Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who do you want to be the next manager?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bryan Price

80 50.63%
  • Joe Morgan

1 0.63%
  • Paul O'Neill

11 6.96%
  • Jim Riggleman

3 1.90%
  • David Bell

1 0.63%
  • Dale Svuem

0 0%
  • Barry Larkin

9 5.70%
  • Chris Speier

1 0.63%
  • Chris Welsh

1 0.63%
  • Jeff Brantley

1 0.63%
  • Scott Rolen

8 5.06%
  • Jim Tracy

2 1.27%
  • Davey Johnson

4 2.53%
  • Jerry Manuel

1 0.63%
  • Ozzie Guillen

4 2.53%
  • Pete Mackanin

8 5.06%
  • Rick Sweet

0 0%
  • Other (specify)

23 14.56%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you WANT as the next manager?

Re: Who do you WANT as the next manager?

Price is the most obvious candidate, and the work he's done with our pitching staff is spot on terrific. I'd be happy with him.

On a sidenote, I'd love to also get Rolen back in the organization in some capacity. In what role, I'm not sure, but any role is likely going to be better for the Reds than no role at all.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-10-2013), George Anderson (10-10-2013), mole44 (10-10-2013), SirFelixCat (10-10-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Pete Mack
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

5. Likes:

MartyFan (10-11-2013)

I voted for Price. I would also be happy with Davy Johnson returning as a bridge to Corky.

Pete Rose. He wasn't a terrible manager and can you imagine the ticket sales?

As long as he doesn't try to bat himself lead-off again to pile on a few more hits.
    "And why do false truths persist, getting passed down the decades as if they were fact? It comes back to the same point: People believe things that are wrong because, individually, people rarely investigate their own beliefs, particularly when what they believe makes sense intuitively. Even more so when those around them agree with them." -K.F.

8. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (10-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

As long as he doesn't try to bat himself lead-off again to pile on a few more hits.
    No thanks. Actually, Pete wasn't that great of a manager. Kind of like the extreme Dusty. If the choice is Pete or Dusty, I'm staying with Baker.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I voted for O'neill. Always was shocked and amazed at the way he not only handled the pressure in New York , but actually thrived on it. Big decision but the guy has always impressed me.

What Bronson said about Price is very persuasive, but i think this team needs someone from the outside.
    O'Neill is intriguing. Was a hot headed player who did not do well with a hot headed manager, but thrived under calm, cool Torre. He's seen both sides of it, and know what works. Obviously around a lot of winning teams and personalities. I think he lives in Cincinnati still, when not working.

I think I prefer Price at this point, but wouldn't be upset with O'Neill.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am a big fan of Anna Kendrick.
    Maybe the Reds could get her to sing the National Anthem.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Price or Oquendo.

Either way, I'm hoping there's a major improvement at hitting coach.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Maybe the Reds could get her to sing the National Anthem.
    I would buy tickets for that game.

From that list I'll take Price but I would like to know if there are any legit candidates with ties to the Oakland organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

I know you're joking, but Pete was horrible at managing the bullpen.
    Ron Robinson and Murphy both said Pete shortened their careers by constantly warming them up in just about every game (multiple times)

Pete was a good motivator though. The way he turned around that totally listless team to a 2nd place team was impressive. Lot's of players (Concepcion, Oester, etc) played a lot better when Pete arrived.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I know you're joking, but Pete was horrible at managing the bullpen.
    Ron Robinson and Murphy both said Pete shortened their careers by constantly warming them up in just about every game (multiple times)
    Whitey Herzog said pretty much the same thing in his last book but didn't say anything about how he shortened Murphy's and Robinson's careers. He said that Pete would warm up two guys at the same time who pitched with the same arm instead of one of each. He also mentioned the constant warming up and sitting down.

Pete was a good motivator though. The way he turned around that totally listless team to a 2nd place team was impressive. Lot's of players (Concepcion, Oester, etc) played a lot better when Pete arrived.
    Dave Parker having an MVP year helped too but you're right, he did something to turn that team around.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I won't have any problem with Price, but the main reason it seems as Dusty was fired is "culture." It would seem to me they want to bring in life into the clubhouse because lets be honest this team seemed to be pretty dead all year. I'm just not sure if firing Dusty and promoting a guy who was already here makes sense.

I'm still going Scott Hatteberg. I did like the little I saw from Mackanin when he was the interm guy and he has some life to him. I wouldn't be against him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

18. Likes:

MartyFan (10-11-2013), REDREAD (10-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I won't have any problem with Price, but the main reason it seems as Dusty was fired is "culture." It would seem to me they want to bring in life into the clubhouse because lets be honest this team seemed to be pretty dead all year. I'm just not sure if firing Dusty and promoting a guy who was already here makes sense.
    Perhaps he has different ideas on how to run a team than Dusty did.

I'm still going Scott Hatteberg. I did like the little I saw from Mackanin when he was the interm guy and he has some life to him. I wouldn't be against him.
    IIRC, Mackanin re-signed with Philly. Of course if the Reds wanted him they could - and probably would - let him out of his deal.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

While I get your point, I have the feeling that Price is very much the anti-Dusty. He's not a "Dusty guy", so there's nothing that would make me think he wouldn't have his own individual style.

What I do fear is that with his lack of experience as a manager, he would defer to "by the book", rather than taking his own analytical approach. But the Arroyo and Lecure quotes really make me think that this is our guy. And not to mention the affect he's had on the pitching staff.

Turn Off Ads?