Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

I really like Phillips and would hate to see him go but the truth is he's got a big mouth, he makes a bunch of money, his offense is very average and he's terrible on the bases. I also get the feeling that a couple of the other guys that the Reds are heavily invested in might not mind seeing BP hit the road. It just seems like Phillips best friend(who I see Brandon chatting it up with on TV during games) is always the newest guy in the club house that hasn't really got a chance to know BP or Todd Frazier who is probably just too nice to tell him to shut up.

Dumping some money is probably the only way the Reds can afford Choo and if this is the first part of that plan then I'm all for it.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I would not be upset if he was traded.

Not that it matters...

Honestly, the more I contemplate the supposed reasons the Reds are shopping Phillips the more it reminds me of the genius idea back in 1992 to trade Paul O'Neill.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-07-2013),REDREAD (10-08-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Honestly, the more I contemplate the supposed reasons the Reds are shopping Phillips the more it reminds me of the genius idea back in 1992 to trade Paul O'Neill.
    I don't see it. O'Neill was several years younger.

Looking at O'Neill's '93-'98 stats as a Yankee is enough to make you cry. Six great years, better than any as a Red.

I would get out from datdude's contract - assuming the Reds are at the payroll breaking point. The risk is Walt would have to plug some other holes and also one at 2B for next season, but I'd want every dollar available plowed into keeping the rotation together past 2014.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

What free agent SS are out there? Would moving Cozart to 2nd and getting another SS be something that would work?

Just thinking out loud really.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    Matt Kemp doesn't need a new scenery he needs to be healthy.
    I agree but that wasn't the point I was making. It doesn't change the fact the Dodgers have a logjam and might be willing to make a move if they believe in Puig.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The SABRmetrically inclined part of me says that BP is a net negative when you figure his offensive production versus his contract and if anyone would take his contract we should do it and not worry about what we get back. I do think there's still a handful of old school baseball guys who think he's an above average baseball player who we may be able to get something of value from. Bottom line is i wouldn't pay him 8-10 mil per year to play for someone else but I'd do 3-4 mil a year all day long. It's not about who we can replace him with, it's about getting relief from the worst contract on our books.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    I don't see it. O'Neill was several years younger.

Looking at O'Neill's '93-'98 stats as a Yankee is enough to make you cry. Six great years, better than any as a Red.

I would get out from datdude's contract - assuming the Reds are at the payroll breaking point. The risk is Walt would have to plug some other holes and also one at 2B for next season, but I'd want every dollar available plowed into keeping the rotation together past 2014.
    I don't expect Phillips to go on a run like O'Neill had with the Yankees. Yet trading O'Neill because the team didn't like his attitude was moronic and it did nothing to benefit the Reds moving forward. If the plan is "let's get rid of Brandon Phillips" I actually think it would hurt the Reds more than dealing O'Neill. The Reds were able to pick up corner OFs back in the '90s. I'm highly skeptical they'll come all that close to replacing Phillips at 2B.

If the Reds find a really great trade for Phillips, then - sure - make it. Yet making a quality player disappear for the sake of making him disappear strikes me as moody and stupid, just like when the Reds dealt away O'Neill.

11. Likes:

Chip R (10-07-2013)

So if payroll is an issue in terms of trying a sign a Choo/Latos/Bailey type guy...

If payroll must be trimmed, other than BP, how do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    It's not about who we can replace him with, it's about getting relief from the worst contract on our books.
    That's going to be cold comfort if the Reds are scuffling along with some Chris Getz clone next season.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So if payroll is an issue in terms of trying a sign a Choo/Latos/Bailey type guy...

If payroll must be trimmed, other than BP, how do you do it?
    If it comes down to it, you can cut Ludwick and give Hamilton his outfield spot. You'll lose the 4.5 million buyout option since its deferred, but you were going to lose that anyway. It'll be awfully tempting for the Reds if they need that money.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    If it comes down to it, you can cut Ludwick and give Hamilton his outfield spot. You'll lose the 4.5 million buyout option since its deferred, but you were going to lose that anyway. It'll be awfully tempting for the Reds if they need that money.
    What money would that save, if any, compared to the dollars saved if you could unload BP?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I don't expect Phillips to go on a run like O'Neill had with the Yankees. Yet trading O'Neill because the team didn't like his attitude was moronic and it did nothing to benefit the Reds moving forward. If the plan is "let's get rid of Brandon Phillips" I actually think it would hurt the Reds more than dealing O'Neill. The Reds were able to pick up corner OFs back in the '90s. I'm highly skeptical they'll come all that close to replacing Phillips at 2B.

If the Reds find a really great trade for Phillips, then - sure - make it. Yet making a quality player disappear for the sake of making him disappear strikes me as moody and stupid, just like when the Reds dealt away O'Neill.
    Funny, the Reds are looking for guys with O'Neill's attitude now.

Paul was not a laid back dude.
    sorry we're boring

17. Likes:

marcshoe (10-07-2013),REDREAD (10-08-2013)

Yet making a quality player disappear for the sake of making him disappear strikes me as moody and stupid, just like when the Reds dealt away O'Neill.
    The Reds were 11th in run creation and 9th in OPS+ from the second base position last year. Even with his plus glove I don't believe he qualifies as a "quality" player. His glove doesn't make up for being in the bottom third of the league offensively.

For anyone who thinks BP is a "quality" player do you remember how old Scott Rolen looked at 36. Rolen was a borderline HOF player who couldn't hit anymore, what will BP look like when he inevitably regresses?
    Last edited by UC_Ken; 10-07-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    What money would that save, if any, compared to the dollars saved if you could unload BP?
    7.5 million for next year minus the 4.5 million buyout I imagine would be divided up into 2014 and 2015, so about 5 million.

Brandon-it's all straight dollar amounts for each individual year with very little deferred money. The only deferred might be the bonus he gets each year for making the All-Star team. You do have to factor in with Brandon that the team asking you to make the trade might want you to kick in some of the money to make the deal.

Turn Off Ads?