Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Take it FWIW:

Jeff Ruby‏@TheRealJeffRuby2m
    @DatDudeBP Hey brutha. Take my word. U ain't being traded.
    Twitter is an Orwellian affront to our beloved language.

Can you please translate? Who isn't being traded? Is someone saying that to Phillips? Is it the other way around?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Likes:

Chip R (11-20-2013),DanielPlainview (11-20-2013),REDREAD (11-21-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Twitter is an Orwellian affront to our beloved language.

Can you please translate? Who isn't being traded? Is someone saying that to Phillips? Is it the other way around?

That would be arrogant restaurateur Jeff Ruby telling Brandon Phillips:

Take my word for it, you will not be traded.

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    That would be arrogant restaurateur Jeff Ruby telling Brandon Phillips:

Take my word for it, you will not be traded.
    Well. I was hoping Jeff Ruby isn't a writer, using phrases like "u ain't", but I can never be sure considering the things I see coming from John Fay.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

6. Likes:

PepperJack (11-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Well. I was hoping Jeff Ruby isn't a writer, using phrases like "u ain't", but I can never be sure considering the things I see coming from John Fay.
    In fairness, some people now use ain't as purposeful slang even though they realize it isn't correct grammar. Writing is my profession and I myself do it in informal situations where I can speak/write lightheartedly.

If I were writing a column, I most certainly wouldn't use "u ain't," but on Twitter or in a conversation, it's a different story depending on the audience and the context.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

8. Likes:

joshua (11-21-2013),Old school 1983 (11-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    In fairness, some people now use ain't as purposeful slang even though they realize it isn't correct grammar. Writing is my profession and I myself do it in informal situations where I can speak/write lightheartedly.

If I were writing a column, I most certainly wouldn't use "u ain't," but on Twitter or in a conversation, it's a different story depending on the audience and the context.
    Double Plus Good.

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    I wouldn't mind Reed at closer if the plan is Chapman in the rotation.
    That's just about the only deal the Reds could make with the ChiSox that would make sense. Beckham as a throw-in I suppose. I'd much rather move Phillips for an OF bat.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's just about the only deal the Reds could make with the ChiSox that would make sense. Beckham as a throw-in I suppose. I'd much rather move Phillips for an OF bat.
    Avisail Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Avisail Garcia
    I don't like him very much. Swings at everything and doesn't have a lot of power (especially for his size). He strikes me as a project, which is something the Reds don't need right now.

What about DeAza?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    What about DeAza?
    He's a Phillips-level bat. I'd rather keep the GG 2B and try to find something better in the OF.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He's a Phillips-level bat. I'd rather keep the GG 2B and try to find something better in the OF.
    Agreed Phillips is the better player, but DeAza has a better contract. I also notice he just showed some power this year...maybe a GABP boost and he's better than Phillips's bat. I'd use the saved money to try and upgrade Ludwick.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 11-20-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Some people would claim that since the Astros are going to lose 100 games regardless, why not trade him? (See Chris Johnson, Lowrie, Melancon).

I agree, it makes no sense to trade Altuve, but I thought the same thing about Johnson.
    My counter would be that Johnson was 27, Lowrie 28 at the time of their trades so you could reasonably say that they would be on the decline before the Astros were ready to compete. Melancon was traded FOR Lowrie, so that one was a bit of a head scratcher, but is a bullpen arm, which are replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Agreed Phillips is the better player, but DeAza has a better contract. I also notice he just showed some power this year...maybe a GABP boost and he's better than Phillips's bat. I'd use the saved money to try and upgrade Ludwick.
    U.S. Cellular is a launching pad. The GAB isn't going to give him anything extra.

And don't forget you've got to find a 2B that's not a cipher too. Maybe you get Beckham in that deal too, because you need the body.

Yet unless you find someone really exciting to upgrade Ludwick, that lineup looks like a step back from 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    My counter would be that Johnson was 27, Lowrie 28 at the time of their trades so you could reasonably say that they would be on the decline before the Astros were ready to compete. Melancon was traded FOR Lowrie, so that one was a bit of a head scratcher, but is a bullpen arm, which are replaceable.
    By that logic though, the entire Astro roster (including Altuve) is going to be on the decline (or in a nursing home) before they get competitive again.

At some point, a rebuilding club has to start taking things seriously and keep players instead of constantly trading them for prospects. As far as I know, there's never been a season where the entire AAA roster was promoted to the big league club and an instant contender was born.

Supposely, the Astros farm system is loaded. Supposedly, they have a ton of money. How about trying to keep some talent and at least get to .500 and be sort of relevant again. That's not a herculean task.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    By that logic though, the entire Astro roster (including Altuve) is going to be on the decline (or in a nursing home) before they get competitive again.

At some point, a rebuilding club has to start taking things seriously and keep players instead of constantly trading them for prospects. As far as I know, there's never been a season where the entire AAA roster was promoted to the big league club and an instant contender was born.

Supposely, the Astros farm system is loaded. Supposedly, they have a ton of money. How about trying to keep some talent and at least get to .500 and be sort of relevant again. That's not a herculean task.
    Altuve is 23, so I'm not sure I understand the logic

Turn Off Ads?