Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the Cardinals currently the top team in all of American professional sports?

Are the Cardinals currently the top team in all of American professional sports?

Talk about a painful question to ask!

Their only competition, IMO, would be the Miami Heat of the NBA.

Their success is hard to swallow... worst part is how easy it all seems to come to that franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

Re: Are the Cardinals currently the top team in all of American professional sports?

Since 2000 it is hard to dispute although I'd argue the Patriots. 8 LCS appearances in 14 seasons.

Mathematically that should only happen over a 56-60-year span (once every 7-7.5 years per NL team, with most of the time the NL at 14 teams).

So in theory the Cardinals should be making their next rightful NLCS appearance in 2061. We can only dream...

4. Likes:

WMR (10-10-2013)

Re: Are the Cardinals currently the top team in all of American professional sports?

As much as it pains me, I would say that the Detroit Red Wings are slightly above them as far as this conversation is concerned. The only reason behind that is that they have done it for a bit longer than the Cardinals current run.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Blackhawks or Heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

7. Likes:

Joseph (10-10-2013)

Patriots, so much more difficult to sustain success in the NFL than it is in MLB.

9. Likes:

Edskin (10-10-2013), Revering4Blue (10-10-2013)

Yes...and yes it's hard to accept. If there ever was a model for Walt and bob to follow, the cardinals model would be what I try to mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    Yes...and yes it's hard to accept. If there ever was a model for Walt and bob to follow, the cardinals model would be what I try to mirror.
    You mean they should follow the plan they put into place when they were with the Cardinals?

I have no problem admitting that the Cardinals have been a great organization this past two decades. That just means that the Reds are on the same path.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You mean they should follow the plan they put into place when they were with the Cardinals?

I have no problem admitting that the Cardinals have been a great organization this past two decades. That just means that the Reds are on the same path.
    Yep, fully agree and the Reds franchise is in a great position right now. Actually light years ahead of the pre-Castellini and Jocketty days.

Maybe. Thing with the Cards is they haven't really separated themselves as the class of their own division. Their division title this season was the first in 5 years. I think if you look at playoff appearances and success I think you would have to go with the Cards as well as the Red Sox as the two top teams of the past decade.

In football I would lean towards NE and Pitt, maybe even throw Baltimore in that mix.

I find it ironic that the teams named Giants have been the biggest boom or bust teams in their respective sports. They make the playoffs and win the WS only to have years in which they fail miserably.

The Cards definitely are in the top tier of American sports.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-10-2013)

Cincinnati sports has been, IMO, very disappointing for nearly all of its existence.

The Reds have had good runs in the 70s and in 90.

The Bengals had good runs in the 80s and in the early 00s.

But I think something that always gets overlooked is the fact that Cincinnati sports has to compete against arguably the 2 best franchises in their respective sports.

In baseball, we have to compete with the Cardinals who have been possibly the best NL franchise (argument can be made the Yankees are most successful franchise in MLB), especially in the last decade and a half.

In football, we have to compete with the Steelers who probably are the best NFL franchise, definitely in the last decade and a half.

I know I am a bit off topic, but I told my dad that he was lucky growing up. He got to grow up while watching the Big Red Machine and the Bengals of the 80s, while nearly my whole life, I have been used to seeing not only losing products in Cincinnati sports, but most of the time they are close or near the bottom of the barrel in their sports. However, I think both franchises are headed in the right direction and I am glad and excited to hopefully see a sustained period (knock on wood) of winning and, hopefully, postseason success.

How cool would that be to see the Bengals hang a banner in 2014 Super Bowl and then see the Reds hang a banner 8 months later!?! Just need Peyton Manning to break his leg or something, guy is unstoppable this year.
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'd have to go with the Globetrotters. All they do is win. :O)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

17. Likes:

757690 (10-10-2013), Beltway (10-10-2013), cumberlandreds (10-11-2013), HeatherC1212 (10-11-2013), MikeThierry (10-10-2013), NCCardfan (10-10-2013), Number_Fourteen (10-11-2013), Old school 1983 (10-10-2013), Spider Tre (10-11-2013), The Operator (10-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'd have to go with the Globetrotters. All they do is win. :O)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

19. Likes:

NCCardfan (10-10-2013), Revering4Blue (10-10-2013), Tom Servo (10-10-2013), Wonderful Monds (10-10-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (10-10-2013)

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Alabama Crimson Tide
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-11-2013)

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

And the Cardinals could go undefeated for the next decade and I'm not admitting nothing.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

23. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-10-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (10-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    I see what you did there.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Turn Off Ads?