Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Astros interested in AAA club near Houston

Astros interested in AAA club near Houston

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/hou/...&vkey=news_hou

This team would be located just outside of The Woodlands, which is just north of the city. I am not 100% certain that the Houston area can support two AAA teams.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (10-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros interested in AAA club near Houston

And.... I didn't know that the Astros and Jays were going to share a Spring Training facility in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/hou/...&vkey=news_hou

This team would be located just outside of The Woodlands, which is just north of the city. I am not 100% certain that the Houston area can support two AAA teams.
    Actually they wouldn't have to. The team directly in Houston is really a AA team.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

As the two obvious jokes have already been used, I must resort to option 3:

Shouldn't the Astros be concerned about hurting their tv ratings if their viewer goes to watch the AAA team instead?

In all seriousness, the article says the stadium site is 41 miles from the Astro's stadium. This is not that different from Boston and Pawtucket which has worked out pretty well. The trend for siting the AAA team near the MLB home is definitely growing.
    Last edited by klw; 10-09-2013 at 08:50 AM.

7. Likes:

camisadelgolf (10-09-2013)

In an attempt to save money, Houston wants to reduce costs anytime they PROMOTE a player from their Houston affiliation to their Woodlands affiliation.

Jonathan Singleton
    Carlos Correa
    Mark Appel
    George Springer
    Delino DeShields Jr
    Jarrad Cosart
    Rio Ruiz
    Lance McCullers
    Jonathan Villar
    Nolan Fontana
    Domingo Santana
    Nick Tropeano
    Mike Foltynewicz
    Jason Castro
    Vincent Velasquez
    Josh Hader
    Asher Wojciechowski
    Kyle Smith
    Preston Tucker
    Max Stassi
    Teoscar Hernandez

That's just a taste of the Houston farm system. The worst on the list would make a lot of team's top 5. That doesn't include Jose Cisnero, Jordan Lyles, Brad Peacock, Matt Dominguez, Marwin Gonzalez, Rbbie Grossman, LJ Hoes, all under 25 and all on the ML roster already.

Go ahead and laugh. The jokes are going to end real soon. 2015 is going to be a lot better and 2016 they are going to be kicking at the door in the AL West - plus they'll have all the cash necessary to get whatever free agents they need to fill holes and provide leadership.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

-The Insider-

For those who have never been, the Palm Beach Gardens/Jupiter area is beautiful. I absolutely love it down there.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Jonathan Singleton
    Carlos Correa
    Mark Appel
    George Springer
    Delino DeShields Jr
    Jarrad Cosart
    Rio Ruiz
    Lance McCullers
    Jonathan Villar
    Nolan Fontana
    Domingo Santana
    Nick Tropeano
    Mike Foltynewicz
    Jason Castro
    Vincent Velasquez
    Josh Hader
    Asher Wojciechowski
    Kyle Smith
    Preston Tucker
    Max Stassi
    Teoscar Hernandez

That's just a taste of the Houston farm system. The worst on the list would make a lot of team's top 5. That doesn't include Jose Cisnero, Jordan Lyles, Brad Peacock, Matt Dominguez, Marwin Gonzalez, Rbbie Grossman, LJ Hoes, all under 25 and all on the ML roster already.

Go ahead and laugh. The jokes are going to end real soon. 2015 is going to be a lot better and 2016 they are going to be kicking at the door in the AL West - plus they'll have all the cash necessary to get whatever free agents they need to fill holes and provide leadership.
    Plus they've got the top overall pick (likely Carlos Rodon) and the accompanying draft budget... not all prospects pan out but you've got to like Houston's chances given the sheer number of high end prospects that they have in their system.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Jonathan Singleton
    Carlos Correa
    Mark Appel
    George Springer
    Delino DeShields Jr
    Jarrad Cosart
    Rio Ruiz
    Lance McCullers
    Jonathan Villar
    Nolan Fontana
    Domingo Santana
    Nick Tropeano
    Mike Foltynewicz
    Jason Castro
    Vincent Velasquez
    Josh Hader
    Asher Wojciechowski
    Kyle Smith
    Preston Tucker
    Max Stassi
    Teoscar Hernandez

They better hope it takes less time than it did Pittsburgh for their list to actually produce major league fruit. They had 3 or 4 of these lists.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

13. Likes:

REDREAD (10-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    They better hope it takes less time than it did Pittsburgh for their list to actually produce major league fruit. They had 3 or 4 of these lists.
    Pittsburgh's isn't done producing yet...but I don't think it was ever this deep. Houston has amassed theirs from draft and from a ton of trades for prospects. KC is another franchise with a deep system that has failed to live up to its ranking. I can see the skepticism, but I really like this system Houston has and the results have been pretty good so far. Jason Castro, Cosart, Grossman, Gonzalez, Peacock, all have shown flashes of real talent in the majors already. And unlike KC and Pittsburgh Houston will have the pocketbook to back it up when they're ready.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-11-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    And.... I didn't know that the Astros and Jays were going to share a Spring Training facility in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    This is not yet a done deal. Would be cool to have four spring training teams in North Palm Beach county. Houston does seem like an oddball to have spring training in Florida vs. Arizona. Toronto, of course, makes perfect sense since half of Ontario lives in Palm Beach/Broward in the winter months.

The Cards/Marlins/Mets are really on a spring training island these days in SE Florida with the Orioles and Dodgers having recently packed their bags.

I Googled Mapped it and it's almost identical mileage from Houston to either Phoenix or Palm Gardens, so not too weird.

Toronto's stadium in Dunedin is just terrible. What I'd like to see is to get Nationals (who are not happy in Viera together with Milwaukee, with a bad complex in Phoenix (Maryvale) to find a way to share a complex in Florida.

That would make both locations have an even number of teams again.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Houston is run by more shrewd individuals than those who have run the Royals ever since John Schuerholz left. You never know with prospects, but short of an earthquake or something, a bunch of those guys are as close to sure things as you can get. If I were forced to bet my house on who is going to win the AL West in 2018, I'd pick the Astros.
    Stick to your guns.

The other big difference between Houston and KC/Pittsburgh is that Houston is a huge city (4th largest Metro area right?) and they've proven an ability to draw fans to winning baseball.

Pittsburgh truly has a tight window of opportunity because they're not going to get a new TV deal until 2020, and they're somewhat capacity limited in their attendance. Their highest regular season attendance was 39,514 which wouldn't count as a sellout at GABP.

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib...#axzz2iMGLpMVC
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?