Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 92

Thread: "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    5,951

    "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

    http://deadspin.com/you-cant-neutral...not-1442060717

    origionally published by Baseball Prospectus.


    REALLY GOOD ARTICLE. Below is the jest of the article about Dusty and his decision making concerning line up's etc.


    That brings me to Birnbaum’s point: “You gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.”
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

  2. Likes:

    mbgrayson (10-08-2013), RedsManRick (10-09-2013), redsrule2500 (10-08-2013), WMR (10-08-2013)

  3. #2
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,556

    Re: "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

    Well, I can't neutralize the stupidity of that blog. The nicest thing I can say about it is that it is one of the biggest steaming piles of crap I have ever read.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  4. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (10-08-2013), jimbo (10-08-2013), westofyou (10-08-2013)

  5. #3
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,433

    Re: "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Well, I can't neutralize the stupidity of that blog. The nicest thing I can say about it is that it is one of the biggest steaming piles of crap I have ever read.
    If there is one thing that I can say about baseball prospectus, it is that they aren't stupid.

  6. Likes:

    Homer Bailey (10-08-2013), redsrule2500 (10-08-2013), SpanishArmada (10-08-2013), TOBTTReds (10-08-2013), WMR (10-08-2013)

  7. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    913

    Re: "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

    Remember, the website determines the article title, not the writer. I think it would come across a little better with a different name. The name of the article on Baseball Prospectus is "Overthinking It: Dusty Baker and the Modern Manager's Survival Manual." Deadspin obviously wanted to take the quote a little out of context by tying "you can't neutralize stupid" to Baker. The article even states Dusty isn't stupid, but states some things he did were not smart.

  8. Likes:

    Always Red (10-08-2013), Homer Bailey (10-08-2013), RedEye (10-08-2013), The Operator (10-08-2013), TOBTTReds (10-08-2013), westofyou (10-08-2013)

  9. #5
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,556

    Re: "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

    Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    Remember, the website determines the article title, not the writer. I think it would come across a little better with a different name. The name of the article on Baseball Prospectus is "Overthinking It: Dusty Baker and the Modern Manager's Survival Manual." Deadspin obviously wanted to take the quote a little out of context by tying "you can't neutralize stupid" to Baker. The article even states Dusty isn't stupid, but states some things he did were not smart.
    He said he decisions were stupid. Here's the entire quote:

    Dusty Baker isn’t stupid. But I don’t think it’s unfair to say that some things he did weren’t smart. As Birnbaum said at the Sloan Conference, “One of the things that analytics can do really well is filter out the really stupid decisions.”.
    He also said hiring Dusty as your manager is like hiring your mother.

    He claims that Dusty's managerial decisions are the dumbest ones that could be made. That they are the equivalent of having someone with no knowledge of baseball making them. He basically is claiming that they are like batting the pitcher cleanup, or having Corky Miller play SS, or ordering a bunt with two outs, no one on base in a 10-2 game. The decisions that Baker makes that he's complaining about are basically the other side of near 50-50 coin flip, and any decent stat guy knows this.

    He claims that Baker's decisions are much dumber than the decisions an average manager makes. That's bull. Baker's decisions epitomize the decisions of an average manager. He plays strictly by the old book. He doesn't do anything crazy or unpredictable, (which I find to be Baker's biggest fault) and yet this guy is writing like that's all Baker does. That's just plain stupid.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  10. Likes:

    jimbo (10-08-2013), mdccclxix (10-08-2013), RedFanAlways1966 (10-08-2013)

  11. #6
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

    Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    The article even states Dusty isn't stupid, but states some things he did were not smart.
    Potato - Pota-toe

    ...

    Add enough of those "not very smart" things together and what do you get?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  12. #7
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,828

    Re: "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Well, I can't neutralize the stupidity of that blog. The nicest thing I can say about it is that it is one of the biggest steaming piles of crap I have ever read.
    It's Baseball Prospectus. They've jumped more sharks than Fonzie. They were good several years ago. Now they are just pompous.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  13. Likes:

    757690 (10-08-2013), Crumbley (10-09-2013), westofyou (10-09-2013)

  14. #8
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,818

    Re: "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

    The writer also makes a huge assumption based on anecdotal evidence - the antithesis of sabremetrical analysis. That is - that stupid decisions cost a team far more wins than the two or three that a smart manager can gain. Yet he offers no analysis or studies that back this up - just his gut. The fact is that the huge amount of random variable action in a baseball game may well mask most "stupid" maneuvers. Quite possible an analysis done by numbers would show little real difference. Then again - it might show a significant negative edge. But if you are such a sabre guy - SHOW US THE NUMBERS!
    No - I am not from State Farm!

  15. Likes:

    757690 (10-08-2013), M2 (10-08-2013), OGB (10-08-2013), RedFanAlways1966 (10-08-2013), Tommyjohn25 (10-08-2013)

  16. #9
    I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    1,102

    Re: "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    The writer also makes a huge assumption based on anecdotal evidence - the antithesis of sabremetrical analysis. That is - that stupid decisions cost a team far more wins than the two or three that a smart manager can gain. Yet he offers no analysis or studies that back this up - just his gut. The fact is that the huge amount of random variable action in a baseball game may well mask most "stupid" maneuvers. Quite possible an analysis done by numbers would show little real difference. Then again - it might show a significant negative edge. But if you are such a sabre guy - SHOW US THE NUMBERS!
    yup --- I kept waiting for his evidence --- but my gut agrees with the opinion - numbers be danged
    The older I get - the better I was

    and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

  17. Likes:

    mbgrayson (10-08-2013)

  18. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    241

    Re: "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    yup --- I kept waiting for his evidence --- but my gut agrees with the opinion - numbers be danged
    I don't think it takes much to realize that bad decisions by a manager could have much more of an affect than good.

    Give me a job as a manager with the goal of losing 162 games, just based on my decision's - I'm pretty sure I could.

    Give me a job where I try to win 162 games, I wouldn't come close.

    Basically at the end of the season, it would be like a linear optimization problem, based on the players if you made a correct decision every possible time, you would still have a maximum games you could win as a manager, though obviously that's unknown.

  19. #11
    Custodial Engineer Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    336

    Re: "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Yet he offers no analysis or studies that back this up - just his gut.

    "That's where the truth lies, right down here in the gut. Do you know you have more nerve endings in your gut than you have in your head? You can look it up. Now, I know some of you are going to say, "I did look it up, and that's not true." That's 'cause you looked it up in a book. Next time, look it up in your gut. I did. My gut tells me that's how our nervous system works."
    "And why do false truths persist, getting passed down the decades as if they were fact? It comes back to the same point: People believe things that are wrong because, individually, people rarely investigate their own beliefs, particularly when what they believe makes sense intuitively. Even more so when those around them agree with them." -K.F.

  20. Likes:

    757690 (10-08-2013), paintmered (10-08-2013), Razor Shines (10-08-2013), RedlegJake (10-08-2013), texasdave (10-08-2013), The Operator (10-08-2013), Tommyjohn25 (10-08-2013)

  21. #12

    Re: "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    "That's where the truth lies, right down here in the gut. Do you know you have more nerve endings in your gut than you have in your head? You can look it up. Now, I know some of you are going to say, "I did look it up, and that's not true." That's 'cause you looked it up in a book. Next time, look it up in your gut. I did. My gut tells me that's how our nervous system works."
    Funny is not allowed here.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

  22. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    378

    Re: "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

    Baker was really dealin" he was big time a gastroenteric neurologist

  23. #14
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,061

    Re: "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

    Quote Originally Posted by Hubba View Post
    Funny is not allowed here.
    I have a great sense of humor, and enjoy laughing more than just about anything else in the world. (just about )

    Deadspin stealing an article from BP, and renaming it "You Can't Neutralize Stupid: Why Dusty Baker Might Not Get Another Job" places the words "stupid" and "Dusty Baker" in the same sentence on purpose. As a weak defense, the supporters of Deadspin's point say that the author said in the body of the article that Dusty wasn't stupid.

    Well, he also said in the title that Dusty was stupid, and especially with a site like Deadspin, sometimes titles are all that some low information folks read.

    I don't think it's funny to kick a person while they're down, after they've been fired, and I'm one that does agree with the decision to fire Dusty Baker. The moniker "Stupid" goes past catharsis.

    Redszone's better than this, is what I think some people are trying to say on this thread, including me. I hope it is. I think it still is. I'm not holier-than-thou, I'm not a prude, or the thread police. This is a great site, and I don't want to see it regress. I've found myself not coming here as often the last few days, waiting for the "catharsis" of blaming everything bad that has happened to the Reds over the last 6 years on Baker. Because it's boring and tiresome.

  24. Likes:

    Big Klu (10-10-2013), Deepred05 (10-10-2013), dubc47834 (10-08-2013), Ga_Red (10-09-2013), New Fever (10-08-2013), redsmetz (10-08-2013), Roy Tucker (10-08-2013), wlf WV (10-10-2013)

  25. #15
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,163

    Re: "You can't Neutralize Stupid." an article on Dusty Baker

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    The writer also makes a huge assumption based on anecdotal evidence - the antithesis of sabremetrical analysis. That is - that stupid decisions cost a team far more wins than the two or three that a smart manager can gain. Yet he offers no analysis or studies that back this up - just his gut. The fact is that the huge amount of random variable action in a baseball game may well mask most "stupid" maneuvers. Quite possible an analysis done by numbers would show little real difference. Then again - it might show a significant negative edge. But if you are such a sabre guy - SHOW US THE NUMBERS!
    I had the same reaction. The problem is the evidence isn't there. The Reds scored roughly what they should have scored given the performance of their players this season. In fact, they were slightly above average when it comes to offensive efficiency. So, as crazy as it was to hit Cozart 2nd, the Reds didn't actually pay a price. The reality that lineups largely don't matter seems to have neutralized managerial stupidity.

    Last season there was a strong argument that poor lineup construction indeed cost the Reds runs (when the team boasted the least efficient offense in MLB). However, thanks to some luck distribution, the Reds sauntered to 1st place and no one complained overly much. Apparently that can neutralize stupid too.

    And what made the offense more efficient wasn't getting everything right down to the last detail. It was acquiring Shin-Soo Choo and hitting him somewhere in front of Votto, who in turn was hitting somewhere in front of Bruce. Baker did the obvious. It generally worked. Neither smart nor stupid had much bearing on how things shook out.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  26. Likes:

    BRM13 (10-09-2013), RedlegJake (10-08-2013), wlf WV (10-10-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25