Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If they trade him because of money, why in the world did they sign him to that contract in the first place?
    A very good question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Likes:

CoachBombay (10-07-2013),Tom Servo (10-07-2013),WildcatFan (10-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Please be true

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    As far as I'm concerned most everyone is "available" if the price is right. But I fully expect to see a bounce back season from Phillips. This is really the first year we've seen a significant drop off in production. And prior to being plunked on the hand he was raking. If his "down year" is 100 rbi's, an over .700 ops and gold glove defense...I'll take it. Get him out of the cleanup slot (prefer him around the 7 slot) and he'll produce.
    You think he's going to drive in 100 hitting 7th? You can find guys who can play a good 2b and aren't very good hitters for a lot cheaper than $8mil/ year. If someone is dumb enough to take him, you gotta do it.

And that's changed, how?
    I would say it has changed now because of his mouth. Yes his production is down, but he blatantly called out the management, organization, and Votto a year after signed the contract. I bet that BP doesn't sit well with Bob now.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Much ado about nothing. Who isn't 'available"?

8. Likes:

BlackPete Ibold (10-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I would say it has changed now because of his mouth. Yes his production is down, but he blatantly called out the management, organization, and Votto a year after signed the contract. I bet that BP doesn't sit well with Bob now.
    Again, they knew Phillips was outspoken when they signed him. Nothing changed in that regard.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

It has nothing to do with anything Phillips has said.

It's also possible he's not even on the block.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

11. Likes:

Brutus (10-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    What others will see is a fan favorite with a dynamic personally that sells tickets and attracts viewers.

2B is a defensive first position, and even in decline, Phillips is one of, if not the best defensive 2B in the game. $50M for fours years if that is a bargain for most teams. It's a bargain for the Reds, but they need to fill some holes.

The Reds aren't trying to trade Phillips because of his contract, or because of his spat with CTrent. They are trying to trade Phillips because he will bring back parts the Reds need for next year. No way the Reds do a salary dump with Phillips.
    I agree that you don't move Phillips as a salary dump - you don't do that with any of our frontline talent. If you can bring top-line talent in return for and aging 2B with a sizeable salary then by all means do it. If you don't get what you want, just hold onto him. I think now is time to sell relatively high on BP if you can immprove the club. Selling him before he becomes a 10-5 vet is another reason I'd move him.

I don´t have any evidence obviously but I do believe that his style is more loved by some fans than it is in the clubhouse with his teammates...

his style of talking and his character is different to most of the guys on the team.. votto is a professional and said to the media that bp´s comments were not a big deal for him, but I doubt that bp and votto have a good relationship

bp had some bad comments in the past, his offence is on a steady decline since allstar break 2012 and his d-range went down aswell...

=> performance went down, he had more problems off the field and as most guys said, there were clubhouse issue´s (=> getting rid of some players and some big names should make the other players think)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    Not if it means the difference between winning and losing. Essentially, the Reds could swap contracts with BP and Choo (paying choo a little more on average/year). You get a whole lot more value out of Choo's contract there than you do with BPs.
    If not signing BP and p[assing on BA means Choo signs, then bye-bye guys.

I wish we could trade that fat beat reporter instead.

BP is a phenomenal defensive 2nd baseman, and one of my favorite Reds.

I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

16. Likes:

bounty37h (10-08-2013),REDREAD (10-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    That doesn't mean anything to the average fan. All they care about is that he produces and he signs autographs and interacts with fans on Twitter. I'm not saying BP is irreplaceable but the Reds could do with more players who interacts with the fans like he does. Evidently the advertisers think he can hock their products pretty well. Personality wise, this club would be awful boring without Brandon.

I'll guarantee you that if BP is still around at RedsFest, he'll be one of the most popular - if not the most - popular players there. I certainly hope the Reds don't go back to their way of getting rid of outspoken players. And Brandon is not outspoken in the way that players used to be outspoken like Dick Allen or Bill Lee or Reggie Jackson or even Hanley Ramirez who basically went into Operation Shutdown till he could get out of Miami. Brandon is pretty vanilla compared to those guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

18. Likes:

bounty37h (10-08-2013),jimbo (10-07-2013),M2 (10-07-2013),REDREAD (10-08-2013)

The biggest question remains, though: Are the Reds looking to replace BP with a player of similar salary but different skills (like an Ethier), or are the Reds looking to dump BP for B or C level prospects and reinvest that money in Choo or extending Latos/Bailey...

I'd have to assume that the first option would be easier to achieve -- I think the Dodgers would do that in a heartbeat, but Reds would need a salary offset like adding Ludwick or getting $$ back.

As for the second option, it would all come down to how the Reds rate other clubs not top prospects and just how successful the Reds would be reinvesting that money. Recall, Joey Votto was once well down our prospect list, with guys like Bruce and others held in more regard by other teams. Maybe Walt has some guys he feels that can help restock the organization that are undervalued by their current clubs.

But option 2 would certainly create the most controversy, and risk. Fans would be rightfully upset at a pure salary dump with no corresponding move like signing Choo.

IF BP does get traded, Walt will be playing serious big boy poker.... After going "All in" in 2013, I don't think the Reds can sit out or even bet less in 2014. This core group (Votto, Bruce, Cueto, Latos IMO) does have an expiration date, nobody wants to waste a year b/c their GM got shutout in the offseason...

20. Likes:

mth123 (10-08-2013)

I wouldn't mind trading Phillips if we can get some quality players. Also surprised no one has mentioned Henry Rodriguez taking BP's place for a little while. He hit slightly above BP in avg and OBPs in Louisville.

Brandon is not outspoken in the way that players used to be outspoken like Dick Allen or Bill Lee or Reggie Jackson or even Hanley Ramirez who basically went into Operation Shutdown till he could get out of Miami. Brandon is pretty vanilla compared to those guys.
    So is his production

23. Likes:

Red in Chicago (10-07-2013)

Turn Off Ads?