Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Erardi: 5 things the Reds must do this offseason...

Re: Erardi: 5 things the Reds must do this offseason...

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    What about Cingrani?
    Don't trade starting pitchers who average 10ks per 9 IP.

On a side note the astros were historically awful, why did they have a 23 year old putting up numbers like that in the minors? He should have been called up long ago.

2. Likes:

Kc61 (10-12-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    No one has mentioned a catcher? Can we give up a little defense to get a catcher that bats .250-260 with 15 hrs and 65 rbi's? 8th and 9th in our batting order with Hannigan batting had a combined batting avg of about .135 Hannigan finished below .200... that's a horrible season with the number of AB's he had. We gave up defense in center this past year for offense..how did that work?
    That would mean giving up on Mesoraco. He deserves one more year, IMO.

I do wish the Reds would have resigned Navarro, though. He was fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    On a side note the astros were historically awful, why did they have a 23 year old putting up numbers like that in the minors? He should have been called up long ago.
    I think you just answered your own question. There was never any need to rush the kid.
    Choo got it, dude.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Why waste his cheap are years on a historically bad team?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The article, IMO, doesn't really address the pressing issues on offense that plagued this team this past season, other then saying we need to find a stop-gap for Choo and put Hamilton back in AAA (which I agree with).

Any stop-gap we find certainly isn't going to give us the caliber of season at lead-off that Choo gave us. So IMO, there's a downgrade. Just read where the A's are going to exercise the '14 option on Crisp.

But what about at the #2 and #4 spots?
    Last edited by GAC; 10-12-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Why waste his cheap are years on a historically bad team?
    You beat me to it.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Does anybody agree that the best way to treat billy Hamilton is to send him back down?

I keep waiting for Hamilton to stumble and he just keeps being billy Hamilton.

Isn't it time to free billy h?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

We already acquired one of my favorite 3B I've ever seen play the game well past his prime, how about this expiring contract:

"On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

10. Likes:

marcshoe (10-12-2013), Tom Servo (10-12-2013), Wonderful Monds (10-12-2013)

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

The Diamondbacks might once again make for a reasonable trade partner. They have a lot of average-ish young CF types and another guy who I think is an interesting replacement for BP--Martin Prado...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

12. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-12-2013), mth123 (10-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    No one has mentioned a catcher? Can we give up a little defense to get a catcher that bats .250-260 with 15 hrs and 65 rbi's? 8th and 9th in our batting order with Hannigan batting had a combined batting avg of about .135 Hannigan finished below .200... that's a horrible season with the number of AB's he had. We gave up defense in center this past year for offense..how did that work?
    I think Mes can do that if given consistent playing time. We saw bits and pieces this past season. I think '14 will be his last chance to prove he can do it, and I think he'll be given the opportunity too.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If he can't stay healthy, he's no more valuable than the AAAA pitcher who gets called up to fill in for him.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    The Diamondbacks might once again make for a reasonable trade partner. They have a lot of average-ish young CF types and another guy who I think is an interesting replacement for BP--Martin Prado...
    Prado's precisely the kind of target the Reds should shoot for: affordable, big offensive upgrade at the small cost of a little defense.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Prado's bat would look really good in the #1 or #2 spot of the lineup. Not sure about his glove, but it is definitely versatile.

Prado, Guerrerro, Cozart, Profar and Frazier fighting for the three spots right of Joey works for me. I'd like to get Prado and one or two of the DBacks good young arms (starter and reliever) coming our way as well.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Prado does not hit right handed pitching particularly well, and he doesn't play defense nearly as well as Phillips. His positional flexibility is nice, but I would not want to give up much of anything for him. A good "buy low" candidate on the D-backs IMO is Adam Eaton. Bad year, recovering from injuries, but I see him as a legit .360+ obp leadoff man in the major leagues when at full strength.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

19. Likes:

REDREAD (10-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Does anybody agree that the best way to treat billy Hamilton is to send him back down?

I keep waiting for Hamilton to stumble and he just keeps being billy Hamilton.

Isn't it time to free billy h?
    They won't send him down IMO. His running is too valuable. He won't have that ability for too long, he must be in the bigs.

But he shouldn't be a starting player right away. I see BH starting off as a part time player and pinch runner.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-12-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Turn Off Ads?