Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I give up, I'm rooting for the Cards

Re: I give up, I'm rooting for the Cards

Can't do it....can't pull for the Cardinals. It's kinda like the Fonz trying to say "I'm sorry"....he tries but just can't get the words out of his mouth.

Pulling for the Tigers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    Can't do it....can't pull for the Cardinals. It's kinda like the Fonz trying to say "I'm sorry"....he tries but just can't get the words out of his mouth.

Pulling for the Tigers.
    I find it hard to really get into any game other than Reds. I can watch it and enjoy the game, but I am not invested into to it (if that makes any sense). I guess if I had to choose between the remaining teams, I guess it would be Tigers but I am not to found of the team up north lol

Quote Originally Posted by Reds&BuckeyeGuy View Post
    Just make sure you don't come back on these threads after Reds beat the cards to win the WS (I truly believe that this team will win ONE before I die).
    That would be a strange WS matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by redman123 View Post
    I know it sounds crazy, but I'm tired of watching the Reds continue to be the poster for failure and watching a great and successful organization a few hundred miles West continue to win.
    If nothing else I don't want to see the Dodgers buy a championship and Boston fans don't deserve anything but Aaron Hernandez.
    I know a lot of you have simply stopped watching, but I'm a fan of the sport so I'll have to cheer on the pedigree of success in St. Louis
    What about the Tigers? I'm cheering for them.

Once the Reds (and Pirates) were gone, I'm (gulp) pulling for the Cards vs. the Dodgers. You know, that loyalty to the NL Central? I have to admit though, I simply hate all the showboating and crap from the Dodgers. I think sometimes, I'm watching the WBC all over again. The Cards seem to play with more class and baseball etiquette, imo. (God! I never thought I would ever type those words!!) Yep, I'm "old school".

But, I'm pulling for Detroit in the AL and WS, if they get there. That city needs all the positive vibes it can get. NL Central loyalty can only go so far.

topsyt

Me, after some serious soul searching, came to the conclusion that I don't hate the Cardinals but I sure as hell am jealous of them.

8. Likes:

Old NDN (10-21-2013)

I don't think I could ever root for the Cards. I have family from St. Louis who are big fans, and when it comes to baseball, we just don't even talk about it anymore. They hate the Reds more than anything.

the concept is actually making me feel nauseous. Which is like vomit coming up the mouth. Not sure how to respond. But this comes to mind....

"You can try to be a man."

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...sVCIHisesbPzxg
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

I honestly donīt care who will win it all (even though i am rooting for the Tigers a bit). I just want to see good baseball. And these LCS games were pretty darn sweet to watch for someone neutral.

But i would like to go a bit off-topic here. How come that there is such a rivalry thing between the Reds and the Cards? Even though i follow the Reds now for over 20 years it sometimes is a bit hard to understand that for someone who lives in Europe. You donīt have the insight in (what might be) local stuff.

The thing is: I do not like "inherited" hatred. Just because i am a fan of team X i have to hate team Y? I do not have a personal issue with the Cardinals. I think they are a very, very well run organisation. For example i am a huge Packers fan. But i donīt have an issue with the Bears. Why should i? Just because afaik there has never been more matches in NFL history between two teams? I am also rooting die hard for the Boston Bruins. Do i need to hate the Leafs now? Why? Same thing here: They did not do anything to p me off. Off course i have a certain german soccer club that i despise from the bottom of my heart since i was a little kid (whenever they are shown on tv i switch the channel, whenever there is an article of that club in a sports magazine i flip the page, i have not spoken out the name that shall not be spoken in years ... and so on). So i know what rivalry means.

But the one between our Reds and the Cards i do not understand. I have tried to google that many times but never came up with a satisfying answer. So if someone could explain that to me why there is a rivalry between the two teams i would be very thankful.

Cheers
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarftree View Post
    But i would like to go a bit off-topic here. How come that there is such a rivalry thing between the Reds and the Cards? Even though i follow the Reds now for over 20 years it sometimes is a bit hard to understand that for someone who lives in Europe. You donīt have the insight in (what might be) local stuff.
    My multi-part theory.

One: The two are division rivals, so there is naturally going to be some rival brewed from division competitiveness.

Two: Dusty Baker and Tony LaRussa. These two had some bad blood between them and carried it with them.

Three: Loud Mouths on both Teams. Carpenter and Phillips.

Four: 2010 Brawl. Things just haven't healed since then. Molina and BP starting the scuffle. Cueto ending another players career.

My guess is once you get the personalities out of the way (Carpenter, Phillips, Larussa, Baker) things will go to a friendlier rivalry. Carpenter/Larussa retired, Baker fired... I don't really see Phillips carrying the hatred torch as even his language has softened on the Cardinals.

Matheny has already shown that he runs the team differently. That will go a long way into helping Reds fans focus on less trivial things and the love for the Reds.

My take on the intense rivalry the Reds have with the Cardinals starts back in 2010. The Cardinals had been losing some very close games, not necessarily to just the Reds, and LaRussa was badmouthing and complaining to the press about their bad breaks. I believe i remember reading a articile where they even accused the Brewers of cheating after losing a game to them. Well, LaRussa brought his act to GABP and accused the Reds pitchers of using slipery balls, what followed could easily be predicted ,knowing Phillips likes to pull the tail on the Tiger now an again, Sometime in August 2010 Phillips let it be known he had enought of the Cardinals complaining and accusations, and that they should man up, well that lit the fuse. The next day, when Phillips came to bat,he tapped the shin guards of Molina, as a friendly hello, according to Phillips. Well that started a real fight, I sure you can look it up on the internet. And since that day it been tit for tat between the two teams , Chapman lets a 100 mph fastball get away from him and nearly hits a Cardinal, the next game one of the Reds will take one in the back, and its been that way ever since that August game. I wouldn't say I hate the Redbirds, but I sure harbor a very strong dislike for most of the current team especially Molina, and Carpenter. If you asked fans of other teams, like the Brewers, I am sure you will get a similar response.

Quote Originally Posted by PERHitKing View Post
    My take on the intense rivalry the Reds have with the Cardinals starts back in 2010. The Cardinals had been losing some very close games, not necessarily to just the Reds, and LaRussa was badmouthing and complaining to the press about their bad breaks. I believe i remember reading a articile where they even accused the Brewers of cheating after losing a game to them. Well, LaRussa brought his act to GABP and accused the Reds pitchers of using slipery balls, what followed could easily be predicted ,knowing Phillips likes to pull the tail on the Tiger now an again, Sometime in August 2010 Phillips let it be known he had enought of the Cardinals complaining and accusations, and that they should man up, well that lit the fuse. The next day, when Phillips came to bat,he tapped the shin guards of Molina, as a friendly hello, according to Phillips. Well that started a real fight, I sure you can look it up on the internet. And since that day it been tit for tat between the two teams , Chapman lets a 100 mph fastball get away from him and nearly hits a Cardinal, the next game one of the Reds will take one in the back, and its been that way ever since that August game. I wouldn't say I hate the Redbirds, but I sure harbor a very strong dislike for most of the current team especially Molina, and Carpenter. If you asked fans of other teams, like the Brewers, I am sure you will get a similar response.
    Did not know that. Was wondering why Cards fans always booed Phillips very time he did anything.

The rivalry is mostly new as far intensity. As perhitking notes. Before that the Reds just weren't very good while Saint Loo was in the same division. There have been brief periods in history where there was some intense competition but it never really developed into a "hated rival" thing (64-67, 38-41) because it was too brief or either the Reds or the Cards were not really close enough in the standings to make it heated.

Historically the relationship between the teams has been symbiotic - lots of trades, front office cross traffic, going back to the deadball days. Owners/GMs from the same family or the same guy with both teams. The move into the same division certainly has sparked a lot more intensity now that both teams are competitive.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

So it basically is a pretty new rivalry with the "highlight" of the 2010 brawl. Thanks for the answers

OP is clearly a Cardinals fan trolling.

Turn Off Ads?