pinch runner. He'd probably be better utilized in a deal to bring back some one who solves a spot for 600 PAs.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Brandon Phillips is kinda just trolling everyone right now.

https://twitter.com/DatDudeBP
    What does that even mean? How is he "trolling" everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I don't get it...

He is joking around with his fans and followers on twitter. That is why he added the "lol" and the emoticon, his implication is him and the Braves SS as a double play tandem. It is him messing around with fans who have heard the rumors.

He is joking around with his fans and followers on twitter. That is why he added the "lol" and the emoticon, his implication is him and the Braves SS as a double play tandem. It is him messing around with fans who have heard the rumors.
    Yep and that is hardly trolling. I haven't always liked some of Phillips antics, but he's not really been a bad guy. I just think he's on the brink of falling off a cliff production-wise and think his contract is an obstacle that will require the Reds pass-on or cut-loose better players.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

If that's the premise and that's the role, then I think he could have value, but the premise laid out here was that Hamilton would be fine holding down CF every day and that the Reds don't need to waste resources acquiring a CF. That's a lot different than what you laid out above. The Reds absolutely need to address CF with some one other than Hamilton. They also need to address several other positions by clearing some money and signing/acquiring several role playing free agents to make those positions more productive as a position even if they don't completely replace the current starter.

That role will stunt Hamilton's development though. He may never be the Willie Wilsonesque dynamic lead-off man we all hope for if he's kept around as a pinch runner. He'd probably be better utilized in a deal to bring back some one who solves a spot for 600 PAs.
    Address the larger needs first. Add a big bat. Add a platoon partner. Don't use a major piece to upgrade center. The best bet would be to improve the other spots first unless of course you can add a big right handed bat to CF, then by all means do so. If not add it elsewhere and find a solid backup type center fielder and give Hamilton most of the time. In my proposed lineup I post earlier in this thread I have Hamilton followed by votto an acquired right handed bat and Bruce. Hamiltons impact will not only be his own OBP and OPS, but the impact he has on the offensive production of those that follow him in the lineup. Hitters will see a flustered pitcher and a steady diet if fastballs any time Hamilton gets on. So let's say he completely tanks and his OBP is .250. (I don't think that will happen btw). But even so that's 1/4 of vottos at bats that arguably the best hitter in the majors will be seeing a steady diet of fastballs to drive. The same will go for the next two guys down the lineup. Hamilton might not have a huge ops, but IMO he'd help raise the ops of hitters behind him.

Yep and that is hardly trolling.

I wasn't trying to say he's a bad guy with the trolling line, but purposefully messing with his fans and followers on twitter after the rumors is trolling to me.

He said it just to push buttons, while in a playful manner. He meant no harm, was trying to be a jerk, just teasing fans with rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Address the larger needs first. Add a big bat. Add a platoon partner. Don't use a major piece to upgrade center. The best bet would be to improve the other spots first unless of course you can add a big right handed bat to CF, then by all means do so. If not add it elsewhere and find a solid backup type center fielder and give Hamilton most of the time. In my proposed lineup I post earlier in this thread I have Hamilton followed by votto an acquired right handed bat and Bruce. Hamiltons impact will not only be his own OBP and OPS, but the impact he has on the offensive production of those that follow him in the lineup. Hitters will see a flustered pitcher and a steady diet if fastballs any time Hamilton gets on. So let's say he completely tanks and his OBP is .250. (I don't think that will happen btw). But even so that's 1/4 of vottos at bats that arguably the best hitter in the majors will be seeing a steady diet of fastballs to drive. The same will go for the next two guys down the lineup. Hamilton might not have a huge ops, but IMO he'd help raise the ops of hitters behind him.
    and 3/4 of his PAs with nobody on base. Hamilton will still be picked off and thrown out some, so there will be some other bases empty situations on top of that. Stacking the two spots in front of Votto with the pitcher and a .250ish OBP seems like a bad plan no matter how many bases he steals. When he does steel, the best hitter in the NL will be walked harmlessly. I really hope they get that top notch guy in the 3 hole.

He's at an event with the guy...

He took a picture with Ozzie Smith too, is that him implying that he will be a part of a new double play tandem at the Tuesday night softball league in Del Boca Vista?

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown View Post

He's at an event with the guy...

He took a picture with Ozzie Smith too, is that him implying that he will be a part of a new double play tandem at the Tuesday night softball league in Del Boca Vista?

Again, please pay attention this time.

#RawlingsGoldGlove: Coolin' it w/ #Braves #PlatinumGlove @Andrelton! Next time don't hit the ball up the middle lol
    The bold portion is his joking insinuation of him and Simmons up the middle. Notice the "next time" and "lol".

As to the comments he made about Smith.

#RawlingsGoldGlove: Coolin' it w/ #MLB's GREATEST defensive SS ever #HOF @STLWizard aka #TheWizard! He taught me well
    Apples to oranges, just like his comments about Kevin James, Dave Winfield, and Dennis Haysbert.

Turn Off Ads?