Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Tom Verducci today discusses teams with the worst performance at particular positions last year, mostly based on offense.

The Blue Jays are listed for second base in the AL and the recommendation is a trade for Phillips.

Phillips in a deal for Bautista seems like a fairly obvious trade. Not sure who else would have to be involved.

I could see the Jays insisting on Bailey. I could see the Reds insisting on Jays taking Ludwick's contract. I could also see the Reds insisting on a top prospect and another decent MLB player.

I could see the Reds wanting Brett Lawrie who is the scrappy type player that might help energize the team, although not sure he is a better fit than Frazier. Wonder if Lawrie plays second. I could see the Blue Jays being interested in Hanigan.

Rasmus would seem a bit much because the Jays would be really cleaning house. Reds would want him if not signing Choo.

Point is there seems to be a good trade fit between these clubs starting off with Bautista and Phillips, as has been discussed before.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-20-2013 at 11:12 AM.

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-20-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    I don't like this particular trade, but I think it's curious that the board seems 100% fine with letting Choo (a bigger piece of the 2013 team than BP) walk for a draft pick, but make comments like your B when it comes to Phillips.

If we're OK with letting one or the other go for nothing due to money, why not Phillips?
    I see your point, but Choo leaving is beyond the Reds' control.
    I am sure the Reds will make Choo a reasonable offer, but Choo is going to shop himself and probably take the most $$, and I don't blame him.

Phillips is signed through next year at a reasonable price. There's no need or urgency to let Phillips go for nothing. If we're trying to win in 2014, we need Phillips or a very good return for Phillips in a trade.. Botching a Phillips trade could be a contributing factor in missing the playoffs next year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

5. Likes:

M2 (11-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Tom Verducci today discusses teams with the worst performance at particular positions last year, mostly based on offense.

The Blue Jays are listed for second base in the AL and the recommendation is a trade for Phillips.

Phillips in a deal for Bautista seems like a fairly obvious trade. Not sure who else would have to be involved.

I could see the Jays insisting on Bailey. I could see the Reds insisting on Jays taking Ludwick's contract. I could also see the Reds insisting on a top prospect and another decent MLB player.

I could see the Reds wanting Brett Lawrie who is the scrappy type player that might help energize the team, although not sure he is a better fit than Frazier. Wonder if Lawrie plays second. I could see the Blue Jays being interested in Hanigan.

Rasmus would seem a bit much because the Jays would be really cleaning house. Reds would want him if not signing Choo.

Point is there seems to be a good trade fit between these clubs starting off with Bautista and Phillips, as has been discussed before.
    Lawrie played a smattering of games at 2B last season (6, I think), and I see from his stats that he started out as second sacker in the minors, moving to 3rd in his third season.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I could see the Reds wanting Brett Lawrie who is the scrappy type player that might help energize the team, although not sure he is a better fit than Frazier.
    Agreed, though since Lawrie is Canadian the Blue Jays aren't likely to move him. I do remember the year he was drafted the Reds were rumored to like him.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I do remember the year he was drafted the Reds were rumored to like him.
    Yes, but remember that was still the scouting department that liked him, and they are now far removed from this decision. He was a very impressive 18 year old with the bat.

As far as his defense goes...he's pretty awful in the field from what I can tell. Anyone seen him play significant time?

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    As far as his defense goes...he's pretty awful in the field from what I can tell. Anyone seen him play significant time?
    He's pretty much universally considered a plus defender at 3B. I've seen a fair bit of him and he's got some range, quick reactions and a solid arm. The odd thing about Lawrie is his bat was supposed to be a sure thing and his defense was the question mark. It's turned out opposite that the past two seasons.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Something to ponder while we wait for news on the 40 man roster.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...ers-twins.html

White Sox GM Rick Hahn says that the intensity of trade talks has picked up in the past few days, according to Scott Merkin of MLB.com (Twitter links). "We well could have something in the next day or it could take through Orlando (Dec. 9-12) when the logjam sort of breaks,” Hahn said. More out of the AL Central..

https://twitter.com/DatDudeBP

#YeaBuddy... Flight to one of my fav cities today!!! Bout to see what #Chicago is talking about✈️ #Brrrr

Interesting coincidence

Probably all it is, I do not see a fit with the white sox.

What would the ChiSox be able to put on the table. Addison Reed? Alejandro De Aza? They don't have prospects.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Avisail Garcia is a decent left field prospect.

Other than that all I can think of is a 3 team trade.

Seems rather unlikely though, I am guessing Bphil is just going to chicago to chase tail.

They have a 23 year old SS that has great plate discipline in AAA, I wonder what he's about.

http://mlbfarm.com/player.php?player_id=543760

Marcus Semien

https://twitter.com/wilsonballglove

.@DatDudeBP is at Wilson HQ today! He's giving away a signed A2K DATDUDE GM to this week's #WilsonWednesday winner! pic.twitter.com/bkTMQtT1q3

Take it FWIW:

Jeff Ruby‏@TheRealJeffRuby2m
    @DatDudeBP Hey brutha. Take my word. U ain't being traded.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He's pretty much universally considered a plus defender at 3B. I've seen a fair bit of him and he's got some range, quick reactions and a solid arm. The odd thing about Lawrie is his bat was supposed to be a sure thing and his defense was the question mark. It's turned out opposite that the past two seasons.
    Sounds like another 3B we know...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    What would the ChiSox be able to put on the table. Addison Reed? Alejandro De Aza? They don't have prospects.
    Probably on an island, but I wouldn't mind Reed at closer if the plan is Chapman in the rotation.

Turn Off Ads?